Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7386
View in linear mode

Subject: "D3200 Controls" Previous topic | Next topic
pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Wed 09-Jan-13 02:25 PM
543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"D3200 Controls"
Thu 10-Jan-13 01:39 PM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

Just purchased the D3200 Nikon Camera.
On my Previous D3000 (which I still have) after taking a Picture and the taken picture disappeared from the screen, (it could be recalled by pressing the top button on left side - looks right facing arrow pointer). It would go back to the Info screen so you could make adjustment for next picture.

In setting up the 3200 I must have set something the wrong way. when the picture disappears from the screen. The screen is Blank and you have to punch the info button to make it come up. next to the on off switch.

I've taken a few test shots and some were pretty good others were out off focus. I attribute this to user error I did make two fairly good shots of my cat though, and a Couple Cloud patterns in Morning Sky in morning sky That turned out well.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://phillipjones-cet.net

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D3200 Controls
jeffcs Silver Member
10th Jan 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
10th Jan 2013
jeffcs Silver Member
10th Jan 2013
jeffcs Silver Member
10th Jan 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
11th Jan 2013
John Bertotti Silver Member
11th Jan 2013
08th Feb 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
09th Feb 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
11th Jan 2013
jeffcs Silver Member
11th Jan 2013
11th Jan 2013
jeffcs Silver Member
12th Jan 2013
12th Jan 2013
jeffcs Silver Member
12th Jan 2013
12th Jan 2013
jeffcs Silver Member
12th Jan 2013
12th Jan 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
12th Jan 2013
jeffcs Silver Member
12th Jan 2013
12th Jan 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
13th Jan 2013
13th Jan 2013
jeffcs Silver Member
13th Jan 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
14th Jan 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
15th Jan 2013
jeffcs Silver Member
31st Jan 2013
31st Jan 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
31st Jan 2013
jeffcs Silver Member
31st Jan 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
01st Feb 2013
02nd Feb 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
31st Jan 2013
jeffcs Silver Member
02nd Feb 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
03rd Feb 2013
jeffcs Silver Member
03rd Feb 2013
03rd Feb 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
05th Feb 2013
jeffcs Silver Member
06th Feb 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
08th Feb 2013
jeffcs Silver Member
08th Feb 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
09th Feb 2013
jeffcs Silver Member
14th Feb 2013
jeffcs Silver Member
14th Feb 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
15th Feb 2013
14th Feb 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
15th Feb 2013
jeffcs Silver Member
12th Mar 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
13th Mar 2013
13th Mar 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
14th Mar 2013
14th Mar 2013
jeffcs Silver Member
14th Mar 2013
jeffcs Silver Member
14th Mar 2013
pjonesCET Gold Member
24th Mar 2013
jeffcs Silver Member
12th Apr 2013

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 10-Jan-13 10:54 AM
110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 0

egg harbor twp, US

I've read your post 3 times trying to understand you question so I grabbed my D3200 took a shot and yup the image is there after capture
Look in your settings (menu) under play back menu image review should be indacated as "on"

Hope this helps

Keep shooting and enjoy your nikon

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Thu 10-Jan-13 01:52 PM
543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 10-Jan-13 01:55 PM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

After I re-read my message I can see why you didn't understand it. Sometimes what by brain sees and what my hand writes are two different things.

I've have double checked Playback menus review is on.

What I didn't explain well is, that after the reviewed picture (just after taking picture) disappears it doesn't revert back to info screen, just a Black screen.

I think I might do a whole camera reset and reset up everything, if I can't figure it out.

