Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7439
View in linear mode

Subject: "YN-565" Previous topic | Next topic
adinis Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jun 2012Wed 16-Jan-13 01:55 AM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"YN-565"

US

I own a D3000 and thinking of getting a YN-565 speedlight. I am wondering if anyone is here has been using it if so, what are your recommendations? I just recently had a baby and I would like to take as many indoor pictures as possible and I don't think the pop up flash is suitable for newborns as it being shot directly towards my baby. Thanks for your help.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: YN-565
John Bertotti Silver Member
16th Jan 2013
MEMcD Moderator
16th Jan 2013
Fortkentdad
16th Jan 2013
Fortkentdad
16th Jan 2013
gkaiseril Gold Member
16th Jan 2013
adinis Silver Member
16th Jan 2013
MEMcD Moderator
16th Jan 2013
adinis Silver Member
16th Jan 2013

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Wed 16-Jan-13 04:13 AM
569 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: YN-565"
In response to Reply # 0

Garretson, US

You could get a diffuser for the on board flash, save then for a nikon SB flash because the CLS system works great and non nikon flashes, as far as I understand it, don't support CLS.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 16-Jan-13 08:27 AM
25662 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: YN-565"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Antonio,

Assuming your budget is tight, I would recommend trying to find a used or refurbished SB-600 or SB-700.
Metz also builds Quality Speedlights like the 36 AF-5 ($119.00) or the 44 AF-1 ($189.00).
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Fortkentdad Registered since 01st Sep 2012Wed 16-Jan-13 01:45 PM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: YN-565"
In response to Reply # 2

Fort Kent, CA

I too looked at the cheaper options for a speedlight trying to get over the sticker shock. I was talked out of it by the good folks here at Nikonians and bought an SB700 and have not looked back.

IF you are either knowledgeable about manually setting flashes or are prepared to invest the time to become so, then you may save you pennies and go for an off brand. IF most of your flash shots are going to be in similar environments then I suppose you can play around with the settings and learn what works and what does not. You'd want to learn at least the best setting for your typical indoor shot in your house in the daytime (lots of light from the windows) and after dark when the only ambient light is you house lighting. And you'd want to learn how to do fill flash with the off brand. That too is useful.

IF not, then the ttl (through the lens) auto feature of an Nikon speedlight is a great thing. I use that almost exclusively. That is worth the extra $ because you do not end up with completely washed out over exposed photos.

As for CLS (Creative Lighting System) that too might be a great thing, but until you buy a second flash you're probably not going to be using the CLS. You might want to read up more about it. It looks like a cool thing. Your 3100, like my 5100 does not include a built in commander mode to control one Nikon flash off the camera. I know the SB700 attached to my camera has this command mode built in, so it effectively adds this CLS capacity to my camera, I'd need to buy a second (and third) Nikon flash to get the maximum benefit of three flashes controlled by the one on your camera using the TTL exposure control feature. Lots to learn there.

IF you do not see yourself getting into CLS and just want better snapshots of your child using something better than the built in flash look at the SB400. It is a step up, does not cost a fortune and does have the TTL feature. I do not thing it works in the Nikon's CLS lighting system.

http://en.nikon.ca/Nikon-Products/Product/Flashes/4806/SB-400-Speedlight-Unit.html Canadian Price $149, retailers may sell for less (and often do, I've seen it for $110).

I'd recommend an SB400 over the off brand, if you are not prepared to shell out the $ for an SB700.

Buying used is also an option as mentioned in the other post.

FKD
Alberta CANADA

Fortkentdad Registered since 01st Sep 2012Wed 16-Jan-13 01:50 PM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: YN-565"
In response to Reply # 0

Fort Kent, CA

I looked up the discussion from last year, it is in the Flash section entitled "Pondering which flash to buy"

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=154&topic_id=59255&prev_page=show_topic&gid=59255#59256

You may want to read through the advice I got.

There would be no real difference between the flashes recommended for the D3100 vs D5100.

FKD
Alberta CANADA

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 16-Jan-13 02:27 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: YN-565"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 16-Jan-13 02:28 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

You can get additional help in the Speedlights forum. There are some very experienced flash users and even an Electrical Engineer there that can provide more information. There is also a long and technical post discussion about how the CLS system communicates.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

adinis Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jun 2012Wed 16-Jan-13 07:27 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: YN-565"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed 16-Jan-13 07:30 PM by adinis

US

Thank you all, i will probably go ahead and look into the SB400, if i can find it for the same or less than the YN-565 i might as well get it. I dont think ill be getting into CLS so i would not beed a speedlight that supports it. I will also take a look at the links you guys have provided, when i get a minute, still trying to get into a routine with my newborn. One quick question, would the SB400 be automatic and have zoom just as the YN-565? Thank you all again for the help

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 16-Jan-13 10:49 PM
25662 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: YN-565"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi Antonio,

>One quick question, would the SB400 be automatic

Yes! The SB-400 is fully i-TTL compatible.

>and have zoom just as the YN-565?

No! The flash head of the SB-400 does not zoom but the head can tilt up to 90 degrees for bounce flash.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

adinis Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jun 2012Wed 16-Jan-13 11:42 PM
#8. "RE: YN-565"
In response to Reply # 7

US

>Hi Antonio,
>
>>One quick question, would the SB400 be automatic
>
>Yes! The SB-400 is fully i-TTL compatible.
>
>>and have zoom just as the YN-565?
>
>No! The flash head of the SB-400 does not zoom but the head
>can tilt up to 90 degrees for bounce flash.
>Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!
>
Thanks for that, I guess I need to do a bit more research and then decide between the two of them

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7439 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.