Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7580
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5100 ISO speed problem" Previous topic | Next topic
sam49 Registered since 01st Feb 2013Sun 03-Feb-13 08:26 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 ISO speed problem"
Sun 03-Feb-13 08:27 PM by sam49

GB

Hi guys can I please ask for a little help.
After using a Canon A1 SLR, for a number of years with 135 negative films, but that was a long time ago. Then recently I’ve only used a point and shoot digital camera for the last few years.
Now I have bought a Nikon D5100 and I am having a little trouble with it so I would like to ask a question.
If I try and shoot indoors under tungsten lighting in auto mode I get I get an orange tinge on the photos.
I understand this is the white balance setting and it is not adjustable in the Auto setting so I have tried the (Program) and (Aperture) mode setting then I can set the white balance to tungsten, but then the ISO is auto set to 100, and then the shutter speed is too slow.
So my question is how high I can set the ISO before I the photos with noise as I think this is the only way I can get a faster shutter speed.
I have tried upping the ISO to 1200 but then I have to use the widest aperture in can get on my 18 to 105 mm f3.5 to 5.6 lens and even then I can only use a slow speed.
Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5100 ISO speed problem
MEMcD Moderator
03rd Feb 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
12th Feb 2013
sam49
13th Feb 2013
kukui1967 Silver Member
14th Feb 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
14th Feb 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 03-Feb-13 09:46 PM
25570 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 ISO speed problem"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Edward,

Welcome to Nikonians!
You have a few options.
The D5100 should produce a reasonably clean image up to about ISO 3200. ISO 3200 is a 1 1/3 stop difference compared to ISO 1200 which will allow you to use a shutter speed twice as fast as the one you were using and stop the aperture down 1/3rd stop.
Always use the lowest ISO setting possible for the given subject and ambient conditions.

You can also set the ISO to Auto mode with the minimum shutter speed set to 1/60th or 1/80th sec. and the maximum ISO set at 3200.

Another option is to use the built in Speedlight.
Depending on the situation, you will want to keep the ISO set to 800 or lower when using flash and the WB set to Auto or to flash if the flash will be providing well over two stops of the exposure or more.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons1

Best Regards,
Marty

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Tue 12-Feb-13 10:44 PM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 ISO speed problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Norwalk, US

I agree that the D5100's auto WB tends to be off under incandescent lamps (although the warmth isn't always a bad thing, sometimes it's useful), but I think your issue is far simpler than the above:

You seem to be digging through the menu to change settings, such as WB, by hitting the menu button. However, just to the right of the viewfinder is a little, "i," button. This lets you change the on-screen settings of the D5100, such as ISO, metering, AF and so on.

I know you didn't want a RTM answer (nobody ever does, do they?), especially since the D5100's manual is like a phone book, but there you have it.

sam49 Registered since 01st Feb 2013Wed 13-Feb-13 09:54 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5100 ISO speed problem"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 13-Feb-13 09:57 AM by sam49

GB

I know you didn't want a RTM answer (nobody ever does, do they?), especially since the D5100's manual is like a phonebook, but there you have it.

Yes I agree a RTM answer is not what I wanted as I have read the manual over and over and im still puzzled.

I have found button you spoke about and that makes it a lot better

Thank you

kukui1967 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2011Thu 14-Feb-13 06:24 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5100 ISO speed problem"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu 14-Feb-13 06:32 PM by kukui1967

US

You can also turn on the High-ISO Noise Reduction feature ...

This is under Menu -> Shooting -> High ISO NR

May slow down the memory buffer a little bit, but so far it has been effective for me when shooting JPEGs up to ISO 1600. Note that it won't work when you're shooting RAW images, though ...

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Thu 14-Feb-13 07:28 PM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D5100 ISO speed problem"
In response to Reply # 4

Norwalk, US

>
>May slow down the memory buffer a little bit, but so far it
>has been effective for me when shooting JPEGs up to ISO 1600.
>Note that it won't work when you're shooting RAW images,
>though ...

When doing long exposures, turning this on as well as long exposure NR kills any hot pixels that the sensor may have, even in RAW, so it does make a small difference when shooting RAW. Generally though, if you're using RAW you should just kill the noise manually.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7580 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.