BTW way here are two of the best shots. On the shot of my cat. cats are a very fidgety type animal and its hard to take a picture without them moving. "Boots" seems to have a knack for posing.

and here is the best of the sky Pictures.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 10-Jan-13 11:45 PM
110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 2

egg harbor twp, US

Ok I think I've got it
Go into your menu you have the rear screen shut off but the photo review on I do beleave that is why

Question
When you turn camera on is the "info" screen on on the back of your camera

Let me know

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 10-Jan-13 11:49 PM
#4. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 3

egg harbor twp, US

By the way take a closer look at Boots your shutter speed was too slow ether you moved or boots moved durning capture

Just a good hint for nice crisp photos you can boast about

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Fri 11-Jan-13 09:38 PM
#6. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 4

Martinsville, US

Cats are nervous things, they are full of nervous energy. so she don't sit still for long. It probably a combination of me and boots moving.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Fri 11-Jan-13 10:52 PM
569 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri 11-Jan-13 11:06 PM by John Bertotti

Garretson, US

Some set their shutters faster but I have been practicing my hand holding. It helps to work on technique on these hires camera IMHO, I find the d3200 less forgiving then the camera I used before.

Check what the sleep timer is set for on your display. I will pull mine out shortly and type up a path, off the top of my head I don't remember. I wonder if the display isn't just set to off.

Edit to add- just checked mine it also takes a pic the. Shows it and the display then goes to sleep. I went through my menus and don't see a way to make the info screen stay on. Might be in the manual somewhere. I actually like it off until I want it on. I think it saves on batter life.

Oh either info button or a half press of the shutter button will bring it back up.
I set my AE-l/AF-l button to AE-l lock and hold. And the function button to ISO seems to work well for me since I am still forcing myself to use manual almost all the time. How are you setting yours? I have noise reduction on and distortion control on as well. Is your firmware the latest?

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Fri 08-Feb-13 09:18 AM
569 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 4

Garretson, US

Ok let me get this straight in my head. New d3200 with 18-55 kit lens. Pictures are soft to just slightly out of focus. You have tried the 18-55 from your d3000 kit and they are sharper by a bit.

Have you used the 55-200 or the prime? Where they sharp? My 35 mimed prime is sharp well as sharp as my skills allow it to be.

At first I thought the lenses where a limiting factor but the more I use the camera the more I see my own failing in the shot. For me reading that vr needed a second or two to sell te in really cleaned up a lot of my pictures. I don't think that is your problem. I am curious how all of your lenses do. Might be time to get a tech to look at your gear. Or return the kit for a new one.

In all my D3200 searches I have yet to see anyone say they have had a problem with one so I can't help but wonder if you got a kit with a problem. Just wondering out loss. Did you try the tripod yet

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sat 09-Feb-13 03:32 PM
#40. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 38

Martinsville, US

Haven't tried the 55-200 yet the other lens the 35MM F1.8 seem to be sharper as was the 18-55 Lens from the older 3000 camera.

I think the 18-55 out of the 3200 box is slightly off. who knows maybe it would work better on the 3000 but don't see how. I put the 3000 away removing the battery and removed the Memory card.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Fri 11-Jan-13 09:36 PM
#5. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 3

Martinsville, US

Yes it comes on with the Info screen on but once you take the first picture the info screen doesn't come back you have to press one of the info button then it goes off.

in my 3000 when the the picture taken after the temporary review is over it goes back to the info screen.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 11-Jan-13 11:38 PM
#8. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 5

egg harbor twp, US

Pj
Go into your menu settings and look at the rear panel settings
Go into menu and check it for how long the info screen is to be displayed it may be set extreay short or turned off
I know the manule that comes with the camera is at best pf little value however Nikon has the camera manual is on line will explain in greater detail

Good luck it is a really good camera I've gotten some wonderfully images

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Fri 11-Jan-13 11:43 PM
#9. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 8

Garretson, US

The whole manual is also on a disc.

As I understand it be is t so concerned with the picture review duration but wants the info screen to come back on after picture review.

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sat 12-Jan-13 08:09 AM
#10. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 9

egg harbor twp, US

Correct I still think something in PJ's menu is turned off
This is why PJ needs to turn on the menu screen and go through each setting for "camera info of screen display" p

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sat 12-Jan-13 08:19 AM
#11. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 10

Garretson, US

Could be, does your info screen come right back on after an image? I tried mine and it doesn't. Luckily I don't want it to. I wonder what his display sleep timer is set to.

