Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7271
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5100 Exposure Compensation Indicator" Previous topic | Next topic
macnca Registered since 24th Dec 2012Wed 26-Dec-12 04:08 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5100 Exposure Compensation Indicator"

US

Just got my D5100 for Christmas. I have been reviewing the tutorial videos on lynda.com (Chapter 3, Session 2) for this camera. I noticed that they show the exposure compensation indicator on the LCD should move right/left when you move the command dial left/right while depressing the exposure compensation button.

When I perform the same steps my exposure compensation indicator flashes and the bars under the line stay the same. I also changed the exposure compensation via the menu route. The value never changes on the indicator.

Any suggestions? I've reviewed the reference manual on exposure compensation.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 26-Dec-12 05:22 AM
26795 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5100 Exposure Compensation Indicator"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Melissa,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Congratulations on your new D5100.
Do you have the camera in P, S, A, or M exposure modes?
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

macnca Registered since 24th Dec 2012Wed 26-Dec-12 02:14 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5100 Exposure Compensation Indicator"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I have it in P mode, which the narrator on the video also had his camera set too.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 26-Dec-12 02:59 PM
3309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5100 Exposure Compensation Indicator"
In response to Reply # 2

Hatboro, Pa, US

The little +/- box at the bottom of the LCD display should change. The meter bar will move as well unless you are trying to change the compensation in poor light. In that case the meter bar will not change and the exposure values above the line will blink and you will get a message at the top saying "Subject is too dark". But the box at the bottom will still change. Is that what you see?

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

macnca Registered since 24th Dec 2012Thu 27-Dec-12 03:23 AM
#4. "RE: D5100 Exposure Compensation Indicator"
In response to Reply # 3

US

That solved the mystery. I moved to an area with adequate light and tried it again and it worked just like the video shows! Thanks for your input.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7271 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.