Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7854
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which SDHC card?" Previous topic | Next topic
konj Registered since 14th Mar 2013Thu 14-Mar-13 11:46 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which SDHC card?"

FR

Hi,
There are so many cards out there and I'm a bit confused. I shoot mainly photos, but occasional videos. Shoot JPEG Fine/Large. I know it's best to use class 6 or 10, but which brand and type? Thanks for your help. Have a great day.
Phil

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which SDHC card?
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses
14th Mar 2013
konj
14th Mar 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses
14th Mar 2013
konj
14th Mar 2013
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
15th Mar 2013
konj
15th Mar 2013
Sasquatch519
28th Mar 2013
konj
28th Mar 2013
chesterdawg Silver Member
28th Mar 2013
konj
28th Mar 2013
ned2021
02nd Jul 2013

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Thu 14-Mar-13 12:48 PM
3290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which SDHC card?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

We don't know which camera body you use but the instruction manual will tell you the brand, size and type of the cards you can use. For example the D3200 Approved memory card table shows cards in class 6 or faster and from 2 GB SD cards to 128 GB SDHC cards and SDXC cards from 48 GB to 64 GB from SanDisk, Toshiba, Panasonic and Lexar. I'm sure there are cards made by other companies that work but these were tested by Nikon when the manual and camera were released.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

konj Registered since 14th Mar 2013Thu 14-Mar-13 12:54 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which SDHC card?"
In response to Reply # 1

FR

Sorry Len, I forgot to mention I have a D5100. Thanks.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Thu 14-Mar-13 04:34 PM
3290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which SDHC card?"
In response to Reply # 2

Hatboro, Pa, US

The D5100 manual pretty much lists the same cards as the D3200. The D5100 is a slightly older body so the manual is lacking a couple of the higher capacity cards but I would expect it would use the same cards as the D3200.

Len

konj Registered since 14th Mar 2013Thu 14-Mar-13 05:03 PM
#4. "RE: Which SDHC card?"
In response to Reply # 3

FR

I ended up getting a Lexar Premium(in U.S. it's Platinum II) 32GB Class 10 200x 30MB/s High Speed SDHC Memory Card. That should be more than sufficient for our trip next month.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 15-Mar-13 12:44 AM
26755 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Which SDHC card?"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 15-Mar-13 12:44 AM by MEMcD

US

Hi Philip,

Welcome to Nikonians!

I would recommend getting at least one extra memory card to add to your kit. especially if you shoot Raw or plan on shootinng video.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

konj Registered since 14th Mar 2013Fri 15-Mar-13 12:57 AM
#6. "RE: Which SDHC card?"
In response to Reply # 5

FR

I actually bought two Lexar Premium cards. Had a SanDisk Ultra SDHC 16 GB from my last camera. Well prepared now. Thanks for your help.
Phil

Sasquatch519 Registered since 26th Mar 2013Thu 28-Mar-13 02:29 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Which SDHC card?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

According to Nikon, the largest card the D5100 supports is the 64GB Sandisk Extreme. I've verified that this card works on my D5100. I'm not sure about other 64GB cards. Most people seem to stick to getting a few smaller cards to limit losses from cards getting lost or damaged.

D5100
AF-S 18-300mm 3.5-5.6
AF-S 10-24mm 3.5-4.5
AF-S 50mm 1.8
SB-700

konj Registered since 14th Mar 2013Thu 28-Mar-13 05:39 PM
#9. "RE: Which SDHC card?"
In response to Reply # 8

FR

Thanks for taking the time to supply the info. I agree with you about smaller cards. 32Go is enough for me.

chesterdawg Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2010Thu 28-Mar-13 01:17 PM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Which SDHC card?"
In response to Reply # 0

Commerce, US

amazon basic class 10 work fine for me. Never had a problem with sandisk either.

Steve

konj Registered since 14th Mar 2013Thu 28-Mar-13 05:41 PM
#10. "RE: Which SDHC card?"
In response to Reply # 7

FR

I'll try the Amazon Basic, but for everyday photos at first. Thanks. Have a great day.

ned2021 Registered since 02nd Jul 2013Tue 02-Jul-13 01:07 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Which SDHC card?"
In response to Reply # 10

CA

Bought a SDXC 64GB card for my D3100 last month for $14 free shipping. Took 3 weeks to receive it in the mail but was worth it. Great card:
http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/239186699.html

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7854 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.