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sat 12-Jan-13 08:22 AM
#12. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 10

egg harbor twp, US

PJ I've just read the Manuel
Go to the tools section
Find "auto info display" it needs to be designated as "on"
Also if you press the shutter button the image review wi turn off

Hope this helps
Enjoy your Nikon
Keep shooting

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sat 12-Jan-13 01:59 PM
#13. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 12

Garretson, US

My auto info display is turned on but when an image review shuts off the info doesn't come back on. I wonder either mine is not working right or maybe it has something to do with the sleep timer. If I remember right my display is set to a short time.

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sat 12-Jan-13 04:39 PM
#14. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 13

egg harbor twp, US

I just shot an image and I let the image review time out again like your D3200 the info screen also does not return (it goes black/blank)
I than reviewed the Nikon Manuel about this and Guess what
Its the way the camera is built as soon as the shutter or info button is pressed the info screen reappears

Enjoy your Nikon
Keep shooting PJ

Jeffcs

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sat 12-Jan-13 04:42 PM
#15. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 14

Garretson, US

Well I am glad to see that, I was going through the menus now also and could not find a way to get the info screen back up. At least we know they aren't broke. I rather prefer it this way. I don't like the screen on unless I turn it on. Thanks!

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sat 12-Jan-13 10:26 PM
#16. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 15

Martinsville, US

Different Strokes for different Folks. I prefer the info screen screen to come back on after taking a shot (after the picture just taken was just reviewed. I like to make sure my aperture settings or shutter speed are set like I want or I may want to change them them between shots. Now I have to hit the I button or hold in or constantly hit it.

I think it is the way Nikon desires for the work. I am slow and methodical. I make mistakes when I work fast. I don't suppose anyone from Nikon reads any of these post. I prefer the way it works in the 3000.

Seems like when Something is set up just right. Someone comes along and fixes something that don't need fixing.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sat 12-Jan-13 10:36 PM
#17. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 16

egg harbor twp, US

Every tool works just a little differently from model to model

I keep the info screen off as for me it is annoying to me

Good thread I've learned something

Jeffcs

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sat 12-Jan-13 11:42 PM
#18. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 16

Garretson, US

Although there is no setting to get the info screen back on after a shot you can play with the auto timers settings to adjust how long each screen stays on once it is turned on.

I find the info screen very useful and have actually had to force myself to learn to read the same information in the VF because I constantly take the camera from my face to read the info display.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sun 13-Jan-13 02:24 AM
#19. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 18

Martinsville, US

I went into setup and setup self-timers duration to Long. now it stays on long enough I can setup Camera. Its an almost acceptable workaround for something that should not have been changed.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sun 13-Jan-13 02:45 AM
#20. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 19

Garretson, US

You could do a custom time. I think it offered some longer times.

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sun 13-Jan-13 04:51 PM
#21. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 19

egg harbor twp, US

To answer with a quote
Change is inevitably always a constant
if you don't change than expect to get
run over by those who strive to make
changes in life better for most

Love all my Nikons

Hope you all do as well

Keep shooting

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Mon 14-Jan-13 01:24 AM
#22. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 21

Martinsville, US

That may be true and I am not ojecting to change else I would not have bought my 3200.

But as many have found out, in a whole lot of different things in life, not all change is good.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Tue 15-Jan-13 07:37 PM
#23. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 22

Martinsville, US

I've upload to my Gallery Under the 3200 Test album, some new Photos. One taken with part of person head chopped off on with focus not in right position. Were taken by a Person that never used a DSLR Camera Before.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 31-Jan-13 03:23 AM
#24. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 23

egg harbor twp, US

Phillip
I'm just checking in on you
How are you making out with your D3200
I do hope your finding this to be a truly amazing camera
Jeff
Keep shooting and enjoy your Nikons

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Thu 31-Jan-13 04:08 AM
#25. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 24

Garretson, US

I'm with Jeff! How's it going? I find the clarity of my pictures is better now then when I first got it. I'm sure handholding technique and learning how the VR has to settle in are what improved my clarity. Have you seem this? You were already shooting a dslr so you technique was undoubtedly better then mine coming from P&S cameras.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Thu 31-Jan-13 09:52 PM
#27. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 25

Martinsville, US

Did finally figure out how to create movies. Found the only way you can create movies with Live view on. with it off, the record button doesn't even do anything.

