Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7521
View in linear mode

Subject: "High Def photography" Previous topic | Next topic
we6harringtons Registered since 27th Jan 2013Sun 27-Jan-13 04:16 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"High Def photography"

US

Hi, everyone.
I am learning about my D3100 and realized that my photos have a pretty low resolution and can't be printed in 8x10 or larger. How do I change this?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: High Def photography
coolmom42 Silver Member
27th Jan 2013
we6harringtons
27th Jan 2013
JosephK Silver Member
27th Jan 2013
John Bertotti Gold Member
28th Jan 2013
coolmom42 Silver Member
28th Jan 2013
Statelinebassman
01st Feb 2013
aolander Silver Member
27th Jan 2013
we6harringtons
27th Jan 2013
JosephK Silver Member
28th Jan 2013
we6harringtons
28th Jan 2013
MEMcD Moderator
28th Jan 2013
we6harringtons
28th Jan 2013
29th Jan 2013
we6harringtons
01st Feb 2013
01st Feb 2013
MEMcD Moderator
28th Jan 2013
blw Moderator
29th Jan 2013

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Sun 27-Jan-13 05:04 PM
3046 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: High Def photography"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 27-Jan-13 05:06 PM by coolmom42

McEwen, US

Menu button--shooting menu (camera icon)---image quality. Then hit the OK button on the right, and it will show you the image quality options. Choose JPEG fine, then OK again. That will give you the highest resolution JPEG possible. Then scroll down to image size, hit the OK button, and choose LARGE.

Those settings will get you a 4602 x 3012 pixel image.

Some people will say you need 300 pixels per inch for an acceptable image. Others will tell you 100 pixels per inch is adequate. What you need depends on what you find acceptable. I try to go no lower than 150 pixels per inch. The largest image I've ever had printed from my D3100 was 16 x 20, made from a slightly cropped JPG.

The printed user's manual that came with your D3100 is not the full version. Here is where you can download the full version:

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16910/~/user%27s-manual---d3100---guide-to-digital-photography

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

we6harringtons Registered since 27th Jan 2013Sun 27-Jan-13 05:18 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: High Def photography"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thank you! So if I go to edit the photo and do some cropping, will I still be able to print larger sizes?

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 27-Jan-13 07:23 PM
4480 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: High Def photography"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, WA, US

It will depend on how much cropping you do. The number of pixels you have left does matter.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Mon 28-Jan-13 03:09 AM
715 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: High Def photography"
In response to Reply # 1

Garretson, US

Will the 3100 shot in RAW? Seems a better choice if a lot of cropping and editing is being done. Just curious I dont have a 3100.

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Mon 28-Jan-13 10:43 AM
3046 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: High Def photography"
In response to Reply # 7

McEwen, US

>Will the 3100 shot in RAW? Seems a better choice if a lot of
>cropping and editing is being done. Just curious I dont have a
>3100.

Yep the 3100 does shoot RAW. I do all the time. But the OP clearly was interested in JPG.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Statelinebassman Registered since 31st Jan 2013Fri 01-Feb-13 12:33 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: High Def photography"
In response to Reply # 1

US

There is also a reference manual for the D3100 that you can download from the Nikon support site. It should also be on the software disc that comes in the camera kit.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sun 27-Jan-13 07:25 PM
3256 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: High Def photography"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

You don't want to crop excessively, but you can crop modestly and have enough pixels to print larger. If you cropped an image down to say 3600 x 2400 pixels, you could print at 300 ppi and get an 12 x 8 inch print. Or at 150 ppi, you would get a 24 x 16 inch print. A lot depends upon the quality of the image, i.e. how sharp it is, etc., and from what distance the print will be viewed. If you want huge prints, you will need to buy a D800.

Alan

we6harringtons Registered since 27th Jan 2013Sun 27-Jan-13 07:47 PM
#5. "RE: High Def photography"
In response to Reply # 4

US

K so maybe I need to back off on the cropping. Thanks again for input.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 28-Jan-13 01:26 AM
4480 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: High Def photography"
In response to Reply # 5

Seattle, WA, US

Sounds like you need some longer lenses or just need to get closer to your subjects.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

we6harringtons Registered since 27th Jan 2013Mon 28-Jan-13 04:23 AM
#8. "RE: High Def photography"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Yes it will shoot in RAW but I heard you have to convert it to JPG and it sounded so confusing.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 28-Jan-13 03:01 PM
26082 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: High Def photography"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Hi Terri,

It is really quite simple to convert Raw (NEF) files to jpeg or even Tiff files using Nikon View NX2 (free) or Nikon Capture NX2 (free trial) since both automatically read and include all in camera settings in the conversion.

The primary advantages of shooting Raw is Raw files have significantly more information than Jpegs that provides much more latitude for adjustments. Just like a film negative. You can make adjustments to a Raw file without loosing any information.
Every time you adjust a Jpeg and resave it information is lost.

Most third party software also have Raw converters though you must adjust many of the in camera settings in the computer since they can not read the in camera settings.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

we6harringtons Registered since 27th Jan 2013Mon 28-Jan-13 11:06 PM
#12. "RE: High Def photography"
In response to Reply # 10

US

I will try shooting in raw. Thanks for all the advice.

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Tue 29-Jan-13 05:15 AM
715 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: High Def photography"
In response to Reply # 12

Garretson, US

I would edit in raw simply because it doesn't degrade the image like jpg, then save a copy with edits as a jpg if you wish. I was just curious what you wanted jpg for or more so wondering if you wanted to edit in jpg.

we6harringtons Registered since 27th Jan 2013Fri 01-Feb-13 02:48 AM
#16. "RE: High Def photography"
In response to Reply # 13

US

I read that you had to convert them to use them. Can a photo in RAW be used just like one in JPG?

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Fri 01-Feb-13 03:05 AM
#17. "RE: High Def photography"
In response to Reply # 16

Garretson, US

Raw is a lossless format editing and such does not degrade the image and can be undone. Jpg is not that way, there is only so much data and every edit changes and loses some of the data degrading the image. How bad it is damaged depends o. How much editing you do. You can edit your raw image archive it and also just make a jpg copy of it for emails and posting etc. some will tell you just openo g and closing a jpg cause it damage but I don't believe that and have seen no proof to support it,, manipulating a jpg does the damage. It is usually simple to make a jpg or tiff copy of a raw image. How depends on the software you use.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 28-Jan-13 03:13 PM
26082 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: High Def photography"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Hi Terri,

I forgot to mention that the D3100 will allow you to shoot both Raw and Jpeg Fine Large simultaneously. In other words the camera will create two seporate files: a NEF file and a Jpeg file.
This will allow you to practice converting the Raw files and still have the Jpeg to fall back on.
Keep in mind that Raw Files are larger and require more Hard Drive space to store.
That is the only downside. That said, Hard Drives are reasonably cheap so it is not much of an issue.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 29-Jan-13 09:20 AM
26708 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#14. "RE: High Def photography"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

You've received good advice so far. Generally speaking you do not want to crop too far. BUT everything is relative, and it is CERTAINLY the case that you can go further with images that were captured with good technique, good support, good lenses, etc. Most beginners overlook this consideration - which is actually a much bigger contributor than it may seem.

Also, not for your immediate use, but do be aware that software is now good enough to print at least twice as big as you've seen with generally very high quality. Depending on the image and how well it was captured, processed and printed, I've seen 4mp originals printed beautifully at 16z20. Of course, doing this requires the very best all the way through the chain, but it can be done. Your D3100 can produce a 14mp file.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7521 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.