Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6948
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5200 Question" Previous topic | Next topic
BillS52 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2011Wed 31-Oct-12 12:56 PM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5200 Question"

US

What will all those extra pixels give us?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5200 Question
blw Moderator
31st Oct 2012
MEMcD Moderator
31st Oct 2012
BillS52 Silver Member
01st Nov 2012
John Bertotti Gold Member
01st Nov 2012
pjonesCET Gold Member
01st Nov 2012
MEMcD Moderator
01st Nov 2012
pjonesCET Gold Member
07th Nov 2012
jules
07th Nov 2012
MEMcD Moderator
08th Nov 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
08th Nov 2012
MotoMannequin Moderator
14th Nov 2012
KnightPhoto Gold Member
07th Nov 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
08th Nov 2012
pjonesCET Gold Member
09th Nov 2012
Daveecopping Silver Member
10th Nov 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
10th Nov 2012
nrothschild Silver Member
10th Nov 2012
KnightPhoto Gold Member
10th Nov 2012
meat
10th Nov 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
10th Nov 2012
10th Nov 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
11th Nov 2012
10th Nov 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
15th Nov 2012
KnightPhoto Gold Member
15th Nov 2012
jules
06th Nov 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
06th Nov 2012
06th Nov 2012
jules
06th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: D800E...
jules
06th Nov 2012
pjonesCET Gold Member
07th Nov 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
08th Nov 2012
KnightPhoto Gold Member
07th Nov 2012
jules
07th Nov 2012
KnightPhoto Gold Member
07th Nov 2012
jules
07th Nov 2012
KnightPhoto Gold Member
07th Nov 2012
07th Nov 2012
                              Reply message There you go Steve...
jules
07th Nov 2012
                                   Reply message RE: There you go Steve...
KnightPhoto Gold Member
07th Nov 2012
                                        Reply message RE: What is better about the D5200
RRRoger Silver Member
07th Nov 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
07th Nov 2012
jules
07th Nov 2012

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 31-Oct-12 08:03 PM
26791 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Same thing that they give on the D3200: the ability to make much bigger prints; the ability to crop more aggressively and maintain net image quality; much larger files that consume memory, storage and processor at a faster rate.

They're probably better pixels too, but probably not radically so. It's probably a very near sibling of the D3200 sensor, so the differences are likely not in the sensor but in the rest of the package.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 31-Oct-12 10:19 PM
26463 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Bill,

Since the D5200 has not been introduced yet, it is hard to say.
Assuming it uses the same sensor as the D3200 it then depends on the body you are comparing it to.
The additional resolution compared to the D5100 will provide the ability to print larger or crop more aggressively without losing IQ.
Like every new generation body, it should also have more Dynamic Range and better high ISO performance compared to the previous generation of bodies.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

BillS52 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2011Thu 01-Nov-12 02:04 AM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Higher IQ at higher ISO and better dynamic range......and keep my DX lenses.....

I can go for that...!!!

I thought I read a press release on the D5200.
Where did I see that. ..........

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Thu 01-Nov-12 10:59 AM
740 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 3

Garretson, US

I see the rumors that Nikon may be doing an announcement on the 6th. For me I won't change from my D3200 till I learn more and get more consistent results. I won't go for a body that doesn't have the extra controls I want and a built in focus motor.

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Thu 01-Nov-12 02:37 PM
586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 4

Martinsville, US

Well if you want a Focus motor built into the Camera I except you'll have to wait for the 7200 -7500. whenever that should appear.

They may even not put a focus motor in body anymore. Its probably cheaper to put in the lens. Makes the body Cheaper to manufacture and the lens more expensive.

That's the same reasoning behind Printers. They make the printer as cheap as possible but the ink cartridges anor toner modules cost an arm and a leg so they can make tons of money on the consumables. Camera companies probably using the same sales models. Make the bodies as cheap as possible and burn you for the accessories.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 01-Nov-12 03:21 PM
26463 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Phillip,

Since Nikon is currently producing lenses without built-in AF motors (eg. 105mm f/2D DC, 135mm f/2D DC, 180mm f/2.8D, 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D, etc....) I think that AF motors will continue to be included in the Prosumer and Pro bodies for at least the next few generations of bodies. I would suspect that when the time comes, the Prosumer bodies will lose the built in AF motor a few generations before the Pro bodies.
Remember that Nikon has been very good about maintaining backward compatibility.

