Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #726
View in linear mode

Subject: "VR on and off question?" Previous topic | Next topic
empipoy Registered since 06th Oct 2009Tue 06-Oct-09 03:25 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"VR on and off question?"
Tue 06-Oct-09 03:27 PM by empipoy

VN

hi i am new to this forum and also new to dslr. i just bought my new d3000 yesterday. i have noticed the differences of the shutter when the VR is on or off. when the VR is off, when i click for a shoot, right after i hear the shutter, the image in the view finder is steady... but when i turn ON the VR, after i hear the shutter, the image in the view finder move a little then have the capture image. is it normal that the image move a little?? coz if not, i will return for exchange of my lens.. sorry i am very new to this. thanks for any replies.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: VR on and off question?
gkaiseril Gold Member
06th Oct 2009
MEMcD Moderator
06th Oct 2009
empipoy
06th Oct 2009
empipoy
07th Oct 2009
empipoy
07th Oct 2009
gkaiseril Gold Member
07th Oct 2009

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 06-Oct-09 03:36 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: VR on and off question?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 06-Oct-09 03:45 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

What you are seeing the VR stabilization activating and engaging. Your technique should be let the VR remain on (except for those situations where it is not needed), half press the shutter release to engage the AE, AF and VR electronics, and after the VR has engaged then fully depress the shutter release.

This technique is covered in the instructions for the VR lenses along with other usage information:

"¦Notes on using vibration reduction mode
• Wait until the image in the viewfinder stops vibrating before fully depressing the shutter release button after you have lightly pressed the shutter release button.
• Due to the characteristics of the vibration reduction mechanism, the image in the viewfinder may become slightly blurred after releasing the shutter. This is not a malfunction.
• Do not turn the camera power OFF or remove the lens from the camera while the
vibration reduction mode is in operation. (Otherwise, the lens may emit a chattering noise if the camera is shaken. This is not a malfunction. Turn the camera power ON again to correct this.)"

George
My Nikonian Galleries

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 06-Oct-09 03:55 PM
26192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: VR on and off question?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Brando,

Welcome to Nikonians!
RELAX!!!! Don't worry the VR mechinism is working normally. As George noted above, when you have VR On press the shutter release button half way and allow eneough time for the VR to settle before releasing the shutter.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

empipoy Registered since 06th Oct 2009Tue 06-Oct-09 04:42 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: VR on and off question?"
In response to Reply # 2

VN

thanks for your replies. im just bothered because the whole image in the viewfinder move right after the shutter everytime the VR is turned ON. but when its turned off, it is steady. so my lens is good and no reason to return it for exchange. i really appreciate your immediate replies. this made me decide to stay in this forum. worth it!

empipoy Registered since 06th Oct 2009Wed 07-Oct-09 03:53 PM
#4. "RE: VR on and off question?"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 07-Oct-09 04:20 PM by empipoy

VN

i really hear a click sound like inside the lens is loose when the VR is ON when doing the half press of the shutter then releasing it. but when its VR OFF its not doing the same thing. is it doing the same as yours guys?

and also i tried my camera on tripod without moving. i compare the shot when the VR is ON and OFF. i focus it correctly. and the i noticed that there is a difference on the centering or alignment of the picture. when VR is on it makes the picture too high. is it normal? coz i got bothered with that "movement" which i can also feel the vibration like its loose.

empipoy Registered since 06th Oct 2009Wed 07-Oct-09 04:24 PM
#5. "RE: VR on and off question?"
In response to Reply # 4

VN

it really makes me anxious if this only happens to my cam.. =(

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 07-Oct-09 04:32 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: VR on and off question?"
In response to Reply # 4

Chicago, US

That is how the VR system works.

The VR system moves a lens within the lens to keep the image centered and this movement is done by a motor with in the lens and the VR lens has limits for its movement.

When mounted on a tripod, you should have the VR "OFF", this is stated in the instructions for the lens.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #726 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.