Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7438
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5100 shutter.. Help!" Previous topic | Next topic
swcrihfield Registered since 16th Jan 2013Wed 16-Jan-13 02:36 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 shutter.. Help!"

US

Hi! I purchased a D5100 last April and it has been working wonderfully, but last week when I had in it aperture priority, shutter priority, program or manual (any manual setting) the shutter acts kinda as if its getting stuck. It will close then take about 20-30 seconds to open back up and finish the shot. Kinda like its trying to do the bulb or time lapse photography. All of the other pre-programmed modes (auto, portrait, landscape etc)work perfectly fine, so I thought maybe I had accidentally turned on something that would cause this, but I have went in and reset all of my settings, cleaned the sensor, and made sure the time lapse exposure is off. Help!! Lol i have posted this in the repair forum too hoping i can find someone that can hell..advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Sam

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 16-Jan-13 09:03 AM
26766 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 shutter.. Help!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Samantha,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Sorry to hear of your problem.

What is the shutter speed?

In the Shooting menu (Camera Icon)
What Release mode is set in the menu?

Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

NorthBay Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2013Wed 16-Jan-13 03:37 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 shutter.. Help!"
In response to Reply # 0

Janesville, US

When you “reset all of my settings”, did you use the two-button reset? That way you know everything is back to the factory defaults.

TJ McCarthy
WarAxe Photography

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

swcrihfield Registered since 16th Jan 2013Wed 16-Jan-13 03:48 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5100 shutter.. Help!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I did the two button reset, and nothing changed.. The settings for the auto (which is working fine) is 1/13 and f5.6 so that's what I set in aperture priority manual and shutter as it is still sticking an showing blurred pictures. Then i set it in aperture priority and did it on the lowest setting to let all the light in that I can and it automaticallyput my settings at f5.6 and 4"....still doing the same thing.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 17-Jan-13 12:19 AM
26766 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5100 shutter.. Help!"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Samantha,

Is Long Exposure Noise Reduction turned ON?
After you capture the image do you see Job nr blinking in the viewfinder?

You are obviously shooting in very low light.
Given the slow shutter speed I would expect the images to be blurry if you are not using a tripod.

Does the built in Speedlight pop up when you are in Auto mode?

Try setting the camera in Manual exposure mode with the shutter speed set at 1/60th sec. or faster. Is the camera ready to capture another image immediately or is there still a delay. (Note: the image will probably be very dark.

What happens in P, S, A, or M exposure modes when you shoot outdoors in daylight?
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7438 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.