If you want to see the Pictures or Videos look at:
http://phillipmjoneswebsite.shutterfly.com/

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 31-Jan-13 11:23 PM
#28. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 27

egg harbor twp, US

Phillip
What are your settings shutter speed etc

How high is your ISO settings

Jpeg only or are you shooting raw

If jpeg where do you have camera controls set
Sharpning - contrast - ect.

Are you sharpening in what solft ware.

I have found the higher the camera pixel count
The better your shooting skills must be

So hand holding never less than 125 or 200 second

Also if your using VR wait till it settles down

After you have achieved focus has your subject moved out of critical focus

I think you said your using 18/105 lens
If so don't shoot that any lower than about F8
I do think sweet is F5.6 to F8

Meet shooting and enjoy your Nikons
Jeff

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Fri 01-Feb-13 09:44 PM
#29. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 28

Martinsville, US

Some were shot without flash to avoid red eye. Max ISO was 1600
using 18-55mm standard lens and 50mm (with F 1.8)
I have a 55-200mm lens but not 300.

Most shots I used 125 speed or better even the ones with flash which uses a lower ISO (400) still soft (not fuzzy or out of focus just soft) I used used AF-S maybe I should have used AF-c and 11point metering. I was able to take shots in my 3000 using the 11point even with AF-s this camera will only allow it AF-C Plus I had Noise reduction turned on here the 3000 I don't believe that setting exist.

When I took shot mostly I braced myself against a non movable object.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sat 02-Feb-13 02:08 AM
#30. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 29

Garretson, US

One quick way to rule out any hand hding technique would be to take some shots from the tripod, VR off and a slight delay so the mirror can settle in before the Perture is released. If they are good and sharp the. You know it is something you are doing. I am not saying it is but it is a good way to rule it out for everyone here trying to help you figure it out. Just a thought. I ca. Way my shots were soft or just downright blurry when I first started using the D3200 over time and by paying close attention to breathing and how I activate the shutter things have gotten much better. I do almost always use single point focus though, handheld VR on, at least on on the lenses I have that have it.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Thu 31-Jan-13 09:48 PM
#26. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 24

Martinsville, US

I'm getting along okay. My pictures don't seem to be as crisp as with my D3000. I wonder if the Noise reduction setting could be responsible.

See examples at http://phillipmjoneswebsite.shutterfly.com/
Some are out of focus as a result of the subject moving just as the shot happened. But even the ones that are dead on do not see crisp.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sat 02-Feb-13 10:20 PM
#31. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 26

egg harbor twp, US

Phillip
I think John might just be on to something
First go outside put your. Akers on a tripod
Shoot in AF single if your using AF-C camera might not hit critical focus
Pick a non moving subject photograph that
See if your image is sharp
Also asked
Are you shooting jepg
How do you have your camera set up

Jeff

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sun 03-Feb-13 02:39 AM
#32. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 31

Martinsville, US

I was using AF-S. I said maybe I need to use AF-C. on the 3200 the only way you can use the 11 point focus is with the AF-C setting on my 3000 I could use it on any metering system including 11.

I'll figure it out.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sun 03-Feb-13 03:59 AM
#33. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 32

egg harbor twp, US

AF-C will allow the shutter to trip even if focus is NOT achieved that's why I suggested you use AF-S you can allow the camera to focus before shutter fires

If your shooting jpeg go into the menu settings increase sharpness and contrast

If none of that works

Head off to your local camera store try a different lens or D3200

Good luck

Jeff

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sun 03-Feb-13 12:57 PM
#34. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 33
Sun 03-Feb-13 01:00 PM by John Bertotti

Garretson, US

I was thinking the same thing, might be time to get the gear checked out. I hesitated to say that until everything was checked good. I can't help but wonder though, it isn't a gear problem.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Tue 05-Feb-13 03:51 AM
#35. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 34

Martinsville, US

Well I still have my D3000 and still have it's 18-55 Lens. Maybe I'll swap the two lens.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Wed 06-Feb-13 02:20 AM
#36. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 35

egg harbor twp, US

Phillip
Jeff here
I'm chomping at the bit waiting to hear
what the out come is when you used
your old lens on your D3200
Sharpness contrast

Please post your findings

Thanks

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Fri 08-Feb-13 03:56 AM
#37. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 36

Martinsville, US

Chomp no more!

