Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7604
View in linear mode

Subject: "Does anyone sell the D3200 body only?" Previous topic | Next topic
NikonMark37814 Registered since 20th May 2010Wed 06-Feb-13 02:47 PM
1125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Does anyone sell the D3200 body only?"

Morristown, US

I have several DX lenses that I use with my D300s and D2x. I'd like to pick up a D3200 body only. The problem is, everyone sells the D3200 as kits? My budget is $500. I would think the body only would sell for under $500.

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 06-Feb-13 04:52 PM
3298 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Does anyone sell the D3200 body only?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

Mark, my local dealer splits up kits, but normally when the lens is an expensive model. I don't know about the D3200 with say a AFS18-55mm VR. You might see if a local dealer will work with you.

Len

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Tue 12-Feb-13 11:37 PM
720 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Does anyone sell the D3200 body only?"
In response to Reply # 0

Norwalk, US

Nikon does not package the D3200 without a lens - it's designed as an entry level body, for people without any lenses. Once you've graduated from it, you're supposed to move into the D5x00 series of cameras, which do come body-only.

You can find it used or split out of a boxed kit from some dealers, but as it has the 18-55 mm VR as the only lens option, my guess is that it will be difficult to locate. Very rarely, you can also find a refurbished D3200, but they show up and disappear very quickly, and all of the Nikon refurbs come with lenses.

I'd take a long look at the D5100, I think you may like it better if you were thinking about a D3200, given your other bodies the D5100 is likely easier, and it's right in your budget, as well.

Tony1337 Registered since 20th Jan 2013Wed 20-Feb-13 09:57 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Does anyone sell the D3200 body only?"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 20-Feb-13 10:08 AM by Tony1337

US

>I'd take a long look at the D5100, I think you may like it
>better if you were thinking about a D3200, given your other
>bodies the D5100 is likely easier, and it's right in your
>budget, as well.

I would second this. Pretty much the only advantage of D3200 is more pixels. However, we're getting to the point where sensors are outresolving lenses, so 24 MP might not be such a huge advantage over 16 MP. With the D5100, you get more advanced features like bracketing, articulated screen, finer ISO settings, and slightly longer battery life. They're both pretty close, though. If I were you, I would get the refurbished D5100 with lens from Adorama, which at $439 is truly a steal.

As a general rule, a higher-end model that's one generation old is likely to be the same price as the model just below it that's current, but will almost always be better for the serious shooter, barring tremendous improvements in sensor technology, processing, etc. (For example, I would argue that the D7000 is better than the D300.)

jwstl Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Feb 2013Mon 11-Mar-13 07:26 PM
92 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Does anyone sell the D3200 body only?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I don't know if you purchased your 3200 or not but I'd thought I'd share this deal. Cameta has a Refurb with 1 year warranty for $435. I ordered one to partner with my D7000 as a simple, light-weight travel carry around camera. It may be limited functionality but, according to Thom Hogan, it has (from Oct. 2012) the best sensor in any DX camera, and that's what I'm looking for. I have a few quality DX lenses that will work well with this camera.

http://www.cameta.com/Nikon-D3200-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body-Black-Factory-Refurbished-69675.cfm

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7604 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.