Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Have D5100, Best FX to add under $2K?

pixelcat photo

Round Rock, US
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
pixelcat photo Registered since 21st Apr 2012
Sun 03-Mar-13 06:44 AM

I have a D5100 currently and want to add a full-frame Nikon that has good low light capabilities with little noise. I have one FX lens, a 24-105 mm. The rest are DX lenses (10-24 Sigma, 55-300 Nikon VR, 28-55 Nikon kit lens, and a 50mm 2.8 AF Nikon). I shoot with the 24-105 the most (portraits and a lot of band photography with available light) and with the Sigma next (landscapes).

I am thinking about buying a used or refurbished D700. A friend has one that he let me use and I was impressed with the low light photos I took of some performances-- and his wedding!

What do y'all recommendation? I'd like to do more weddings (used to do those in the 80's with film) so I understand the larger sensor is better.

Or should I stick with the DX and get a D7000? I really can only spend 2K for now, and I'd like a more durable, weather sealed body as well.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.