Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7432
View in linear mode

Subject: "Image corruption D3100" Previous topic | Next topic
mareng Registered since 14th Jan 2013Mon 14-Jan-13 09:05 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Image corruption D3100"

Thatcham. GB, GB

I take say 5 images in RAW, download via cable to computer using Nikon ViewNX2 software.
As soon as I edit an image I get verticle or horizontal coloured lines through the image.
I always reformat my card in the camera and this has happened to old cards as well as brand new cards (Sandisc 4& 8GB Extreme).
Uninstalled Nikon Software and did a scanreg to remove remnants from Registry, Re-installed software from Nikon website. Carried out a computer System scan and sent to Nikon (all fine).
Firmware up to date. Camera takes good pictures but sometimes after downloading images are corrupted or become corrupted with editing, sometime ok. This also happens in Jpeg.

Will be sending camera to Service Centre, but dont think its mechanical.
Whe I noticed it there were affected images and unaffected images side by side.
Anyone any ideas.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 14-Jan-13 11:20 PM
24996 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Image corruption D3100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi David,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Sorry to hear of your problem.
Have you tried using a Card Reader to download the image files from the card to your computer?
Are the NEF files ok when you first open them?
How are you saving the images?
As NEF's, Tiff's, or Jpegs?
Are you batch converting them?
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

mareng Registered since 14th Jan 2013Tue 15-Jan-13 04:40 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Image corruption D3100"
In response to Reply # 1

Thatcham. GB, GB

I found the problem. During the download or after disconnecting the images were being corrupted by a DW external hard drive that is on a lead and USB.
Disconnected the external hard drive and t shot about 70 scrap images and a movie and all images and movie came out fine.
I tried it with a card reader when I was having problems and it didn't make any difference. I prefer to use a permanently plumbed in USB cable rather than disturb the card and chance damaging the camera card door.
The images come off the camera as RAW and I convert to Jpegs if required always dumping the images not required.
The images used to be fine on the camera.
Thanks for your interest and advice.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 15-Jan-13 10:36 PM
24996 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Image corruption D3100"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi David,

Wiring the camera directly to the computer to download images actually puts more wear and tear on the camera and increases the likelihood of a problem than removing the card and using a Card Reader to download images.
I shoot significantly more than most and have been using a Card Reader to download my images since I transitioned to Digital about 8 years ago. In that time I have not had a problem with any of my 8 DSLR bodies.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 15-Jan-13 10:38 AM
26291 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Image corruption D3100"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Is this visible when you view the images in the camera? If not, I would try downloading via a card reader and simply using your Explorer or Finder (Windows or Mac).

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7432 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.