nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6905
View in linear mode

Subject: "Videos with the D5100" Previous topic | Next topic
avigar Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Nov 2006Thu 18-Oct-12 04:39 PM
486 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Videos with the D5100"
Thu 18-Oct-12 05:34 PM by avigar

Northern IL, US

What's the recommended number of minutes that one can record at a time? I'm worried about processor heat and its effects on the camera. I'd want to prevent the camera from needing a cooldown before I can start shooting pictures again with it.

---Ben

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 19-Oct-12 01:31 AM
10884 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Videos with the D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

For the most part, hybrid still/video cameras are limited to 30 minutes of continuous shooting, so that's the maximum clip length before recording stops and you have to restart. This is a deliberate limitation to avoid being considered from a taxation perspective as a pure video product. That being said, it's probably more important to think about how long the clip can be before your post-processing chore becomes unmanageable. I wouldn't want to be editing full thirty minute continuous clips. I would prefer to edit 3-5 minute long clips, knowing that for the most part, I'm not going to pull more than a minute of video from it and likely archiving or dumping the remainder.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 07-Nov-12 08:07 PM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Videos with the D5100"
In response to Reply # 1

Monterey Bay, US

I never had any trouble with my D5100 overheating.
Typical Video use was 3 or slightly more 20 minute segments during Church services.
I was shooting HD1080 at 30fps.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mguffin Registered since 25th Nov 2011Mon 12-Nov-12 04:59 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Videos with the D5100"
In response to Reply # 2

US

The D5100 is limited to 20 minutes, assuming your card can hold it...

Mike

D610 ~ Fuji X-E1 ~ Ricoh GR

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6905 Previous topic | Next topic