Best Regards,
Marty

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Wed 07-Nov-12 08:17 PM
586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#23. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 6

Martinsville, US

Can some one tell me the advantage if any for using a Camera that the focusing motor is in the Camera rather than the Lens itself. Other it makes the camera heaver and more xpensive and the lens lighter and less expensive?

and if a Camera such as a 7000 can use both how does it know what motor to use when?

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

jules Basic MemberWed 07-Nov-12 08:35 PM
967 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 23

GB

>Can some one tell me the advantage if any for using a Camera
>that the focusing motor is in the Camera rather than the Lens
>itself. Other it makes the camera heaver and more xpensive and
>the lens lighter and less expensive?
>
>and if a Camera such as a 7000 can use both how does it know
>what motor to use when?

There is no advantage really but there are a wealth of older Screwdriven Nikkors out there, literally millions of them! There are some real optical Gems too! Some can be picked up for a song and all will function perfectly with a Camera with a Motor in the body but you will lose AF function on one without..

The contacts on the lens throat connect with the corresponding one on the lens mount and they communicate, simples...
Basically just enough info to ID the lens and it's parameters to give the Camera body enough info to know what to do. Or enough rope to hang itself if you don't clean the contacts on a regular basis

Cheers jules...
tri-elmar-fudd
www.exaggeratedperspectives.co.uk

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 08-Nov-12 03:17 AM
#27. "RE: D5200 Question"

US

Hi Phillip,

When Nikon introduced AF bodies (after the F3AF) the AF screwdrive mechanism was driven by an AF motor built into the camera body. In other words, it is a legacy system. The advantage of having an AF motor built into the camera body is it makes the camera body backwards compatible with every Nikon F mount AF lens ever made including third party offerings with the exception of two (the 80mm f/2.8 and the 200mm f/3.5 made for the F3AF back in 1983).
As I wrote above, there are still several current lenses that have a screwdriver type AF drive and most of them are optically superb.

Keep in mind that many of us have much more invested in Glass than in camera bodies. Glass is a lifetime investment. I and many others continue to use old lenses, including: AF, AF-D, and even MF lenses 30 or more years old, along with the latest AF-S lenses.

The reason that AF motors were not included on the entry level bodies was to reduce the cost. Given that the vast majority of those that purchase entry level bodies will never go beyond the kit lens or lenses it made economic sense.

Since All AF lenses are chipped, the lens communicates with the camera body so it uses the appropriate interface to drive the AF be it electrical (AF-S) or mechanical (AF, AF-D).

Best Regards,
Marty

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Thu 08-Nov-12 05:22 AM
807 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: D5200 Question"

HIXSON, US

There are Nikon lenses out there that do not have any motors in them. My Nikon 50mm f/1.8D is one of those. For some reason, I was surprised that it didn't autofocus on my D5100.

Then there is also the argument that if the VR was built into the camera body, you could get lighter, less expensive glass. Seems like VR on the camera is such a compromise for different lens types, etc.

Charlie

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Wed 14-Nov-12 06:09 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#41. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 29
Wed 14-Nov-12 06:11 PM by MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US

I'll add to what's been said, AF-S will be quieter and (in most cases) faster AF, and it has been pretty much proven AF-S allows more consistent accuracy in focusing. This isn't surprising given that the AF motor can be sized appropriately for the lens, and have less mechanical linkage. It's a much more tightly controlled system.

Therefore, AF-S is the generally desirable AF system.

At the time the D40 was introduced, I considered the lack of AF motor to be a serious deficiency. Now, most of the holes in the lineup have been plugged so that it's not so much an issue any more. Indeed, unless you intend to autofocus with legacy lenses, it's something you'll never miss.

I lost a lot of old lenses in a burglary, and my new kit contains only 1 screwdrive lens (AF 50mm f/1.8D). If were compelled instead to replace this with AF-S 50mm f/1.8G, for body compatibility, I wouldn't have considered it any big deal.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 07-Nov-12 01:07 AM
4334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 3

Alberta, CA

Higher IQ at higher ISO and better dynamic range......and keep my DX lenses.....

