Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7047
View in linear mode

Subject: "GB Memory Card Limit 5100" Previous topic | Next topic
grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Mon 12-Nov-12 12:59 PM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"GB Memory Card Limit 5100"

Springfield, US

I have a D5100 and just picked up a 32GB prospec SDHC memory card. I formated it and fird a couple of shots and got a message saying the either the card was defective or that card couldn't be used in the camera. I tried formatting it again and got 6 or 7 shots before I got the same message. I didn't see any spec in the owner's manual indicating a limit for the size of memory card that could be used. Is there a limit for the size of memory card that can be used in the 5100?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: GB Memory Card Limit 5100
MEMcD Moderator
12th Nov 2012
grnzbra Silver Member
12th Nov 2012
DavidN4 Silver Member
12th Nov 2012
MEMcD Moderator
12th Nov 2012
Daveecopping Silver Member
13th Nov 2012
John Bertotti Gold Member
13th Nov 2012
grnzbra Silver Member
13th Nov 2012
dGottfried
14th Nov 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 12-Nov-12 03:10 PM
26463 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: GB Memory Card Limit 5100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi C.,

There are 4 32GB cards and 2 64GB Cards listed as Approved on page 207 of the D5100 Users Manual. Therefore the capacity of the card is not the problem.
Did you format the card in the camera?
If so, I would suspect the card is defective or corrupted.
Is it a ProSpec card purchased at Calumet?
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Mon 12-Nov-12 08:07 PM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: GB Memory Card Limit 5100"
In response to Reply # 1

Springfield, US

Yes, it is a ProSpec that I got from Calumet. Formatted it in the camera. The list of approved cards on p207 does not list ProSpec cards (although there is a refernce to Professional brand - any relation between Professional and ProSpec?)

DavidN4 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011Mon 12-Nov-12 08:46 PM
268 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: GB Memory Card Limit 5100"
In response to Reply # 2

Johns Creek, US

I've used 32GB cards not on the list, but that does not mean that all will work fine. PNY 32GB Class 10 works fine in mine, but I usually still stick to SanDisk cards.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 12-Nov-12 10:15 PM
26463 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: GB Memory Card Limit 5100"
In response to Reply # 2

US

The list of approved cards on p207 does not list
>ProSpec cards (although there is a refernce to Professional
>brand - any relation between Professional and ProSpec?)

No!
The Manual is referring to Lexar Professional SDHC cards.
The ProSpec cards have a lifetime warranty so you should have no problem exchanging it for another one.
I would recommend trying the new one out in the store to make sure it works correctly just in case.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Daveecopping Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2011Tue 13-Nov-12 07:00 AM
173 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: GB Memory Card Limit 5100"
In response to Reply # 4

Polegate, GB

I recently put a Transcend 64GB SDXC card in my D5100. It's not on the approved list and not that fast. A: I don't need speed and B: It was going dead cheap at £40.I have experienced no problems with this card.

Dave

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Tue 13-Nov-12 11:36 AM
740 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: GB Memory Card Limit 5100"
In response to Reply # 0

Garretson, US

I just had a new sandisk give me that error, had to format it twice. I don't know but it makes me a bit leary to use it.

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Tue 13-Nov-12 11:56 AM
#7. "RE: GB Memory Card Limit 5100"
In response to Reply # 6

Springfield, US

Last night I formatted the card again and ran it 'til it failed. the first time it failed after the second shot. The second time it failed after six shots. After formatting it the third time, I had to run it out to almost 700 shots before it failed.

I vaguely remember that with a computer hard disk, any bad sectors are marked so that the computer doesn't try to write to them. Could the same thing be happening here?

As far a speed is concerned, it comes in handy if one is trying to make a series of continuous shots. I was trying to get birds flying between a bush and a bird feeder - a distance of about 3 feet. I set the camera on a tripod, aimed the camera between the bush and the feeder and set the focus to manual. Then, as soon as I saw movement, I woulld fire a 3 to 5 shot burst. Got some great pix, but missed others while the camera was writing to the card. That's why I wanted the faster card.

dGottfried Registered since 06th Nov 2012Wed 14-Nov-12 02:07 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: GB Memory Card Limit 5100"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

I use Lexar 600x 32GB cards. I had to format the first one twice, but it's worked fine since. Other card never had a problem with. I think like someone mentioned above, possible card corruption.

Updated list of approved cards can be viewed here:
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17353/~/approved-sd-cards-for-d5100

Cheers
DG

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #7047 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.