Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #739
View in linear mode

Subject: "Where to from a D5000" Previous topic | Next topic
glm Registered since 16th Sep 2009Sat 10-Oct-09 02:08 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Where to from a D5000"

AU

Hi All,

I have only had my D5000 for a short time and I must say that I love it. However I may be in a position to upgrade soon and wondered what Nikon Ishould look at. I would be looking to make this upgrade the last camera purchase for quite a while - well my wife would!!

Any thoughts?

Ger

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Where to from a D5000
WD4MLA Silver Member
10th Oct 2009
glm
10th Oct 2009
MEMcD Moderator
10th Oct 2009
snapsh0t
11th Oct 2009
Ramesses
11th Oct 2009
ssmumich00
12th Oct 2009

WD4MLA Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sat 10-Oct-09 03:16 PM
897 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Where to from a D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

Sylva, US

Hi Ger

What features are you looking for that you D5000 does not have? Is it falling short of any present needs, or are you just wanting to upgrade because of NAS?

I am just trying to determine if you can outperform your present camera or not. If not, you could be disappointed in an upgrade. Buying a better camera or lens will not make you a better photographer. But on the other hand, if you want or need features the D5000 doesn't have, that is a different story.

Good luck on your decision.

Jerry Jaynes
Great Smoky Mountains
of North Carolina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_jerry_jaynes/

glm Registered since 16th Sep 2009Sat 10-Oct-09 10:00 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Where to from a D5000"
In response to Reply # 1

AU

Its maybe more of an opportunity to have the best possible camera that may not come along again.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 10-Oct-09 06:04 PM
25648 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Where to from a D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Gerard,

Welcome to Nikonians!
As stated above, what doesn't the D5000 do that you need?
I assume you have one of the kit lenses. Have you considered adding a new lens? The largest investment most of us have is in "Glass"!
Bodies come and go, but glass lasts a lifetime. I am still using 30 year old lenses with my newest camera bodies.
Something to think about!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

snapsh0t Registered since 30th Aug 2009Sun 11-Oct-09 06:51 AM
157 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Where to from a D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

As the others have said, wait until you need an upgrade and buy the current model then. A D300s (say) may have some toys the D5000 doesn't but the image quality will be almost identical. Better glass is probably the way to go at the moment.

Jonathan

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Sun 11-Oct-09 07:20 AM
2035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Where to from a D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Gerard:

I agree with the other posters. The way to go is to invest in lenses. Camera bodies are disposable; lenses outlive digital cameras.

I just sold my D300 and got the D5000. I cannot tell the difference between the two when it comes to photos. In fact, the D5000 might be cleaner (less noise) at high ISOs than the D300 – newer and improved Xpeed chip, I guess. My other camera is the D700, but that is a $2,400 without counting the FX lenses, which are more expensive than the DX ones.

The only issue I have with the D5000 is that under a bright sunlight, it is very hard for me to see the numbers in the viewfinder. That might me because I’m using the DK-21 magnifying eye-piece. I have to try other eyepieces, which I have, to see if the problem persists. Besides that, it is a fantastic little camera.

I got the D5000 for street shooting and just finished uploading the photos I took, today, in Venice Beach (south of Los Angeles and very famous for its bohemian crowd – to put it mildly.) I used the D5000 and the 16-85 VR. One thing, though. I always use the first three to four photos for information purposes of the place I shoot. My D700 would not have done better under the sun:

http://www.hektorsphotos.com/Souther-California/Los-Angeles/Venice-Beach/9922879_jjTXb/1/676718925_eJ2kN

Best Regards,

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos

ssmumich00 Registered since 20th Mar 2009Mon 12-Oct-09 03:28 PM
429 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Where to from a D5000"
In response to Reply # 5

US

i'd wait for the new DX sensor to come out in a few years before I upgraded bodies. . .that CMOS 12mpx is an awesome high-ISO sensor, so get better glass in the mean time. . .

Suggestions:
35 1.8
50 1.4G
60 2.8
105 2.8
70-300 VR
50-200 VR

all AF on the D5k, all great and sharp, and make an awesome travel light combo (well, except for the 70-300)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #739 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.