Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7154
View in linear mode

Subject: "My D3200 takes a long time to save shots to memory. Wha..." Previous topic | Next topic
BalancedFox Registered since 04th Dec 2012Tue 04-Dec-12 06:10 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"My D3200 takes a long time to save shots to memory. What am I doing wrong? "

ZA

I have had my new D3200 for two weeks now, and I am finding that it takes a long time to save. A really long time - up to 15 seconds. I can fire off a few shots in quick succession (I guess it is storing the pics in buffer), but if I pause in shooting for a second or two, and the camera begins to write to memory, then I can do nothing else while this is in progress. I have to wait a long time. My memory card is a 16GB class 10 card. Is it the noise reduction processing that is taking a long time? I find it quite irritating because normally I will take a shot, then adjust my composition and try to take another shot and be unable to do it. Often the action has finished by the time the camera is ready to take my second shot.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: My D3200 takes a long time to save shots to memory....
John Bertotti Gold Member
04th Dec 2012
BalancedFox
04th Dec 2012
malchew
04th Dec 2012
John Bertotti Gold Member
04th Dec 2012
stevenchadg72
23rd Dec 2012
TMHahn
02nd Jan 2013
agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
02nd Jan 2013

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Tue 04-Dec-12 12:17 PM
750 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: My D3200 takes a long time to save shots to memory. What am I doing wrong? "
In response to Reply # 0

Garretson, US

I only have this happen if I fill the buffer, yours sounds like it takes much longer then mine. How fast is your card? Are you sure it is not a reliables knock off card, doubtful it would be if bought at a good store but from some online places anything is possible if they aren't well known vendors. I have noise reduction on mine on as well. How many shots do you fire off in a row. In Raw if you are doing a lot of rapid fire it can fill the buffer quickly.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

BalancedFox Registered since 04th Dec 2012Tue 04-Dec-12 02:44 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: My D3200 takes a long time to save shots to memory. What am I doing wrong? "
In response to Reply # 1

ZA

Thanks for your answer.

My card is a Verbatim 16GB "Premium" Class 10. It was a freebie I got with the camera, so it is possible the camera shop gave me a cheap one.

I have the camera with me at my desk now and I have been experimenting, and I think I have solved the problem. Maybe this will help someone else one day. Here are my notes:
1) When I switch the camera on, the first shot always takes 10+ seconds to be saved.
2) Thereafter I can shoot away and it only takes about 1 second to save each shot. This is great.
3) If I switch the camera off, and then on again. The first shot will take a long time to save.
4) If I take a shot every few seconds thereafter, then it saves quickly and I am able to shoot again.
5) But if I pause for a few seconds (without switching the camera off), and then shoot again, it takes a long time to save. It is as if the camera (or card?) goes into sleep mode whenever the camera is idle or switched off, and takes a long time to ready itself for saving.
6) I went into the camera menu and changed the "Auto Off Timers" setting. The Standby setting was set to default 6 secs. I changed it to 30 mins.
7) Solved! Now the camera saves quickly, even for my first shot after switching on.

I'm happy again!

malchew Registered since 18th Nov 2012Tue 04-Dec-12 03:44 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: My D3200 takes a long time to save shots to memory. What am I doing wrong? "
In response to Reply # 2

UK

Hi I was having the same problem with my D5000 which I got recently. 4 frames then wait for the buffer to catch up.
If you have auto distotion control turn it off and it will happily shoot 20+ frames before it slows for the buffer to catch up.

Hope this helps

Mal

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Tue 04-Dec-12 03:52 PM
750 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: My D3200 takes a long time to save shots to memory. What am I doing wrong? "
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 04-Dec-12 03:56 PM by John Bertotti

Garretson, US

Good find, I didn't think of that. I changed my timers also as soon as I got the camera. I just didn't like it going to sleep so soon, never tried to shoot like that. As for cards yours is probably fine, mine are all class ten ranging from 30-95 mbs speeds. Never noticed a lot of difference in what I do. Later Bertotti

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

stevenchadg72 Registered since 22nd Dec 2012Sun 23-Dec-12 12:15 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: My D3200 takes a long time to save shots to memory. What am I doing wrong? "
In response to Reply # 4

US

invest in top of the line cards they are worth the money try these cards i have no isssue my performs top notch. sandisk extream pro 16gb card and the lexar 600x cards i use both and i have no lag in anything i do

TMHahn Registered since 02nd Jan 2013Wed 02-Jan-13 07:58 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: My D3200 takes a long time to save shots to memory. What am I doing wrong? "
In response to Reply # 5

San Diego, US

When I bought my SanDisk Extreme UHS-1 SD card from a local store, it didn't say "Class 10" on it, so I was concerned. I also wasn't sure if it would work in my D5100. Rest assured, after looking online, it is a Class 10 (to the best of my knowledge/research) and does work in the D5100. I just wanted to post that in case anyone else was considering using this card in their camera. It's fast in the camera and in the computer.

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Wed 02-Jan-13 10:17 PM
4177 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: My D3200 takes a long time to save shots to memory. What am I doing wrong? "
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

>My card is a Verbatim 16GB "Premium" Class 10.
>It was a freebie I got with the camera,
>so it is possible the camera shop gave
>me a cheap one.

You said it right. The Verbatim Premium Class 10 SD card writes at an average of 10MB/sec - the absolute minimum spec for a Class 10 SD card. For the kind of fast, fast write speeds we all want and expect when shooting, you need to buy a couple of 45MB/sec cards such as the SanDisk Extreme Pro. Transcend (the Ultimate UHS-I model, 85MB/sec) and Lexar (Professional SDHC UHS-I model, 600x or 90MB/sec) also make reliable, weather sealed SD cards in a variety of sizes (8, 16, 32, 64GB and larger - up to 256GB). The faster the card, the more they cost. Basically, anything 45MB/sec or faster will not hold you up at all.

The class 10 designation sounds like it should be fast out of the box, but the cheap cards often given away by merchants are usually the slowest made. The D3200 and all its siblings and bigger brothers write enormous amounts of data every time the shutter is pressed.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7154 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.