Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7334
View in linear mode

Subject: "Reflex nikkor 500/8 on D5xxx or D3xxx" Previous topic | Next topic
meper Registered since 08th Dec 2012Mon 31-Dec-12 07:24 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Reflex nikkor 500/8 on D5xxx or D3xxx"

DK

Have some of you tried the Reflex nikkor 500/8 on e.g. D5100, D5200 or D3200?

The electronic rangefinder should not work as max. aperture is 8 (and not 5.6). But for this lens the electronic rangefinder is probably the most important feature. So, how does it work in real life?

If you have good light......does it work?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Reflex nikkor 500/8 on D5xxx or D3xxx
Leonard62 Gold Member
31st Dec 2012
meper
31st Dec 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
31st Dec 2012
meper
31st Dec 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
31st Dec 2012
meper
31st Dec 2012
blw Moderator
01st Jan 2013
meper
01st Jan 2013
blw Moderator
01st Jan 2013

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 31-Dec-12 07:32 PM
3109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Reflex nikkor 500/8 on D5xxx or D3xxx"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

I've used my 500mm f5 and 1000mm f11 on my D3200. They work fine but you need to mount it on a tripod and focus with LiveView. The camera must be in manual mode and you need either a light meter or a guess at the exposure. You can end up with very sharp photos.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

meper Registered since 08th Dec 2012Mon 31-Dec-12 08:44 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Reflex nikkor 500/8 on D5xxx or D3xxx"
In response to Reply # 1

DK

>I've used my 500mm f5 and 1000mm f11 on my D3200. They work
>fine but you need to mount it on a tripod and focus with
>LiveView. The camera must be in manual mode and you need
>either a light meter or a guess at the exposure. You can end
>up with very sharp photos.
>
>Len
>
>

You have a 500/5 and a 1000/11?
What about a 2000/11?

I know my 500/8 (newest version) can deliver sharp images but it is very difficult to "hit" focus. So it would be nice if the "green dot" in the finder worked.

Also macro shots on distance the 500/8 can be great (it can focus very close).

I saw a nikkor 6/2.8 fisheye on ebay...maybe it was something for you? ....it seems you have many of the exotic nikkors. The most exotic I have is a noct nikkor.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 31-Dec-12 08:54 PM
3109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Reflex nikkor 500/8 on D5xxx or D3xxx"
In response to Reply # 2

Hatboro, Pa, US

You really want to focus these lenses with a magnified LiveView screen. You'll get much better photos.

Here's a 500mm f5 photo on my D5100. The distance was about 200 meters. The lens was mounted on a tripod with gimbal head.

Now I would love to have a Noct Nikkor. However I do have a 50mm f1.0 Noctilux for my Leica M bodies.

I won't buy the Nikon fisheye lenses that require mirror up. But I'm still looking for a Nikon 8 mm f2.8 lens at a reasonable price.

Len

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

meper Registered since 08th Dec 2012Mon 31-Dec-12 09:21 PM
#4. "RE: Reflex nikkor 500/8 on D5xxx or D3xxx"
In response to Reply # 3

DK

>You really want to focus these lenses with a magnified
>LiveView screen. You'll get much better photos.
>
>Here's a 500mm f5 photo on my D5100. The distance was about
>200 meters. The lens was mounted on a tripod with gimbal
>head.
>
>
>
>Now I would love to have a Noct Nikkor. However I do have a
>50mm f1.0 Noctilux for my Leica M bodies.
>
>I won't buy the Nikon fisheye lenses that require mirror up.
>But I'm still looking for a Nikon 8 mm f2.8 lens at a
>reasonable price.
>
>Len
>

If the magnified live view it that good......so you can actual use it.
I only know it from the Coolpix 6000 and here it is useless.

Don't think you need mirror lock up for the 6/2.8:
http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/ai628.jpg
http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/ais628.jpg

....but it is very expensive.... USD 100.000?

The 8/2.8 is probably a better choice and easier to get into the field. The 6/2.8 is about 5 kg.

With all the exotic lenses like Leice 50/1.0 you could probably get a M9 also? .....but still you find the quality of the 5xxx series satisfying?

