Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7532
View in linear mode

Subject: "D3200 focus adjust info" Previous topic | Next topic
nnikonk Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Mon 28-Jan-13 02:55 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D3200 focus adjust info"

Edinburgh, GB

As I have used my D3200 a bit more, I noticed that it back focussed a bit. It did this with all my lenses in a similar way. The start of 'in-focus' was just beyond the point I had focussed.
Well it appears that inside the shutter box are a pair of hex screws which have the effect of adjusting the mirrors' positions and might be used to correct the cameras back or front focussing. There are a couple of articles in the web on this. Obviously this is pretty fine stuff. You have to rotate the screw with an allen key inside the mount mouth with the mirror up (I used the clean sensor position so the sensor was also exposed.) One slip and you no longer have much of a camera left.
Feeling brave today, I thought that I would have a go. Well it is obviously trial and error, taking shots after each adjustment and deciding whether to rotate the screw further in one direction or go the opposite way. Well luckily after a few cycles of adjusting and shooting I now have the focus point nicely inside the area of focus in the image. This is true for all my lenses and I feel much more secure in using my D3200 now.
I have on purpose not referenced the websites as this is undoubtedly a risky procedure, could damage your camera irreparably and certainly invalidate any waranty. If you want to take that risk, you can do a search on the web. I pass this on merely for info and you are on your own if you try it and it goes wrong.
Cheers.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 28-Jan-13 03:34 PM
26065 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D3200 focus adjust info"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Eion,

Glad to hear that you were able to make the adjustment yourself without any problems.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7532 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.