nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7373
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5100 e-mail attachment?" Previous topic | Next topic
Hippomm Registered since 05th Jan 2013Sat 05-Jan-13 10:00 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 e-mail attachment?"

US

I've just bought D5100 from Costco. I'm not computer tech guy and can not figure out how to attach pictures to e-mail. I connected D5100 to computer via USB and was able to select pictures, however error message said it's not correct file names? I re-read user guide, but it shows only how to transfer photos to computer. I really don't want to transfer my photos to my computer which is very old and does not have much storage space. Please help me.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 05-Jan-13 10:53 PM
3368 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 e-mail attachment?"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

You will need to download your photos to a folder on your computer. You will then need to resize them as (even at the lower quality camera settings) they will be too large to send easily in emails. When you open the folder on your computer and select images, there probably (?) will be an option for "email" which will resize them appropriately. Otherwise, you will have to use some type of simple software to do this, like Picasa (free).

You have a nice camera. There are a lot of things to learn in order to get the best from it.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

TMHahn Registered since 02nd Jan 2013Sun 06-Jan-13 05:43 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 e-mail attachment?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

It's possible that your images are in NEF file type instead of jpg. My own mail client won't send a nef (RAW) file type and says it's not the right file type. Could that be what you're experiencing? When you look at the list of photographs, what is the file extension of the photographs (the letters after the dot)?

If they are jpg files, they may be too large, as was previously suggested. You will need to resize them before emailing them. If they are nef files, you will need to convert them before emailing them, I believe.

Tiffany M. Hahn
San Diego, California, USA

Nikon D5100 | Nikkor 18-55mm VR | Nikkor 55-200mm VR

Photoblog: http://tmhahn.com/blog
SmugMug: http://tmhahn.smugmug.com

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 01st Dec 2011Mon 07-Jan-13 04:23 AM
3098 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5100 e-mail attachment?"
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

Well first of all you can't store your photos on the camera indefinitely. So you do need somewhere else to store them. If your computer doesn't have much hard drive space, you can get a large USB external or jump drive and use that for storage. I'm assuming you have more than one available USB; if not, you can disconnect something temporarily or get a USB hub.

If you are shooting JPG you have options on file size. I don't know where this is on the D5100 menu but you should be able to find it in your user's manual. You can pick a smaller size if you want to email immediately.

Another option is to keep your larger file sizes and upload them to a site where you can share them. That way you won't have to email them.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7373 Previous topic | Next topic