Tried the 18-55 lens off of my D3000 on my D3200. There is a definite difference for the better. Seems to be a little sharper.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 08-Feb-13 10:41 AM
#39. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 37

egg harbor twp, US

Phillip
Lens somewhat sharper good

Did you try your 35 F1.8

Wondering about sharpness on this lens

Also I see you shoot primarily jpeg

Did you ever check your camera controls set

Sharpness contrast on the D3200

Keep shooting

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sat 09-Feb-13 03:34 PM
#41. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 39

Martinsville, US

Is there a control for sharpest Contrast on the 3200? would love to set it.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 14-Feb-13 01:40 PM
#42. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 41

egg harbor twp, US

Phillip
Turn on D3200
Back of camera left side of screen
Press "menu" button
Second icon down picture of camera
Using the multifunction highlight camera it will turn yellow
Press the "OK" button you are in camera shooting menu
High light set picture control it will turn yellow
Choose a setting
( SD standard, NL neutral, VI vivid ect ) there are 6 to choose from
We will use standard for this
Highlight in yellow standard than using the multifunction button push the right arrow
This will bring up a sub menu where the following are set table
1) quick adjust
2) sharpening
3) contrast
4) brightness
5) saturation
6) hue

Try the settings to see what you like
You'll try this till you get what you like

Hope this helps

Keep shooting
Enjoy your Nikons

Jeffcs

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 14-Feb-13 01:49 PM
#43. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 42

egg harbor twp, US

Please note in addition this applies to nearly all Nikons in setting of shooting menu

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Fri 15-Feb-13 07:46 PM
#46. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 42
Sat 16-Feb-13 11:40 PM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

>Phillip
>Turn on D3200
>Back of camera left side of screen
>Press "menu" button
>Second icon down picture of camera
>Using the multifunction highlight camera it will turn yellow
>Press the "OK" button you are in camera shooting
>menu
>High light set picture control it will turn yellow
>Choose a setting
>( SD standard, NL neutral, VI vivid ect ) there are 6 to
>choose from
>We will use standard for this
>Highlight in yellow standard than using the multifunction
>button push the right arrow
>This will bring up a sub menu where the following are set
>table
>1) quick adjust
>2) sharpening
>3) contrast
>4) brightness
>5) saturation
>6) hue
>
>Try the settings to see what you like
>You'll try this till you get what you like
>
>Hope this helps
>
>Keep shooting
>Enjoy your Nikons
>
>Jeffcs

I went in to the menu and did a reset. Then went to Neutral seems to have cured the problem. I keep my guard up and may repost.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Thu 14-Feb-13 02:51 PM
#44. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 41

Garretson, US

On is there some reason you do not le raw? I switched from jpg to raw and think all my photos look better now but at first they didn't. I did have to practice on a picture for about a week until I started to get the hang of the basics of making the raw image look good. I just kept using the same image and saving it until I found what I liked and figured out what some of the basic controls did. Just curious.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Fri 15-Feb-13 07:38 PM
#45. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 44
Sat 16-Feb-13 11:44 PM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

>On is there some reason you do not le raw? I switched from
>jpg to raw and think all my photos look better now but at
>first they didn't. I did have to practice on a picture for
>about a week until I started to get the hang of the basics of
>making the raw image look good. I just kept using the same
>image and saving it until I found what I liked and figured out
>what some of the basic controls did. Just curious.