I can't think of other real exotic lenses I have.......but many of the very good like 105/2.5, 85/1.4 etc.....maybe the nikkor-P 105/4 bellows as not many were produced. I sold the 15/3.5 because it "flared" very easy.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 31-Dec-12 10:13 PM
#5. "RE: Reflex nikkor 500/8 on D5xxx or D3xxx"
In response to Reply # 4

Hatboro, Pa, US

I don't expect to buy a M9 until the price comes way down. I have two M8's and some beautiful M lenses that I currently use on a M4/3 camera with adapter. The D5100 is superior to the M8 and I expect about the same as the M9. While the Leica lenses are extremely good and are designed to be extremely sharp wide open and very distortion free, the Nikon system is much more versatile and easier to get perfect, in focus photos.

What I really enjoy is using camera bodies like the D5100 and D3200 which can actually look as good or out-resolve cameras like the D800. I don't care about features or built in meters or movies. These little cameras are amazing. And so are the photos they produce.

Len

meper Registered since 08th Dec 2012Mon 31-Dec-12 11:27 PM
#6. "RE: Reflex nikkor 500/8 on D5xxx or D3xxx"
In response to Reply # 5

DK

There are many of the old German lenses which are very good. I have shot a lot with old Voigtländer lenses and cameras and even after todays standard they are very good.

I look forward to the d5200. I don't know yet if I should get the body only or with the 18-55 VR included. It seems to be good for the money but the landscape images I have seen witht the lens set to infinity was not that impressive......like the lens was not able to outresolve the sensor at infinity. Especially not in the corners. Close up the lens seems better.

Look forward to see how the old 12-24 performs. It was a fine lens for the D2x....and the 17-35 also. And then we have all the old Nikkor primes. On of the sharpest lenses I have used is an old Nikkor H-C 50/2. Close up it has been an old 55/3.5 (Nikkor-P, compensating type).

Meper

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 01-Jan-13 12:30 AM
26735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Reflex nikkor 500/8 on D5xxx or D3xxx"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

> The electronic rangefinder should not work as max. aperture is 8

It does, although it's not terribly accurate. None of the focusing methods are all that accurate, EXCEPT LiveView, which is by definition very accurate.

All of these were shot without the benefit of LiveView (I think they're all from the D2h, which doesn't have LiveView at all).

I have a lot of shots with slightly missed focus, but the ones that come out are surprisingly good. These days I use the lens mostly for when I might need 500mm but don't want to (or cannot) lug around a big lens.

These are literally from the Tamron 500/f8 SP Reflex, but I've owned two Nikkor Reflexes, a Reflex-N (the latest model with the orange stripe and an older Reflex-C). The Tamron is essentially indistinguishable from the Reflex-N except at distances under about 10 feet, and is clearly superior to the Reflex-C. If you're going to use it as a pseudo-macro lens with an extension tube, the Reflex-N is better.

Actually the baseball shot is from a D3 - but any of the listed cameras will resolve even more.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

meper Registered since 08th Dec 2012Tue 01-Jan-13 01:10 AM
#8. "RE: Reflex nikkor 500/8 on D5xxx or D3xxx"
In response to Reply # 7

DK

I can see you have hit focus very well. So magnified live view is the way to go....or just try and hit....

Think I have had a Tamron 500/8 but sold it as I found the Nikkor 500/8 N better. I remember the Tamron to be physical smaller than the Nikkor. If it is really better than the Nikkor.....it should be possible to get the Tamron rather cheap. Your images looks good.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 01-Jan-13 05:40 AM
26735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: Reflex nikkor 500/8 on D5xxx or D3xxx"
In response to Reply # 8

Richmond, US

The Tamron isn't better than the Reflex-N. It's equal at normal distances - very equal. Indistinguishable, in fact, since these don't have metadata tags in EXIF. I only know which one produced the images because of dates that can be correlated with my KEH.com receipts When the Reflex-N and the Tamron are used with a PN-11 extension tube, the Nikkor turns out to be better; or actually, the Tamron isn't very good at minimum focus. But as a regular telephoto as shown above, they're surprisingly good. Far better than the "oh don't bother they are hopeless" Internet reputation that is associated with mirror lenses.

None of the shots above were done with LiveView - mostly because they are mostly from the D2h, which has no LiveView. The baseball shot was on a D3 but not with LiveView either, since I was tracking the action in the viewfinder the traditional way. But on a tripod I would certainly use LV. What you're not seeing is the large number of slightly out of focus images that I don't show... but obviously I get enough good ones to continue using the lens...

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7334 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.