Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #700
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5000 and SB-24 internal flash still tries to open" Previous topic | Next topic
deathwaits Registered since 02nd Oct 2009Fri 02-Oct-09 06:07 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5000 and SB-24 internal flash still tries to open"

US

Hello I am new so please forgive me. I have read the other posts about using an older flash like mine with the D5000. It says it will work as long as the flash is not in TTL mode.

I have the camera set to full auto mode and the flash is also set to auto. When I take a photo the internal flash still tries to deploy. The internal flash does not flash, the SB-24 does go off but the photos are all really washed out like there is way too much flash.

It is like the camera knows the flash is there enough to tell it to flash, but it is not controlling it properly. Is it just time to buy a new flash or do you have any suggestions?

Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5000 and SB-24 internal flash still tries to open
greenwing Gold Member
02nd Oct 2009
MEMcD Moderator
03rd Oct 2009
rovinmoses Silver Member
18th Jan 2010
MEMcD Moderator
18th Jan 2010
blw Moderator
19th Jan 2010
MEMcD Moderator
19th Jan 2010
blw Moderator
19th Jan 2010

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Fri 02-Oct-09 11:58 PM
1302 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5000 and SB-24 internal flash still tries to open"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

Welcome to Nikonians, Andrew!

I imagine that the camera's scene & Auto modes will only work with a CLS (creative lighting system) iTTL flash like the internal one, or the SB-400, 600, 800 or 900.

To use an external flash in its auto mode, you'll need to have your camera in A (aperture priority) or M (Manual) mode. Then you'll know what aperture is in use, and will be able to set that aperture on the flash.

Some speedlights have an AA mode, where the camera communicates the aperture to the flashgun. I don't know if the SB-24 is one of those.

Hope this helps,
Chris

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 03-Oct-09 03:46 AM
26533 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5000 and SB-24 internal flash still tries to open"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to Nikonians!
The SB-24 was designed to be used with Nikon film bodies in TTL mode.
Nikon DSLR's require a Speedlight that is i-TTL compatible. Film TTL and Digital TTL (i-TTL actually) are two completely different systems that are not compatible with each other.
The SB-24 can be used with your D5000 with the Speedlight set in A (non TTL Auto Flash) mode the (A) left most position on the switch at the upper right corner on the back of the SB-24. It can also be used in Manual Flash mode (M) one click to the right of (A). The D5000 must be set in Manual (M) exposure mode and the Aperture set to corrispond to the f/stop indicated on the SB-24's LCD display based on the flash to subject distance and the ISO.
If you use Auto exposure mode or any exposure mode other than Manual (M) on the D5000 with the SB-24 you will have exposure problems.
To take advantage of TTL (i-TTL) flash control with the camera in any exposure mode you will have to use the built in Speedlight or an SB-400, SB-600, SB-800, or SB-900 in the camera's hotshoe.
I would recommend getting an SB-600 or higher as the SB-400 is only slightly more powerful than the built in Speedlight and can not be used as a remote.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

rovinmoses Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2010Mon 18-Jan-10 07:43 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5000 and SB-24 internal flash still tries to open"
In response to Reply # 2

Gresham, US

Rats! I have an SB-24 that I used for years with my 8008. Thinking about upgrading to DSLR and assume I would have the same issues with a D90. At least my af lenses would work with the D90.

--RovinMoses

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 18-Jan-10 11:54 PM
26533 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5000 and SB-24 internal flash still tries to open"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Jim,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Yes you will have the same problem on the D90 or any other Nikon DSLR in the Vari-Program (pictogram) modes, Auto mode, or P,A,S modes. These modes rely on i-TTL flash control.

You can use the SB-24 on the D5000, D90 or any other Nikon DSLR with the camera set in Manual exposure mode and the SB-24 in Auto (non-TTL Auto) flash mode or Manual flash mode. The calculator built into the Speedlight will show you the correct Aperture to set based on the flash to subject distance.

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 19-Jan-10 04:33 AM
26801 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: D5000 and SB-24 internal flash still tries to open"
In response to Reply # 4

Richmond, US

Marty, are you sure about that? I think I got correct exposures using A mode on my D2x and SB-20 (A mode on both) - just as long as I used the right ISO and aperture. I would think that any of A/S/M/P modes would work fine with A or M mode on the flash.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 19-Jan-10 05:26 AM
#7. "RE: D5000 and SB-24 internal flash still tries to open"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi Brian,

I have always counted on what I leaned using Manual flash with a Honeywell Strobonar and then Vivitar 283's with my F2 series bodies way back when.
Shooting in Manual exposure mode with the flash in Auto mode the results should be much more predictable than shooting in Aperture priority mode. In Manual exposure mode you are using the flash to provide the required power for a correct exposure. In Aperture priority mode the camera's meter is basing the exposure on the ambient light without regard for the flash and the flash is providing additional light based on the light reflected off of the subject. Two seporate systems that are not working together but each on its own. Therefore the possibility of overexposure is more acute.
This can be countered by adding some exposure compensation in the camera.

Without knowing the experience level of the Poster I think it is better to provide the "old school" answer than have the user encounter problems down the road based on settings that may not work in all conditions and not understand what the problem is.

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 19-Jan-10 04:22 AM
26801 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: D5000 and SB-24 internal flash still tries to open"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

The problem with the built-in strobe is not the flash, but how you're setting the camera. If you're using full auto, that's what happens. If you use other modes (I'm sure of S, A and M - probably P too) the internal flash will not deploy unless you pop it up. The SB-24 will fire correctly.

The problem with the SB-24 is that you have to set it properly. I don't think it gets aperture or ISO information from the camera, so you have to set those on the flash. Once you do that, the exposure should be pretty close as long as you're not using an extreme focal length. On a DX body, anything in the range from about 20-70mm should be fine, because that is fairly similar to the field of view of the flash's light sensor.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #700 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.