Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7696
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5200 L-Plate" Previous topic | Next topic
RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Fri 15-Feb-13 12:38 AM
2964 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5200 L-Plate"

Raleigh, US

Does anybody know if the Really Right Stuff L-Plate for the D5100 will also fit the D5200?

Rocky

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5200 L-Plate
jec6613 Silver Member
15th Feb 2013
RockyIII Gold Member
15th Feb 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
15th Feb 2013
RockyIII Gold Member
15th Feb 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
15th Feb 2013
RockyIII Gold Member
16th Feb 2013
Sewerrat
16th Feb 2013
PBlais Silver Member
29th Mar 2014

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Fri 15-Feb-13 01:06 AM
601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5200 L-Plate"
In response to Reply # 0

Norwalk, US

Although I have not tried it and do not yet own the D5200, I can say with certainty that the molded battery grips are interchangeable, so it should work without an issue.

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Fri 15-Feb-13 12:35 PM
2964 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5200 L-Plate"
In response to Reply # 1

Raleigh, US

Thanks. I guess I should check with RRS to make sure before ordering one, although they may not know yet.

Rocky

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Fri 15-Feb-13 06:11 PM
490 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: D5200 L-Plate"
In response to Reply # 2

Martinsville, US

Have you actually looked at one? if it use the same form factor (width and length) are the same. should. Why not take the item to you camera store and hold it up to the 5200 and see if it works.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Fri 15-Feb-13 06:26 PM
#4. "RE: D5200 L-Plate"
In response to Reply # 3

Raleigh, US

I do not have a D5100 L-Plate to try. Here is the reply to the e-mail I sent to Really Right Stuff:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks for the inquiry. However it's not currently our intention to design camera specific plates for the D5200 and without one in house to perform tests I wouldn't be able to guarantee a fit of the D5100 plate on the newer model. All indications are the body has changed enough the D5100 L-Plate wouldn't be an appropriate fit.

If you send me pictures of the bottom and side profiles of the D5200 lined up next to a metric ruler I'm sure we could find a conventional plate that would mount (no L-Plate, though).

Rocky

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Fri 15-Feb-13 06:41 PM
601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D5200 L-Plate"
In response to Reply # 4

Norwalk, US

Well that's annoying. I suppose that Plan C (their idea is Plan B) would be to just buy it from a place with good return policy and hope for the best?

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Sat 16-Feb-13 03:53 PM
#7. "RE: D5200 L-Plate"
In response to Reply # 4

Raleigh, US

Here is the reply I received from Kirk when asking if their D5100 L-Plate will fit the D5200:

Sorry it will not. We do not offer a custom bracket for the 5200.

Rocky

Sewerrat Registered since 01st Nov 2012Sat 16-Feb-13 03:32 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D5200 L-Plate"
In response to Reply # 0

US

This is why I try to buy my cameras as they are coming out with new models. Buying the older model saves money as they will lower the price to get rid of inventory and make room for the new model. Plus, since the camera one is buying has been on the market a bit, the aftermarket companies already have out their gear for these models.

I love RRS L-Plates so much that I would not even buy a camera that had no L-Plate option. I have one for both my D200 & D5100 bodies.

They may say they have no plans but if the camera sells well and they feel they can make some money, there's no doubt in my mind that they would come out with a version for the D5200 eventually.

PBlais Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2014Sat 29-Mar-14 09:41 PM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D5200 L-Plate"
In response to Reply # 6

Hayes, US

The Sunwafoto DLP-04 fits the D5200 pretty well. It was designed for the D7100. I suppose a D7100 plate might still work as the D5200 is about the same thickness plus has multipe slots to set the 1/4 inch bottom screw.

The only issue with I have is that it blocks the door with all your connectors. If I move the camera to the farthest slot it will allow a tight fit for a shutter release or other cable in portrait mode with the door open. The molded straight connector on a shutter or tether cable is tight to make a 90 degree bend out the side - BUT it can be done.

When the camera is installed to the plate there is a back porch lip that will prevent twist. It's made out of nice metal like you would really love. In landscape mode it is GREAT! It works in portrait too but with the above issue that could be better. The really nice plates don't get made for the D5200 but then they cost $90 more.

I've looked high and low and never found anything. On a risk I tried this one - it works. Even better it is WAY cheaper the RRS plates and I like those. I also have the rotator / indexer they make as well. They have some really very nice Pano kit too. They machine nice metal and it is worth a look.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7696 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.