nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7253
View in linear mode

Subject: "Film SLR Lenses on DSLR" Previous topic | Next topic
grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Thu 20-Dec-12 06:19 PM
325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Film SLR Lenses on DSLR"
Thu 20-Dec-12 06:21 PM by grnzbra

Springfield, US

I have a Nikon FA with a 50mm f1.2 lens. I've been told that it can be used on my D5100. However, when I fire the 5100, the camera send an electrical signal to the lens telling it to stop down to whatever the selected f/stop was selected in the camera. With the FA, the f/stop is set on the lens, and when that camera is fired, a finger inside the lens opening of the camera pushes on a rod protruding from the back of the lens and mechanically causes the lens to stop down to whatever was selected on the lens. How would this work with the 5100? Or wouldn't it?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Film SLR Lenses on DSLR
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
20th Dec 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
21st Dec 2012
meper
29th Dec 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
29th Dec 2012
meper
29th Dec 2012
30th Dec 2012
meper
30th Dec 2012
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
30th Dec 2012
30th Dec 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 20-Dec-12 11:56 PM
27003 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Film SLR Lenses on DSLR"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Lind,

The D5100 light meter will not work with any MF lens without a CPU chip so you must set the camera in Manual exposure mode and Manual ISO. Then set the aperture using the aperture ring on the lens.
You can use a handheld light meter, the Sunny 16 rule, or the trial and error method using the histogram to set the correct exposure.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 21-Dec-12 02:46 PM
3428 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Film SLR Lenses on DSLR"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

I use my D5100 all the time with manual focus lenses. However as Marty pointed out, the camera now has to be used as a fully manual camera only, with no light meter. The lens will still automatically stop down to whatever aperture you set the lens to, just like your FA. There are times I use a handheld lightmeter, but generally over the many years of using a hand held meter with meterless cameras like a Rollei TLR or a Hassy, I became pretty good at guessing the correct exposure. While I have a few bodies that meter with manual focus lenses, the D5100 allows me to use the few non-AI lenses I have without breaking the camera while still shooting very high resolution photos. You will be amazed at how good those older mf lenses perform on the D5100.

Len

meper Registered since 08th Dec 2012Sat 29-Dec-12 10:19 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Film SLR Lenses on DSLR"
In response to Reply # 2

DK

>I use my D5100 all the time with manual focus lenses. However
>as Marty pointed out, the camera now has to be used as a fully
>manual camera only, with no light meter. The lens will still
>automatically stop down to whatever aperture you set the lens
>to, just like your FA. There are times I use a handheld
>lightmeter, but generally over the many years of using a hand
>held meter with meterless cameras like a Rollei TLR or a
>Hassy, I became pretty good at guessing the correct exposure.
>While I have a few bodies that meter with manual focus lenses,
>the D5100 allows me to use the few non-AI lenses I have
>without breaking the camera while still shooting very high
>resolution photos. You will be amazed at how good those older
>mf lenses perform on the D5100.
>
>Len
>
>
How do you use the "non-AI" lenses on the d5100? ....by just removing the "rabbit-ears"?

Meper

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 29-Dec-12 11:41 PM
3428 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Film SLR Lenses on DSLR"
In response to Reply # 3

Hatboro, Pa, US

>>
>How do you use the "non-AI" lenses on the d5100?
>....by just removing the "rabbit-ears"?
>
>Meper
>

You don't have to do anything to the lens at all. The D5xxx, D3xxx, D60 ,and D40 do not have the AI lever found on the more advanced cameras which can break if you attempt to add a non-AI lens. So non-AI lenses can be mounted with no problem. The only thing you need to do is use a handheld exposure meter to set the proper exposure while the camera is in Manual mode. These cameras can't meter with non-CPU lenses. You can still manually focus the lens though. The focusing dot in the viewfinder will still show when you are in focus. You can still focus the lens wide open and it will still stop down automatically to any preset f stop.

Here's a non-AI 55mm f1.2 lens mounted on a D3200. It works just fine.

Len

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

meper Registered since 08th Dec 2012Sat 29-Dec-12 11:55 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Film SLR Lenses on DSLR"
In response to Reply # 4

DK

>>>
>>How do you use the "non-AI" lenses on the d5100?
>
>>....by just removing the "rabbit-ears"?
>>
>>Meper
>>
>
>You don't have to do anything to the lens at all. The D5xxx,
>D3xxx, D60 ,and D40 do not have the AI lever found on the more
>advanced cameras which can break if you attempt to add a
>non-AI lens. So non-AI lenses can be mounted with no problem.
>The only thing you need to do is use a handheld exposure meter
>to set the proper exposure while the camera is in Manual mode.
>These cameras can't meter with non-CPU lenses. You can still
>manually focus the lens though. The focusing dot in the
>viewfinder will still show when you are in focus. You can
>still focus the lens wide open and it will still stop down
>automatically to any preset f stop.
>
>Here's a non-AI 55mm f1.2 lens mounted on a D3200. It works
>just fine.
>
>
>
>Len
>
>

OK!
I see what you mean. It is a big advantage of the "low range" DSLR's. I have a lot of non-AI lenses I have never tried. I have a D2x in the moment and will still keep it when I probably will get a d5200. Maybe prices will raise on non-AI lenses when more and more people finds usage for the old non-AI lenses. They tend to be much cheaper than AI-lenses. So maybe we should not tell anybody

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 30-Dec-12 12:19 AM
#7. "RE: Film SLR Lenses on DSLR"
In response to Reply # 5
Sun 30-Dec-12 12:20 AM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

I won't tell anybody.

I pretty much buy the oldest lenses that can't accept the Nikon AI conversion kits. They have no screws in the mount and are generally made with the focal length shown in cm instead of mm. One of my favorites is the 5.8cm f1.4 S lens (58mm). They are beautiful on the D5100 and D3200. I have one of the first ones made from 1959. I'm still amazed on how good the photos look.

Len

meper Registered since 08th Dec 2012Sun 30-Dec-12 10:39 AM
#8. "RE: Film SLR Lenses on DSLR"
In response to Reply # 7

DK

>I won't tell anybody.
>
>I pretty much buy the oldest lenses that can't accept the
>Nikon AI conversion kits. They have no screws in the mount and
>are generally made with the focal length shown in cm instead
>of mm. One of my favorites is the 5.8cm f1.4 S lens (58mm).
>They are beautiful on the D5100 and D3200. I have one of the
>first ones made from 1959. I'm still amazed on how good the
>photos look.
>
>Len
>
>
The 5.8 f1.4 was in production in a very short time so not many were made. So I guess it will be expensive because it is a collectors item now. I have an old 20/3.5 (72mm filter size) which I have never tried. It will be interesting. It is known for not having much geometric distortion compated to the 20/3.5 (52mm filter size).

Do you know how good NX2 is to correct "errors" (CA, distortion etc.) when it does not know which lens is used?

Also interesting to see that you can control the flash output manually.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 30-Dec-12 12:11 PM
27003 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Film SLR Lenses on DSLR"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Max,

Keep in mind that pre-AI lenses can be converted to AI standard so that they can be used on the higher end bodies.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 30-Dec-12 12:00 AM
#6. "RE: Film SLR Lenses on DSLR"
In response to Reply # 4

Hatboro, Pa, US

Here's a photo I just took with the non-AI 55mm lens shown above and mounted on a D5100. I was also able to use the built in flash in manual mode at 1/16th power. ISO 400 and f5.6. This is a direct down sized photo cropped from a raw file. No sharpening.

Len

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7253 Previous topic | Next topic