nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7119
View in linear mode

Subject: "What to expect in repair cost? D5100" Previous topic | Next topic
BillS52 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2011Wed 28-Nov-12 02:42 PM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What to expect in repair cost? D5100"

US

My D5100 needs repair. I'm shipping it in today.

I'm wondering what I might expect in the way of repair cost?
Weighing my options.......

Moisture got in the bottom.. My camera was on a table when a coffee was knocked over and the bottom of the camera got wet Now every other shot has a black band at the.
It's as if the data doesn't completely save, and the top 20% of the photo is black.

This happens almost every other shot.

I tried different memory and the same thing happens.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 29-Nov-12 12:46 AM
27027 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What to expect in repair cost? D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Bill,

Sorry to hear of your problem.

It is impossible to guess at the cost to repair the camera without knowing what the problem is. Given that it has water damage, it depends on what got shorted out.
I don't want to be a Pessimist but you might want to be prepared for unpleasant news.
Unfortunately cameras with water damage are often not economical to repair since it would cost as much or more to repair the camera than to replace it.
Hopefully the damage will be minor and the repair cheap.
Let us know what the Repair Shop Estimate is.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

BillS52 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2011Wed 05-Dec-12 12:22 PM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What to expect in repair cost? D5100"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Nikon is calling the problem Black Shutter Line.

I wasn't told why I'm getting a black shutter line at the top of my photos.

Repair is $160 including return freight.

I elected to repair.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 06-Dec-12 01:06 AM
27027 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What to expect in repair cost? D5100"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Bill,

Glad to hear the damage was relatively minor.
That price seems very reasonable given the circumstances.
Thanks for the follow up.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

BillS52 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2011Fri 07-Dec-12 08:23 AM
#4. "RE: What to expect in repair cost? D5100"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I'm looking at a Nikon soft case.

Anybody know if the Nikon soft case would have helped in this situation?
( I don't have a store where I can walk in and look at one)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7119 Previous topic | Next topic