D5200 will have better high ISO quality depending on which camera you are coming from, probably aside from the Nikon 16mp DX cameras which are already very good, and which are basically a draw with the 24mp sensor as far as high ISO is concerned. It will be interesting to see if this pattern holds true for the D5200.

According to DxOMark (and using the D3200 sensor as a stand-in), the D3200 has equivalent ISO to the D5100 and beats the D5000 (1131, 1183, 868). Of course this compare tool can also be used to call up even earlier sensors which should all be beaten rather handily by the D5200. The other thing to keep in mind is that the D5200 14-bit compressed RAW will offer some further improvement over the D3200 12-bit RAW IQ but am not sure if that will affect ISO the rating:

Compare D3200/D5100/D5000 (copy and paste the entire link into your browser)
www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/801|0/(brand)/Nikon/(appareil2)/698|0/(brand2)/Nikon/(appareil3)/587|0/(brand3)/Nikon

Anyhow, I am a gobsmacked that Nikon included the 2000 pixel RGB metering sensor AND the 39-point AF system from the D600/D7000 lineage. Combined with the 24mp sensor, I think this is a very very nice update indeed! I believe it will be a great camera, very nice package of features.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Thu 08-Nov-12 05:51 AM
807 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 12

HIXSON, US

>
>Anyhow, I am a gobsmacked that Nikon included the 2000 pixel
>RGB metering sensor AND the 39-point AF system from the
>D600/D7000 lineage. Combined with the 24mp sensor, I think
>this is a very very nice update indeed! I believe it will be
>a great camera, very nice package of features.
>

After looking closer at the specs in dpreview, I may not be gobsmacked (not sure what that is exactly), but I can now see a reason for ugrading from a D5100 for my 2nd body. The video improvements seem to be impressive as well. The AF-F is supposedly an improvemnt, as well as the improved resolution/fps. I would hope that it doesn't require video to be shot in Aperture mode. When you have a lens with no external aperture control, this can be problematic. It may just be me, but I hate shoooting video in Liveview. The reflection can get me. I once shot a 45 second video of grass growing while I watched myself on the articulating monitor. Not good.

Charlie

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Fri 09-Nov-12 02:11 AM
#31. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 30

Martinsville, US

The the British/Australian equivalent some what. getting your socks knocked off.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

Daveecopping Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2011Sat 10-Nov-12 02:47 AM
173 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 31

Polegate, GB

This word has found its way into the Oxford Dictionary of English. Being "utterly astonished or astounded".

Dave

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Sat 10-Nov-12 03:19 AM
#33. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 32

HIXSON, US

Thanks Dave!

Now I'll be able to sleep tonight.

Charlie

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sat 10-Nov-12 03:37 AM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 33

US

Steve suffers from New Camera Gobsmack Syndrome.

It is not well understood below the 49th parallel but we've seen some evidence of it previously.

- -

my Nikonians gallery.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 10-Nov-12 03:56 AM
4334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 34

Alberta, CA

I'll admit to that It's been a big new camera year!

As you might guess I am reading tea leaves again and inclusion of 2016 RGB and 39-point has got me to wondering about D7200 / D400 and what they might include to go "one better"?

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

meat Registered since 17th Feb 2012Sat 10-Nov-12 03:35 PM
138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 35

US

We may have a D7200 and a D3300 before we get a D400.

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Sat 10-Nov-12 06:28 PM
#37. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 36

HIXSON, US

>We may have a D7200 and a D3300 before we get a D400.

Guess I'm not wise enough in the world of Nikon, but what would be the difference between a D7200 and a D400? For some reason, I was thinking that it would be one or the other.

I think that the D600 precludes another less capable full frame mirror-based camera. It just seems to me like there is more headroom in the D7000 numbering scheme than going to D400, D500 scheme, unless Nikon plans to abandon DX cameras with autofocus motors. That would leave the two level consumer market to the 3,000 & 5,000 schemes. The prosumer market could be left to the 7,000 series as a DX w/autofocus & the D600 series for lower end FX.

