Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7616
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question - Nikon D5200 or D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
Chuckv Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Mar 2009Thu 07-Feb-13 03:16 PM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Question - Nikon D5200 or D7000"

Lafayette, US

Both Camera can be bought for close enough the same amount of moneys, and there are differences pro/con between them! I still want to have a Nikon DX camera in my group and I've sold my D300 (shouldn't have), and my D7000 (Shouldn't have), and now trying to figure what to go back to?

Chuck

Chuck Vincent, P7000, F100, D100, D700, D4

Nion Lens- 50 1.8, 28-105 F3.5/4.5D Macro, 28-300, 24-70 2.8, 85 F1.4D, 70-200 2.8

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 07-Feb-13 09:39 PM
25886 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Question - Nikon D5200 or D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Chuck,

The D5200 has more resolution and a newer sensor. It also has a penta-mirror finder, no sub-command dial (finger wheel), and doesn't have dedicated buttons to quickly change settings without going in to the menu.

The D7000 has a penta-prism finder (that is much brighter than the penta-mirror finder),
both Command and Sub-Command dials ( just like the D300 and D700), and dedicated buttons to quickly change settings without going into the camera menu.
It also has an AF motor built into the camera body that supports the screwdriver type AF lenses.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 08-Feb-13 12:34 PM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Question - Nikon D5200 or D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

My choice would be to go with the D7000. While the D5200 has the articulated LCD screen and a higher resolution sensor, in practical shooting situations the higher resolution of the D5200 is a benefit when extreme crops are needed and at that only a little. I would think that auto focus with your screw drive D lenses would be more important. You will also be able to meter with manual focus lenses after adding the lens data in non-CPU lens data menu.

I have the D5100 and the D3200 and mostly only see the resolution improvement of the D3200 when viewing at 100%.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Tue 12-Feb-13 10:13 PM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Question - Nikon D5200 or D7000"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 12-Feb-13 10:14 PM by jec6613

Norwalk, US

I agree with all of the above, there are pros and cons to both, not counting weight.

The difference between 16 and 24 MP isn't very much in practical use, although it does make your files that much larger, but let's do a quick rundown:

D5200 Pros:
- Very slightly better low light performance.
- Higher resolution.
- Light weight.
- Articulated display.
- Better video modes.
- Mounts pre-AI lenses (read: very old manual focus).

D7000 Pros:
- More physical control points, including a sub command dial.
- Magnesium body (D5200 is plastic).
- Some weather sealing.
- AF fine tuning.
- Metering with manual focus lenses.
- Optional battery grip.
- Longer battery life.
- Higher speed continuous drive.
- Deeper effective buffer (smaller file size).
- Dual SD card slots.
- Can autofocus with all AF lenses, not just AF-S.

I have the D5100, and I'm very glad I own it, as it's a fabulously lightweight body, especially with the 35 f/1.8 on it; however I definitely feel it's lacking in certain tasks and wish I also owned a D7000. Even now that the D5200 is out in the US, and I obviously own a bunch of compatible accessories (not the least of which are power related), I'd still go with the D7000 as a second body - the weather sealing, higher build quality and extra command dial are invaluable.

That said, unless you're planning on going out and buying new glass for the D5200, your situation favors the D7000 even more than mine - you have a bunch of screw drive glass (every single one with an aperture ring, so go look at them), and the D5200 won't autofocus with them at all.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7616 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.