Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #72
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why so expensive?" Previous topic | Next topic
greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Wed 15-Apr-09 10:12 PM
1301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why so expensive?"

Yorkshire, GB

Here in the UK, the D5000's launch price is about 100GBP higher than the current street price of the D90. Warehouse Express lists the D90 body only at £619, D5000 at £719. OK, there's a memory card & bag with the D5000, but is that and the swivel screen worth it against the cost and the stuff you lose? Even Jessops, known for sticking to RRPs, has the D90 at 70GBP less than the D5000.

It's going to have to come down in price very quickly to sell here.

Chris

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Thu 16-Apr-09 04:02 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Why so expensive?"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

Nikon has stated they intend to place this camera between the D60 & D90 in the lineup. It's likely more expensive right now because stores are charging an early adopter fee.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Thu 16-Apr-09 06:48 PM
1301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why so expensive?"
In response to Reply # 1

Yorkshire, GB

Larry,

Launch price - the only 'official Nikon' price I recall seeing for anything - for the D5000 is 20GBP more than the D90 was. I just looked up the D60 launch price, which was 270GBP less than the D5000. These differences are understandable, to some extent, due to the hammering our exchange rate has taken recently. And yes, as always, most stores are sticking to that price for pre-ordering. But just to get level with the current D90 street price, the D5000 is going to have to lose 100GBP, 14% of its launch price. To get to a point where it looks like good value against the D90, how much more does it need to lose? To get to midway between D60 and D90, it needs to lose a total of 250GBP. That's 35% of its launch price. After 15 months, the D60 is not down that far. The D40, which must now be towards the end of its run, is now down by 40% of launch price. I just think the price here is starting way too high.

Chris

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Thu 16-Apr-09 07:52 PM
9573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Why so expensive?"
In response to Reply # 2

Memphis, US

Here in the US the D5000 launch price is less than the D90 launch price by about $270 USD. The D90 is listed as $999 and the D5000 is listed at $729 according to NikonUSA's website.

It seems in the UK they have a different pricing scheme than in the US but from what I can see the D5000 is right inline with the launch price of the D50/D40x and D60. My D50 when I got it new 3 or 4 years ago can't remember exactly I paid $999 for a two lens kit package.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #72 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.