Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7377
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5100 Zoom?" Previous topic | Next topic
superhatters Registered since 07th Jan 2013Mon 07-Jan-13 09:52 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 Zoom?"

GB

Hi- been using D5100 fine so far (I think).

But when zooming (using + button), it zooms and focuses fine, yet after taking the shot, the image taken is as if there was no zoom applied.

Have I changed a setting without realising it? Can anyone help?

Cheers

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5100 Zoom?
John Bertotti Gold Member
07th Jan 2013
blw Moderator
08th Jan 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
08th Jan 2013
grnzbra Silver Member
11th Jan 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
12th Jan 2013
grnzbra Silver Member
13th Jan 2013

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Mon 07-Jan-13 11:42 PM
717 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 Zoom?"
In response to Reply # 0

Garretson, US

On my 3200 there is no way to zoom the lens from the camera controls you have to use the zoom to ring on the lens. Pretty sure you 5100 is the same.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 08-Jan-13 01:03 AM
26716 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: D5100 Zoom?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

If you're using the + zoom button, you're only zooming the *display*. The ONLY way to zoom the image to be captured is to use the zoom ring on the lens. Note that not all lenses have zoom rings.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Tue 08-Jan-13 10:24 PM
3096 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5100 Zoom?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

The common way for Point and Shoot cameras is to zoom with a + or - button or a rocker switch while looking at the rear display or the viewfinder if it has one. That is not the case with digital SLR cameras and zoom lenses. The little P&S cameras just don't have room on the lens for this extra ring. If you are coming from a P&S camera for the first time you should read up on your camera and lens and become familiar with how all the controls work. And as Brian mentioned not all lenses for SLR cameras are zoom lenses.

Enjoy your D5100 camera. It will take beautiful photos for you. But become familiar with how it works at the same time. And use the viewfinder for your zooming and composition. It's the better way to go when hand holding the camera

Len

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Fri 11-Jan-13 06:31 PM
286 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5100 Zoom?"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 11-Jan-13 06:48 PM by grnzbra

Springfield, US

Ah, but if your camera is on a tripod and your target is stationary and you are using manual focus, using the zoom on the display will allow you to get extra crispy focus. I shoot birds with a telephoto lens. First I set up a target in the expected flight path and focus on it using manual focus and the display zoomed all the way in. I then remove the target and wait for the action to begin.

Of course, depth of field on a 500mm lens on a 5100 at 10 ft is less than 3 inches so there are a lot of throw away pix. But when the flight path is just right, you can get some nice pix.

I also use the same technique with portraits. In that case, the subject's eye is the target. Same for still life's and macros.

Be sure to zoom back out to check your composition. It's a bit of a shock when expecting to get just the polllen of a flower and getting the whole flower. (Although my "Flying Hybiscus" was a rather pleasant shock)

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 12-Jan-13 01:03 PM
3096 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D5100 Zoom?"
In response to Reply # 4

Hatboro, Pa, US

Of course zooming the display for precise LiveView focusing is extremely valuable. That's how I focus all my long lenses when the camera is on a tripod, especially my manual focus lenses.

The problem the OP was having was trying to zoom the lens by zooming the display and not the lens itself. Did you miss that part?

Len

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Sun 13-Jan-13 03:49 PM
286 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D5100 Zoom?"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon 14-Jan-13 05:56 PM by grnzbra

Springfield, US

No. Didn't miss that part; it was well covered. However, I thought he might then be wondering how one could use the display zoom.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7377 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.