Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7200
View in linear mode

Subject: "Fun Photo and thoughts of Christmas Time Photography" Previous topic | Next topic
Fortkentdad Registered since 01st Sep 2012Tue 11-Dec-12 02:13 AM
216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Fun Photo and thoughts of Christmas Time Photography"

Fort Kent, CA

Been having some fun with my D5100 and SB700.

Went to a Festival of Trees and played around with various settings. Tried the flash in lots of different positions. In this shot I was trying to get the lights on the tree, but my first efforts gave me a blue, but it looked kinda cool. Then I started to play with the effect. Here is a sample of what I'm taking about. Shot at F 6.3 for 3 second exposture, taken while moving camera in small circular motion.

-------

Tried close ups of ornaments . . .

I was wearing a deep red sweater, when I turn the flash towards me the bounce back was read. This image was brightened considerably in PSE10 but the red tinge still shows, the ornaments were white / silver.

-------------

I'm scanning some of my old photo's and as I go through the boxes and albums I'm amazed by how many Christmas time photo's were taken. I wonder what per cent of photo's are taken during the holiday season? I suppose in the olden days, when we had to take our films in for processing the industry would be doing a booming business in January.

Christmas and the annual family vacation, ... and of course weddings.

These three make up 90% of the photo's in my old shoe boxes.

FKD
Alberta CANADA

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Tue 11-Dec-12 11:11 AM
1698 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Fun Photo and thoughts of Christmas Time Photography"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Really like that long exposure tree.Very nice effect with out being 'messy'
The second, I might like better if the ornament wasn't centered and a little more evenly lit.Maybe if you cropped off some of the right side and lifted the shadows a little.

Your question about Christmas photos would make an interesting topic for the English Cafe forum too!

Sheri Becker

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7200 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.