Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7222
View in linear mode

Subject: "Visibility of Focus Points on D5100" Previous topic | Next topic
Alfred70 Registered since 12th Dec 2012Wed 12-Dec-12 05:41 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Visibility of Focus Points on D5100"

San Antonio, US

Greeting all,

This is my first post to the forum. I have been lurking here for quite a while, gained a lot of information, and decided it's time to pay my dues.

I have read reviews that say the focus points on the d5100 are difficult to see and set. For example:

http://quillcards.com/blog/index.php/2012/06/03/nikon-d5100-and-nikon-d7000-compared/

I would appreciate comments from D5100 users on this subject. Are the focus points reasonably visible in the sunny outdoors? My D60 has three focus points, rectangular and very easy to see and reposition. Overall, how do you like the focusing of the D5100?

I currently have a D60 and my wife has a D40X. We also have the 18-55, 55-200, and 18-200 AF-S VR lenses. Most of my photography is landscape with some typical family portrait shots. I am looking to upgrade primarily for the extra pixels.

I am comparing the D7000 to the D5100 and I am favoring the D5100, but if focusing the D5100 is a serious issue, perhaps I'll reconsider the D7000 (body at twice the cost of a D5100. Ouch!).

Looking forward to see your comments.

Al

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Visibility of Focus Points on D5100
Leonard62 Gold Member
13th Dec 2012
Digital_Reality
14th Dec 2012
Alfred70
14th Dec 2012
photographworks
17th Dec 2012
Tippi Silver Member
17th Dec 2012

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Thu 13-Dec-12 12:56 PM
3110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Visibility of Focus Points on D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

I agree with just about everything posted in the blog. The lack of a focus wheel lock and the very small focus dots is probably the D5100 and the D3200 biggest short comings. However I don't find it serious enough to not buy the camera. I bought my D5100 in August of 2011 and my D3200 in May this year. I kept my D5100 because the pluses certainly out weighed the small focus points and I wanted to keep the articulating screen. The D3200 has the exact same focus points as the D5100 and I bought it because of the high sensor resolution. The focus points didn't even enter my mind.

But people are different and their eyesight is different. I suggest before you buy either of the cameras you're considering, to walk into your local camera shop and see for yourself if it's acceptable or not.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Digital_Reality Registered since 19th Oct 2012Fri 14-Dec-12 04:27 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Visibility of Focus Points on D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

Bangalore, IN

D7000 is superior camera, no second thought..

I own D5100 and I am completely happy with it(of course budget was concern at time of deciding.. otherwise I could have D7000). I don't shoot MUCH outdoor though - just not to notice focus point visibility issue.

I never find that problem. If you find it difficult to see AF points, then D7000 also will carry same problem, just more AF points density.

Couple of things might help
- in LCD you can see position of focus points (in AF- Single pt mode)
- during focus you can enable confirmation 'bip' sound just to know it focused properly.

Alfred70 Registered since 12th Dec 2012Fri 14-Dec-12 06:19 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Visibility of Focus Points on D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

San Antonio, US

Thank you for your replies. I was not oware (aware?) of the fact that the D7000 also has focus points like the D5100, rather than focus squares (like my D60). I did get a chance to look through a D5100, but not a D7000. The focus points are small and somewhat dim. Focus visibility is better on the D60, but I guess Nikon had to reduce the size of the squares to points in order to accomodate the increase in focus points.

So the visibility of focus points is not an issue when comparing the D5100 to the D7000, because they are reduced in both cameras, compared to the D60.

Add a new twist to the choice between a D5100 and D7000: the D5200 should be shortly available. Perhaps a windfall from the D5200 release will be a reduction in cost of the previous two cameras.

I didn't have any of these decission problems when I had my little Sony point-and-shoot.

Thanks again for the replies.

Al

photographworks Registered since 17th Dec 2012Mon 17-Dec-12 02:21 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Visibility of Focus Points on D5100"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

First of all, thank you for the positive comments about my article on the Quillcards Blog.

I just checked on my D7000 and the appearance of the focus points are not the same as on the D5100.

I shoot with the central focus square locked on the D7000 and the square is large and very obvious when it lights up.

Tippi Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jan 2003Mon 17-Dec-12 10:12 PM
171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Visibility of Focus Points on D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I just got a D5100 and I do have trouble with seeing the focus points. My D5000 did not have this issue. I wanted the D5100 becuase of a couple of things it has different from the d5000. Otherwise I would have just stuck with the 5000.

I was impressed with what I read on the D7000, but it is bigger and the whole reason I have the smaller dslr is for travel and weight/size. I have a D3 for most needs.

Good luck with your choice.

ts

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7222 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.