Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7177
View in linear mode

Subject: "Shifting focues points on D5100?" Previous topic | Next topic
Mr Bill Registered since 04th Dec 2012Fri 07-Dec-12 04:07 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Shifting focues points on D5100?"

Houston, US

Can anyone tell me why, all on its own, the D5100 changes the location of the red dot in the viewfinder and monitor when in manual mode?

Why, even in manual mode, does the camera seem to link aperature and shutter speed. My camera seems to limit the adjustment to one variable based on the setting of the other variable. I don't remember manual film cameras doing this.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Shifting focues points on D5100?
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses
07th Dec 2012
Mr Bill
07th Dec 2012
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
08th Dec 2012
Lolrogge Silver Member
08th Dec 2012
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
08th Dec 2012
Lolrogge Silver Member
08th Dec 2012

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 07-Dec-12 01:47 PM
3314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Shifting focues points on D5100?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

Bill,
It's not just manual mode but any mode. And it doesn't move by itself. It takes just a touch on the focus wheel without you knowing it to move it. This is my one single gripe about the entry level Nikon bodies, no focus lock. Nikon saw fit to add the lock on all the other bodies. Can it be that expensive? Since I always use the center position I've gotten into the habit to always press the OK button when I start shooting. I can change modes to anything I want including manual and the dot stays where I put it as long as I'm careful to not touch the wheel.

Len

Mr Bill Registered since 04th Dec 2012Fri 07-Dec-12 02:41 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Shifting focues points on D5100?"
In response to Reply # 1

Houston, US

I'll try that. Thanks Len.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 08-Dec-12 03:29 AM
26820 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Shifting focues points on D5100?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Bill,

If you look through the viewfinder with your left eye, you could easily inadvertantly bump the MiltiSelector with your nose causing the active AF point to shift.
Some bodies are more prone to this than others.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Sat 08-Dec-12 04:51 AM
303 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Shifting focues points on D5100?"
In response to Reply # 3

Ayden, US

The D5100 is very prone to that prpblem. I am left eye dominant and the multiselector is perfectly placed for my nose to touch it, thus changing the focus point. I did think my face was touching but it is definitely my nose.

Laverne

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 08-Dec-12 08:04 PM
4764 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Shifting focues points on D5100?"
In response to Reply # 4

Seattle, WA, US

This is a common problem with left-eye shooters with many of the DSLR models.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Sat 08-Dec-12 09:07 PM
303 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Shifting focues points on D5100?"
In response to Reply # 5

Ayden, US

One reason why I like my F100. It allows me to lock the focus point.

Laverne

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7177 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.