Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7083
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5000 Monochrome mode" Previous topic | Next topic
malchew Registered since 18th Nov 2012Mon 19-Nov-12 01:25 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5000 Monochrome mode"

GB

Hi
Recently aquired a D5000 + two VR lenses - a deal too good to pass up.
Am working my way through the menus etc.
Very pleased with the colour rendition, ease of use and all that stuff but not sure about shooting in Monochrome. The blacks appear a touch grey rather than black. I like punchy monochrome images and these appear a bit washed out.
Is this something I need to live with or am I doing something wrong. I have a D50 which does not allow to shoot monochrome directly so was really pleased to see the D5000 has it.
I was shooting with a friend of mine recently who has a D3100 and we were comparing and the mono images from the D3100 are really crisp blacks.

Help!!!

Please tell me I can do something about this as this is the only aspect I am not happy with.

Mal

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 19-Nov-12 02:55 PM
4176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5000 Monochrome mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Are you shooting NEF or JPG? If NEF, what software are you using to post process the files? Can you post some examples?

My first thought for jpg would be to increase the contrast in you picture control settings.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

malchew Registered since 18th Nov 2012Mon 19-Nov-12 03:35 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5000 Monochrome mode"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Hi Joseph

Thanks for your reply. To be honest I have nothing to post at present as I have literally only had the camera for a couple of days.
I am shooting jpeg images. Until I get fully aquainted with settings etc where do I find picture control settings.
Do you have D5000 and if so do you have the same issue as me?

Cheers

Mal

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 20-Nov-12 02:11 AM
4176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5000 Monochrome mode"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 20-Nov-12 02:15 AM by JosephK

Seattle, WA, US

You are looking for pages 106-109 in the manual. Downloading the PDF version of the manual makes searching through it much easier.
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16431
http://www.nikonsupport.eu/europe/Manuals/hjker87rtj/D5000_en_04.pdf

I don't have a D5000, but my D700 has similar menu options to it. Adjusting the contrast, I can see the difference in the B&W images created by the camera.

The camera does a very simple conversion to b&w. You can get the same or better results doing the conversion on your computer where you have more control over the process (depending on the software used).

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Digital_Reality Registered since 19th Oct 2012Tue 11-Dec-12 05:19 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5000 Monochrome mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Bangalore, IN

What I might suggest is, shoot in normal mode (no-Monochrome) and then use some PP software like LR or PS and play with your liking of B&W setting there. By doing this you have multiple option to use, tons of tones to adjust and settle with something you like! Also your colored image is a plus, in case you don't like B&W.

Just shoot in NEF/RAW in order to have more flexibility of editing.

Hope I am not late answering..

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7083 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.