Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #712
View in linear mode

Subject: "Raw into JPEG (No TOUCH-UP)" Previous topic | Next topic
LightstarXIII Registered since 01st Oct 2009Sat 03-Oct-09 07:06 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Raw into JPEG (No TOUCH-UP)"

US

Is there any differences in image quailty if I shot pictures in the RAW format, and WITHOUT touching up the photo, convert straight to JPEG?

Does it matter, or will I get the same results if I just shoot plain JPEGS?

Nikon D3000 User

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 03-Oct-09 08:16 PM
25886 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Raw into JPEG (No TOUCH-UP)"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Krayg,

It depends on what software that you are using and the settings that you are using in the software.
If you use Nikon NX2 you can convert the images to jpegs and the software will include all of the camera settings in the conversion.
Depending on the settings that you use when saving the image as a jpeg the resulting image can be exactly the same, smaller or larger than the same image processed in the camera.
Using third party software, the in camera settings are not read by the software and image produced will not be adjusted based on the in camera settings so the resulting jpeg will be different from one processed in the camera.
The advantage of shooting Raw is: Raw images provide the most latitude for adjustment without degrading the original image file. Every time you adjust a jpeg file and resave it you loose information due to the compression.
If want to adjust the WB in a jpeg image you degrade te IQ.
If you adjust the WB in a Raw file you lose nothing.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

LightstarXIII Registered since 01st Oct 2009Sun 04-Oct-09 08:21 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Raw into JPEG (No TOUCH-UP)"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for the info Marty.
I decided only to shoot RAW when taking IMPORTANT pictures, and JPEGS for my standard stuff!

LightstarXIII

Asuna Registered since 29th Sep 2009Sun 04-Oct-09 09:47 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Raw into JPEG (No TOUCH-UP)"
In response to Reply # 2

JP

I usually have the option for RAW+JPG this way you have both just in case.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #712 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.