So, I am just wondering about why there would be a D7200/D7300 and a D400. What would be the differentiation?

Charlie

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sat 10-Nov-12 06:48 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 37

US

1. Two thumb buttons (AF-On and Ae-L/Af-L)
2. 8 fps or better
3. 51 AF points
4. All magnesium body

There may be others- I've never gone down the punch list. But I think these are the "deal breakers" for those that want a D400.

my Nikonians gallery.

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Sun 11-Nov-12 01:26 AM
#40. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 38

HIXSON, US

Neil,

I see what you are saying. To your points:

1. I agree on the two thumb buttons, although I have been able to do without the AF-On on my D7000. I know that depending on how you shoot, this might be a deal breaker. I’m sure there is a lot that I don’t know, but I’m having a problem seeing why that would be that difficult or expensive to add to the D7000 successor.
2. 8 fps or more. Yes, I know this is a big deal for many. Unless they can reasonably upgrade their technology, not sure how they can make a D7200 or D400 with both 24mp & 8fps. No matter the case, I doubt seriously that Nikon could compete anymore with less than 24mp. Personally, I can’t imagine needing more than 24mp that are really good.
3. 51 AF points. I see no reason why this has to be a distinction unless they just want it to be.
4. All magnesium body. Not as sure about the cost of this item.

You might also want to add 2-9 bracketing capability.

My perhaps bigger point is whether Nikon will be able to make a case of differentiation big enough to keep both high-end series of DX cameras in the line. What could be possible if they kept both would be to let each leap frog the other in subsequent releases. But, I think both are in need of an upgrade. I know that the D7000’s price has been decreasing with several special kit deals as well. If I remember correctly, the D7000 was out there before the D5100, and now there is a D5200. Has the D300s price been decreasing as well?

I guess speculating is futile, but it does bear on my plans, and I ain’t getting any younger. I am holding off on several purchases currently.

Charlie

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sat 10-Nov-12 07:06 PM
740 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 37

Garretson, US

I wonder what the odds are that both would be left behind I favor of a entry level fx in a similar price range. Maybe what happens with the 7xxx, and 3xx depends on how well the D600 sells. Just a thought. I do find it hard to believe they would abandon a DX camera with a focus motor. But who really knows what they are thinking.

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Thu 15-Nov-12 01:40 AM
#42. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 39

HIXSON, US

>I wonder what the odds are that both would be left behind I
>favor of a entry level fx in a similar price range. Maybe what
>happens with the 7xxx, and 3xx depends on how well the D600
>sells. Just a thought. I do find it hard to believe they would
>abandon a DX camera with a focus motor. But who really knows
>what they are thinking.

I'm having a problem imagining an entry level FX below a D600 that would be very appealing & competitve. But, I no longer understand the Canon & other competitive camera families.

Charlie

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 15-Nov-12 02:02 AM
#43. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 31

Alberta, CA

BTW Phillip, I confirmed that my local dealer here in Canada has D3200 body only for sale, $520. I really liked the feel of the D3200 in hand, and they happened to have the 35mm f/1.8 mounted on it and I must say the D3200 felt surprisingly solid and very nice light package. Even the garish red body seemed pretty nice actually.

www.mcbaincamera.com

I suspect you could get one locally as well... somewhere.

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

jules Basic MemberTue 06-Nov-12 04:45 PM
967 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

>What will all those extra pixels give us?
>
>
The Desire for a new P.C.

Cheers jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Tue 06-Nov-12 05:45 PM
#8. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 7

HIXSON, US

>>What will all those extra pixels give us?
>>
>>
>The Desire for a new P.C.
>
>Cheers jules...
>tri-elmar-fudd
>www.exaggeratedperspectives.co.uk

Jules,

There is that need for 50% more storage space than the D5100. You could also say that you can save money because you will not need a lens with 50% more focal length.

On your profile, you state that your most useless gadget is a D800E. That requires even more storage area. I would love to help you unload that pesky burden. Just ship it to me postage collect.