No particular reason other than the size. I didn't buy too large a memory card 16 GB, cost about $40.00. Its one of those Ultra high speed cards. Plus only the Nikon software and Photoshop Use it. Although a new Software Photo Mechanic (I am Trying out) might. (Though I don't see it really does anything other create jpegs from NEF files there is no way to make adjustments, other than it allows you to zoom in on a section of picture and make a new picture from it.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Tue 12-Mar-13 02:25 AM
#47. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 45

egg harbor twp, US

Phillip
Jeffcs here just checking in on your progress wih that great camera
Just to let you know I have joins a local camera club and took 3rd place with a dragon fly shot with the D3200 not paring me on my back just trying to point out this quality that comes out is really great.

Keep shooting and enjoy your Nikons

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Wed 13-Mar-13 01:25 AM
#48. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 47
Wed 13-Mar-13 01:42 AM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

Strange you revived this thread.
Just bought a 10-24mm Nikon Lens F/3.5-5.6

Just uploaded some test shots to my gallery in a album I believe I called New lens.

So I now have

besides the 18-55, 55-200 35MM F/1.8 lens I now have the 10-24mm All Nikon.

One inside shot with the 10-24 of the camera Bag inside you can even see the texture of the canvas cloth used. some shots were were shot shot using the built in flash others not.

I 'm into doing family tree stuff and I intend to use the 10-24 to take some shots at a Church , Church cemetery and and Family Cemetery.

Here is a Sample:

The actual quality is better than what I have uploaded I use iPhoto to reduce the size so I didn't use so much of my Gallery Space.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Wed 13-Mar-13 02:08 AM
#49. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 48

Garretson, US

Looks like that lens really worked out for you. Are you satisfied with the D3200 now?

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Thu 14-Mar-13 03:17 PM
#50. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 49

Martinsville, US

Yes. I guess so. doesn't seem to have to focus detail the 3000 has, but probably because of the larger sensor. And the Anti noise .

I'll have to break out the 3000 and try the lenses to see if there really is a difference or not.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Thu 14-Mar-13 03:43 PM
#51. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 50

Garretson, US

Yea that just doesn't seem right to me. I think mine is capable of some incredible detail but I never had a D3000.

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 14-Mar-13 10:31 PM
#52. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 51
Thu 14-Mar-13 10:33 PM by jeffcs

egg harbor twp, US

Phillip
Are you sure that you have adjusted the sharpness and contrast as I have suggested above in this thread
I honestly am not sure your getting all that the camera is capable of I have seen some of my images from the D3200 and my D800 look great and I've entered photo contrasts at our local camera club with winners from both cameras

I still think you should look into RAW you would be amazed at the difference in IQ

Enjoy your Nikons and keep shooting

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 14-Mar-13 10:35 PM
#53. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 52

egg harbor twp, US

>Phillip
>Turn on D3200
>Back of camera left side of screen
>Press "menu" button
>Second icon down picture of camera
>Using the multifunction highlight camera it will turn yellow
>Press the "OK" button you are in camera shooting
>menu
>High light set picture control it will turn yellow
>Choose a setting
>( SD standard, NL neutral, VI vivid ect ) there are 6 to
>choose from
>We will use standard for this
>Highlight in yellow standard than using the multifunction
>button push the right arrow
>This will bring up a sub menu where the following are set
>table
>1) quick adjust
>2) sharpening
>3) contrast
>4) brightness
>5) saturation
>6) hue
>
>Try the settings to see what you like
>You'll try this till you get what you like
>
>Hope this helps
>
>Keep shooting
>Enjoy your Nikons
>
>Jeffcs

I went in to the menu and did a reset. Then went to Neutral seems to have cured the problem. I keep my guard up and may repost.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sun 24-Mar-13 10:19 PM
#54. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 53

Martinsville, US

Update Just bought a 10-24 MM Nikor Lens for this camera

here is a sample shot: Note I have used Aperture 3 to tweak the focus only.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 12-Apr-13 11:00 PM
#55. "RE: D3200 Controls"
In response to Reply # 54

egg harbor twp, US

Phillip
Jeffcs just checking in with you
How are the pictures those days
Jeff

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7386 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.