Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6943
View in linear mode

Subject: "Where should I start?" Previous topic | Next topic
GTRSv Registered since 29th Oct 2012Wed 31-Oct-12 01:51 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Where should I start?"

US

Hi everyone!
I hope this isn't a question asked every other day but I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction on where to start. Im looking to make a first DSLR purchase and I was considering the D5100 kit and possibly the 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S lens as well. If i purchase them together on amazon it comes out to $850 so that doesn't seem bad. If anyone has other tips or suggestions on where to start please let me know, thanks!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Where should I start?
MEMcD Moderator
31st Oct 2012
pjonesCET Gold Member
03rd Nov 2012
MEMcD Moderator
03rd Nov 2012
John Bertotti Gold Member
03rd Nov 2012
jpFoto
31st Oct 2012
Digital_Reality
01st Nov 2012
GTRSv
02nd Nov 2012
KnightPhoto Gold Member
07th Nov 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 31-Oct-12 03:02 AM
26095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Where should I start?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi CJ,

Welcome to Nikonians!
The D5100 is an excellent camera for a Beginner and a great value with the extra discount on a second lens.

Why don't you check:
www.berger-bros.com
www.bhphotovideo.com
www..adorama.com
www.centralcamera.com
www.robertscamera.com
All of the above are well known Nikon Authorized Dealers and stand behind the gear that they sell.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

pjonesCET Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2011Sat 03-Nov-12 07:02 PM
573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Where should I start?"
In response to Reply # 1
Sat 03-Nov-12 07:03 PM by pjonesCET

Martinsville, US

One of your links is written wrong.

You have:
www..adorama.com

should be:
www.adorama.com?kbid=64628

(one too many periods.)

Phillip M Jones, CET
pjonescet@comcast.net
http://www.phillipmjones.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjonescet/
http://www.phillipjones-cet.net

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 03-Nov-12 07:19 PM
26095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Where should I start?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Phillip,

Thanks for the correction.
Big thumbs on my iPhone.

Best Regards,
Marty

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sat 03-Nov-12 10:39 PM
716 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Where should I start?"
In response to Reply # 6

Garretson, US

Didn't I read somewhere Nikon has an announcement scheduled for the 6 th? Might be worth a wait for little bit more if you aren't in a rush.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Wed 31-Oct-12 12:16 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Where should I start?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 31-Oct-12 12:24 PM by jpFoto

US

As Marty said, you have chosen an excellent camera that is not only for beginners but suitable for photographers at every skill level.

I would also recommend all of the vendors that he has linked, but some of them may no longer have the promotion available for the 55-300 at a $150.00 discount that Amazon is offering. I think that the promotion was discontinued so Amazon may be your best bet. Their return or exchange policy is also better than some vendors.

jP

Edit. To answer your question, it is a fantastic price for such a good camera and two excellent lenses.

Digital_Reality Registered since 19th Oct 2012Thu 01-Nov-12 06:06 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Where should I start?"
In response to Reply # 0

Bangalore, IN

Nice choice. You are getting excellent camera in your budget. Best luck with shopping!

GTRSv Registered since 29th Oct 2012Fri 02-Nov-12 08:46 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Where should I start?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Thanks for the responses guys! I definitely will be looking around for a little bit more before I do buy anything

I was considering a D90 too but those seem a bit too expensive for me atm considering I'd have to buy lenses.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 07-Nov-12 01:59 AM
4281 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Where should I start?"
In response to Reply # 4

Alberta, CA

I'd also consider the 55-200VR package as an alternative to the 55-300. Try handling it in the shop and see what you think.

My feeling is too many opt for the longer zoom without accounting for the larger physical dimensions. The 55-200 fits in a pocket easier and judging from reviews also has very good image quality.

And please throw out the factory strap that comes with the camera and get a Black-Rapid, UpStrap, or similar!

(and don't go D90, in my books this is a 2-generation old sensor for which better is available - DSLRs start and end with the sensor)

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6943 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.