Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7055
View in linear mode

Subject: "Best compact Nikon body in last 10 years?" Previous topic | Next topic
Pacman32 Registered since 13th Nov 2012Tue 13-Nov-12 04:21 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Best compact Nikon body in last 10 years?"

US

So I have been shooting with a D40x and D80 since 2007. Some burglars recently gave me the opportunity to re-think my entire camera/lens collection, as I will be starting from scratch. I will likely buy used equipment, so the whole model line is available to me.

Anyway, I loved the D40x. It seemed to have a good chip in it (I thought it did a slightly better job with colors than did my d80), and I loved its compact size. I'm now in the market for a replacement body. It would help me if you all could tell me which of the compact bodies has the best chip in it. Superior high-ISO low light performance would be a big plus.

If you all don't think that there is a huge difference among these bodies, that is useful to know too. I could always just go for the best deal or pick up a D50, which will work with all the good ole AF lenses.

I almost posted in the D50/D40/D60 forum -- I want to consider both model lines. Whether or not the camera can do video is not really a big priority for me -- all else being equal, it would be nice.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Best compact Nikon body in last 10 years?
MEMcD Moderator
13th Nov 2012
Pacman32
13th Nov 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
13th Nov 2012
MEMcD Moderator
13th Nov 2012
Pacman32
13th Nov 2012
Pacman32
13th Nov 2012
John Bertotti Gold Member
14th Nov 2012
KnightPhoto Gold Member
15th Nov 2012
MotoMannequin Moderator
14th Nov 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
15th Nov 2012
Pacman32
15th Nov 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
15th Nov 2012
MEMcD Moderator
16th Nov 2012
17th Nov 2012
MEMcD Moderator
18th Nov 2012
18th Nov 2012
MEMcD Moderator
18th Nov 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 13-Nov-12 05:15 AM
26189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Best compact Nikon body in last 10 years?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Adam,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Sorry to hear about the theft of your equipment.
For outright sensor performance it is tough to beat the D3200.
The D3100 would be right behind the D3200.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Pacman32 Registered since 13th Nov 2012Tue 13-Nov-12 06:34 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Best compact Nikon body in last 10 years?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks. I should have entitled this post "Compare the compact bodies from the last ten years"

how does the 3200 do in terms of high ISO performance? The last I heard when I was in the know about the latest and greatest from Nikon was that the D90 was one of the best in terms of high ISO/low light. Does the 3200 stack up to the D90?

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Tue 13-Nov-12 02:12 PM
3138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Best compact Nikon body in last 10 years?"
In response to Reply # 2

Hatboro, Pa, US

The D90 and the D3200 have nearly identical High ISO performance with the D3200 a more extended range. This is quite a feat for the D3200 since it's sensor pixel denity is so much greater than the D90. The D40X performance is much worse than either of them.

You can compare the performance of any of the Nikon cameras at

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 13-Nov-12 04:40 PM
26189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Best compact Nikon body in last 10 years?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Adam,

The D3200 has a little better high ISO performance than D90, more Dynamic Range and significantly more Color Depth as well. It also has twice the resolution of the D90.
The D3200 doesn't have a sub-command dial, penta-prism viewfinder, or dedicated buttons to quickly change settings without going into the camera menu that the D90 has. So there are trade offs.

Best Regards,
Marty

Pacman32 Registered since 13th Nov 2012Tue 13-Nov-12 05:54 PM
#5. "RE: Best compact Nikon body in last 10 years?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Yes, I figured that I would have to make those concessions for the compact body. If only Nikon could only make a camera that is big and easy to use when you are holding it in your hand but small and compact when you are carrying it in your bag.

Pacman32 Registered since 13th Nov 2012Tue 13-Nov-12 06:23 PM
#6. "RE: Best compact Nikon body in last 10 years?"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue 13-Nov-12 06:45 PM by Pacman32

US

To add a little info ... at this point, I can tell that it is going to be a cost-benefit analysis for me. I can pick up the older camera bodies for next to nothing, and I can pick up a D3100 for substantially less than the D3200, so I'd appreciate any input as to what the real, everyday difference is among the bodies. For example, the 24 megapixels of the D3200 seems like overkill to me, at least for pics (maybe it's needed for the 1080p?) -- if that's right, it's not something that I am goingo to want to pay for that.

But sounds like the D3200 brings more realistic benefits to the table such as better higher ISO performance and deeper colors ... so at this point I am leaning towards the newer bodies, but maybe not the latest and greatest D3200. Maybe a 3100 or another newer body if it gives me most of what the D3200 has. The D90 (not a compact body, I know)and D5100 are part of that mix as well. From what I can see, the D5100 out-performs the D3200.

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Wed 14-Nov-12 03:38 AM
738 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Best compact Nikon body in last 10 years?"
In response to Reply # 6
Wed 14-Nov-12 11:46 AM by John Bertotti

Garretson, US

I love my d3200 and for me I wouldn't consider a 5100 instead. I would like a few more controls but the color depth and dynamic range of the D 3200 work very well for me. Had the D5200 been out I would have probably considered it as well. I love the larger mp as I can do a lot of tweaking and have gotten multiethnic shots out of o e pic just by cropping and still had pics I liked!

