Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7852
View in linear mode

Subject: "Teleconverter TC-20E III Compatibility " Previous topic | Next topic
dperry23 Registered since 02nd Mar 2013Thu 14-Mar-13 06:33 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Teleconverter TC-20E III Compatibility "

US

I own a D5100, and I am looking to purchase 70-200m F2.8 VR II and the Teleconverter TC-20E III. I can’t find anything definitive stating whether this combination of equipment will work. If so, what are the limitations?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Thu 14-Mar-13 09:40 AM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Teleconverter TC-20E III Compatibility "
In response to Reply # 0

Norwalk, US

Yes it works, without any limitations, except of course the loss of image quality going through a TC.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Thu 14-Mar-13 11:28 AM
3034 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Teleconverter TC-20E III Compatibility "
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 14-Mar-13 11:33 AM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

Here is the TC compatibility table taken from the Nikon USA web site.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_INC/IMG/Assets/Common-Assets/Images/Teleconverter-Compatibility/en_US_Comp_chart.html

Note, this chart does not appear to take into account the latest Nikon bodies which can auto focus at f8 and larger.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 14-Mar-13 08:36 PM
25940 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Teleconverter TC-20E III Compatibility "
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Demetrius,

The TC-20E III is fully compatible with the 70-200mm f/2.8G ED IF AF-S VR when mounted on any Nikon DSLR including your D5100.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 15-Mar-13 01:01 PM
26656 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Teleconverter TC-20E III Compatibility "
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Additionally, you should also expect some loss of AF reliability when using this TC. It's not colossal, but it's definitely noticeable. Usually an f/2.8 lens + TC-20eIII is somewhat less likely to lock onto a target than a longer f/5.6 lens, under the same conditions. Why this is the case, I don't know, but it's definitely the case even on top-spec AF systems like CAM3500 - I presume that the D5100's CAM1000 is at least as affected if not more.

It's still a viable combination, but without such a warning, one often wonders if something is wrong.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7852 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.