Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7720
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5100 battery indicator" Previous topic | Next topic
AlecScott Registered since 30th Jan 2013Mon 18-Feb-13 02:14 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 battery indicator"

GB

The battery indicator in my D5100 has 3 'bars' but fails to operate shortly after reaching 2 bars. My experience is;
Three bars indicates battery is good
Two bars indicates battery is going to fail imminently
One bar doesn't figure at all!
This weekends experience. A check on the battery life shows 2 bars so I don't bother recharging for the next day. Next day take a couple of shots and the camera fails to focus and the battery indicator flashes. Remove the battery, heat up in my hand and replace. Two bars showing and I manage another 15 shots before total failure.
Do I have a faulty battery? Is there any way to check this?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Mon 18-Feb-13 05:53 PM
706 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 battery indicator"
In response to Reply # 0

Norwalk, US

This happens to mine when the camera is cold. The battery meter reads out from the SBS chip on the battery (the battery has a monitoring processor inside of it), but the low battery indicator is triggered by voltage.

To see if your battery is faulty, I'd have to know how many shots overall you got - if it's over 500 using CIPA type conditions (no live view, just stills), your battery is more than okay.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 18-Feb-13 09:24 PM
26403 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 battery indicator"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Alec,

It is normal for batteries to lose power when they are exposed to cold temperatures.
Batteries rely on chemical reactions to produce electrical energy. As the temperature decreases the chemical reaction slows down thus reducing the energy available to power your camera. In cold temperatures, always keep a spare battery in an inside pocket. When the one in the camera starts loosing power switch them out.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7720 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.