Edit to add; if I was in your shoes and had the resources I'm not sure I wouldn't go for a used D700. I always wanted that camera, great pictures, now with the 800&600 out I imagine the used prices are coming down but small it isn't, the D3200 is a great compact size.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 15-Nov-12 02:13 AM
4298 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Best compact Nikon body in last 10 years?"
In response to Reply # 6

Alberta, CA

For info. - the extra resolution is not for video. 1080P is merely 2 megapixels per frame. So DSLRs have to severely downsize (line skip) resolution as they form each 2mp frame.

I am advising a lady from work and likewise D3200, D5100 are in the mix and am not sure how to differentiate for her purposes. Aside from sensor differences and swivel LCD, did you guys have any thoughts between those two bodies?

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Wed 14-Nov-12 06:17 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: Best compact Nikon body in last 10 years?"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

I would have voted D7000 as the best, but if you preferred the size of your D40x to your D80, then it seems to me it's an easy call for the D3200.

The D3100 might save you a few bucks and if you're only web posting then its (14MP?) is plenty. If you have any aspiration to do prints, however, I'd go for the D3200. The cost of storage space and processing power is so minuscule, I consider it to be a non-issue and certainly not worth all the hand-wringing it generates.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 15-Nov-12 03:29 AM
3170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Best compact Nikon body in last 10 years?"
In response to Reply # 8

Monterey Bay, US

I say get "Hands On"
That is the most important thing about a camera for me.
Neither the D3100 nor the D600 fits my hands.
The D800 fits nearly perfect and that makes up for the weight difference.
The D5100 is very comfortable so I expect the D5200 to be also.
But I would try before I came home with any camera body.

Pacman32 Registered since 13th Nov 2012Thu 15-Nov-12 09:50 PM
#11. "RE: Best compact Nikon body in last 10 years?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Thanks to everyone for the advice... I was just about to get a refurbished D5100 for a great price but I found a D3200 on craigslist for $30 more so I gave in to the pressure and got the D3200. I hope the colors and dynamic range will blow me away.

Now I need to decide on what lenses to pick up. I wish the old AF lenses were an option -- I love some of those old lenses (such as my now long-gone 80-200 f/2.8 AF).

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 15-Nov-12 11:16 PM
3170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Best compact Nikon body in last 10 years?"
In response to Reply # 11

Monterey Bay, US

The kit AF-S 18-55 lens is actually quite good and "cheap".
Probably lots of different kit lens in the buy/sell forum.

Many times an early adopter has to get the combo because body's only are not available yet.
They many already have a copy or a Pro equivalent to use instead.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 16-Nov-12 08:52 PM
#13. "RE: Best compact Nikon body in last 10 years?"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Hi Adam,

Congratulations on your new D3200.
As stated above, even the kit 18-55mm VR is optically excellent.
It is also very small and light.
The Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED IF AF-S VR (discontinued) is optically better than any version of the AF 80-200mm f/2.8D ED though it defeats the purpose of having a small light body. The Latest Sigma and Tamron lenses 70-200mm f/2.8 have built in AM motors so they will work on the D3200. Like the Nikkor they are both large and heavy.

Best Regards,
Marty

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sat 17-Nov-12 12:46 AM
738 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Best compact Nikon body in last 10 years?"
In response to Reply # 13

Garretson, US

I love my D3200 but still wish it had a few more functions and controls. Goodness is it isn't very hard to adjust things off the display just a click or two on. The 18-35 is the lens Inuse the most next to the 35 prime. I love the look of both heck even the 55-200 looks great to me! Although someone once said fast glass is addictive. I agree, a 70-200. 2.8 is calling to me daily. I don know if it is considered fast but it is substantially fast then what I have! You'll love the D3200! Unless you have giant mitts, then it might be a love hate relationship because it is a small bodies camera, and very light.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 18-Nov-12 03:21 PM
#15. "RE: Best compact Nikon body in last 10 years?"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Hi John,

>I agree, a 70-200. 2.8 is calling to me daily.
>I don know if it is considered fast but
>it is substantially fast then what I have!

The 70-200mm f/2.8 and all constant f/2.8 aperture zooms are considered Fast.

Best Regards,
Marty

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sun 18-Nov-12 04:49 PM
#16. "RE: Best compact Nikon body in last 10 years?"
In response to Reply # 15

Garretson, US

When you say constant does that mean I can't go to f/8 or higher? At first I thought it might be a bit redundant but with all the gym shots of kids and the goal of gaini g an fx body I can justify it in my head! Lol thanks Bertotti

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 18-Nov-12 07:08 PM
#17. "RE: Best compact Nikon body in last 10 years?"
In response to Reply # 16

US

Hi John,

No!
Constant f/2.8 aperture lenses maintain a maximum aperture of f/2.8 throughout the entire zoom range of the lens.
With Variable aperture lenses like the 70-300mm f.4.5-5.6G the maximum aperture varies from f/4.5 at the wide end to f/5.6 at the long end.
This refers to the maximum (Largest Opening) aperture only. You can always stop the aperture down (close) on either type lens.

Fast lenses allow you to use a faster shutter speed in low light situations providing the ability of freezing the subjects motion.
Shooting wide open also provides a narrow DOF resulting in subject isolation.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7055 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.