Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7576
View in linear mode

Subject: "Rule of thirds" Previous topic | Next topic
ronshep2 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2013Sun 03-Feb-13 11:28 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Rule of thirds"

GB

How to bring up the "Rule of Thirds" grid on Nikon D3200 please.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Rule of thirds
Leonard62 Gold Member
03rd Feb 2013
avm247 Moderator
03rd Feb 2013
JosephK Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
jeffcs Silver Member
07th Feb 2013
Skyco Silver Member
09th Feb 2013

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 03-Feb-13 01:16 PM
2694 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Rule of thirds"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 03-Feb-13 01:38 PM by Leonard62

US

I don't know of any Nikon camera that has that grid. Why do you think the D3200 has it?

If you want a grid to help you visualize your composition better, get into LiveView mode and press the info button until a grid appears. It divides the screen into Fourths.

You can also get a custom screen from KatzEye. A Rule of Thirds grid is available as an option. Contact them here.

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/page--Custom-Focusing-Screens--store.html

The custom grids are here.

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/page--Grid-Lines-Crop-Guides--grid%20lines.html

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberSun 03-Feb-13 05:31 PM
18153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Rule of thirds"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Page 85, D3200 User Manual

Pressing the info button with cycle through a series of display options when using Live View: show photo indicators -> show movie indicators -> hide indicators -> framing grid -> (back to show movie indicators.

I didn't see any Menu option to turn on On-Demand Grid Lines in the viewfinder, as there are on other Nikon DSLRs. (I don't have a D3200.)

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 04-Feb-13 01:01 AM
3701 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Rule of thirds"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Unfortunately, the D3200 does not have a framing grid inside the viewfinder like the high-end cameras have. However, you can use the middle focus points to give an approximation for subject placement.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 07-Feb-13 12:29 AM
110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Rule of thirds"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu 07-Feb-13 12:33 AM by jeffcs

egg harbor twp, US

I have a feeling your talking about the "B" screen generally used for archaical photography. This screen is used to line up tall buildings when using a "PC" lens so the building stands up streight in the image

Note this screen is only available on the upper prosumer or pro bodies
And it is accessed in the menu of said bodies

Hope this answers your questions

Keep shooting and enjoy your Nikons

Jeffcs

Skyco Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Mar 2012Sat 09-Feb-13 02:32 AM
119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Rule of thirds"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 09-Feb-13 02:36 AM by Skyco

Roanoke Island, US

>How to bring up the "Rule of Thirds" grid on Nikon
>D3200 please.

I agree with Joseph K - use the focus points - and with practice you will learn to see the "Rule of Thirds" without a grid. And occasionally one can break the rules - but be very careful and intentional about that.

I used the focus points on a D3100 to maintain a level horizon - especially important over wide bodies of water.

Well Wishes,

Ken

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skyco_g/

"Humans don't rise to the occasion. Instead, we fall to our level of training and experience". Archilochus, a Greek soldier and poet.
The best photo advice I ever received was at a John Shaw workshop. "... Practice your craft... ... Pixels are free...Practice... experiment with your camera".

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7576 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.