Charlie

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Tue 06-Nov-12 05:54 PM
#9. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 8

US

For accuracy, 50% more pixels here yields only 21% more pixels in each dimension, so at best is an equivalent to a 21% "boost" in "reach" as defined by pixels across a target.

I've never been a believer that denser pixels can be endlessly scaled up to replace focal length, so I added that "at best" part . I may be proven wrong, of course

my Nikonians gallery.

jules Basic MemberTue 06-Nov-12 09:30 PM
#11. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 9

GB

>For accuracy, 50% more pixels here yields only 21% more
>pixels in each dimension, so at best is an equivalent to a 21%
>"boost" in "reach" as defined by pixels
>across a target.
>
>I've never been a believer that denser pixels can be endlessly
>scaled up to replace focal length, so I added that "at
>best" part . I may be proven wrong, of course

I'm with you on that too Neil, I'd rather shoot the appropriate body for the subject whether it be Dx or Fx and crop using the Lens not the sensor...
Every Pixel is precious

Cheers jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

jules Basic MemberTue 06-Nov-12 09:15 PM
#10. "RE: D800E..."
In response to Reply # 8
Tue 06-Nov-12 09:25 PM by jules

GB

Charlie, I no longer have it, Hated it, Sent it back, currently just using the Fuji...
Anyway I was just having a bit of harmless fun However I'm hoping that the implementation of this "New?" sensor is indeed different to the one in the Sony A77 I trialed, as it was a noise monster and no mistake! Translucent mirror or not, it was gritty like a Canon 7d ( 7d Is a gritty sensor masked by clever Canon software/firmware, Sony just didn't bother IMHO!)
Cheers jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Wed 07-Nov-12 08:20 PM
#24. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 8

Martinsville, US

I would even give $50.00 ad pay postage as well.

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Thu 08-Nov-12 05:14 AM
#28. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 24

HIXSON, US

See Post #10

Charlie

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 07-Nov-12 01:25 AM
#13. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 7

Alberta, CA

I can report this much, that my i7 quad core 2.93 GHz iMac with 16Gb RAM uptook the 36mp D800E files without much of a bother. There's probably a bit more churn going on in the background compared to my 16mp cams, but not so much that I notice any waiting. Right out of the gate I shot some 7-frame HDR sequences where I was combining 7 200mp+ TIFFs for a total of 1.5Gb per combined image, and it didn't seem bad at all. I also recently had a shoot where I batch processed about 200 images and Capture NX2 munched through them without any hiccups.

Yes my hard drives are full, but they already were full anyways and I'll just have to buy more. Especially with my latest foray into video exacerbating the situation. BTW, D5200 looks like a great video-rig too and over on the D600 forum we have just proven that one can adjust (D7000) Aperture on the fly during recording by shooting video in shutter priority and manipulating exposure compensation button (providing the much vaunted manual aperture control that some video shooters consider a minimum criteria).

So all in all, I was expecting a much worse processing hit from these new higher mp cameras, but it hasn't been bad at all for me. Can't speak for lesser machines, but at this level I have been just fine and that has been a very pleasant surprise. But you may be right if one was operating a barely tolerable machine on 10, 12, or 16mp images the jump to 24 may cause some pain

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

jules Basic MemberWed 07-Nov-12 03:24 AM
#14. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 13
Wed 07-Nov-12 03:28 AM by jules

GB

Hi Steve, I'd love an i7 Mac!
I'm running an i5, 16Gb of RAM and an SSD cash drive with two 2Gb, 7200 Spin speed Hardisks and with my D800E files, it just churned, actually being unable to complete a Develop process in Lightroom 4 before freezing solid!
It handled my 5D MKII Files fine though but not the SONY A77 ones, here it hit the wall, so despite my flippancy earlier it is a consideration for upgraders, I run a lean machine too for speed. I am not currently in a position where I could upgrade my desktop for a higher Mp count body and I think it's something for new users to watch out for in a potential upgrade to a D3200/5200, to ensure a happy experience...

Cheers jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 07-Nov-12 04:10 AM
#15. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 14

Alberta, CA

I knew iMacs can run both an SSD and a HD. But are you saying I can add a second internal HD and an SSD (currently I just have a 1Tb HD and a couple external HDs).

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

jules Basic MemberWed 07-Nov-12 05:11 AM
#16. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 15
Wed 07-Nov-12 05:13 AM by jules

GB

Should have been clearer Steve, I'm running one of those dammned unattractive looking Windows PC's!
You just don't have the room to do that in an iMac I fear!
Having completed degree equivilant in computer science a couple of years ago, I grew to dislike Windows PC's a great deal (Familiarity breedng contempt?) but cost is one of the advantages I suppose, and the fact that there is always room to bung in another drive in one of those ugly beige boxes, without having to resort to a Mac Pro (Which I would also love by the way!)

Cheers jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 07-Nov-12 05:29 AM
#17. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 16

Alberta, CA

OK, thanks for clarifying. For sure I need to upgrade my 1Tb internal HD upwards as big as the iMac can take, which last time I checked was 2Tb, and maybe 3Tb is possible now.

SSD is on my someday list too.

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Wed 07-Nov-12 07:28 AM
#18. "RE: D5200 Question"
In response to Reply # 17

Garretson, US

I know of people that put two drives in their Mac book pros but there is a catch. Since there is limited room you have to use a kit to install it in your drive bay so if you use your drive you will then need to use it as and external drive. I don't see any reason you couldn't do this with an iMac. I would, however, rather have two ssd drives and an external super drive. I don't like traveling with an external hd, they don't hold up that well for me.

jules Basic MemberWed 07-Nov-12 11:47 AM
#19. "There you go Steve..."
In response to Reply # 18
Wed 07-Nov-12 11:53 AM by jules

GB

http://www.ifixit.com/Apple-Parts/12-7-mm-SATA-Optical-Bay-SATA-Hard-Drive-Enclosure/IF107-081?utm_source=ifixit_guide&utm_medium=wiki_text&utm_term=if107-081&utm_content=product_link

You need to place your HDD into the Disc drive kit (Assuming you have a 2.5" drive you can use!)and then you can fit an SSD where your original drive went!

Cheers jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 07-Nov-12 12:36 PM
#20. "RE: There you go Steve..."
In response to Reply # 19

Alberta, CA

Thank you guys, I will investigate!

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 07-Nov-12 06:58 PM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: What is better about the D5200"
In response to Reply # 20

Monterey Bay, US

My understanding is that the D3200 Sensor has been tweaked to give higher ISO, quality and Video performance.

The AF module has been reworked also

Then we have Expeed 3.1 processor and probably a reworked pipeline.

Personally I wonder what all this means in the next/ higher end DX camera?

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Wed 07-Nov-12 07:39 PM
#22. "RE: What is better about the D5200"
In response to Reply # 21

HIXSON, US

>My understanding is that the D3200 Sensor has been tweaked to
>give higher ISO, quality and Video performance.
>
>The AF module has been reworked also
>
>Then we have Expeed 3.1 processor and probably a reworked
>pipeline.
>
>Personally I wonder what all this means in the next/ higher
>end DX camera?

Hopefully, the D7200/D400 will be available "no later" than March 2013. I came up with that date in a very rare moment of clairvoyance after weighing many factors including shows/conferences/events.

Nikon may think that the D3200/D5200 & the new 7-200/f4 are sufficient for Santa Claus. They may also be waiting to see the reaction to the new sensor in the D5200 to see if that generates enough interest over the D5100 before locking in on a feature set for the D7200/D400. Who knows what Nikon is cooking up to stimulate our NAS?

Charlie

jules Basic MemberWed 07-Nov-12 08:38 PM
#26. "RE: What is better about the D5200"
In response to Reply # 21

GB

>My understanding is that the D3200 Sensor has been tweaked to
>give higher ISO, quality and Video performance.
>
>The AF module has been reworked also
>
>Then we have Expeed 3.1 processor and probably a reworked
>pipeline.
>
>Personally I wonder what all this means in the next/ higher
>end DX camera?

Thats what I hear too Roger, it would seem the base sensor is the same but Nikons been tweaking, at least I can't find any Sensor update news from Sony anyway, there are at least three versions of the 16Mp Sensor but there only seems to be one 24Mp APSC one...

Cheers jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6948 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.