nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6886
View in linear mode

Subject: "AF-S 55-300 lens on D3100 "lens not attached" message" Previous topic | Next topic
redwriter99 Registered since 15th Oct 2012Mon 15-Oct-12 11:19 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"AF-S 55-300 lens on D3100 "lens not attached" message"
Mon 15-Oct-12 11:20 PM by redwriter99

US

I originally posted this in the compatibility listing, but I think maybe I shouldn't have done that. It might be better as it's on subject, I don't want to clutter that list with questions. sorry.

I see the AF-S 55-300 mm f4.5-5.6G ED VR is on the compatible list for the D3100. However when I put the lens on my camera I received a "lens not attached" message. Looking closer the 55-300 does not have the small target ball on the periphery of the mount face (which I presume the camera body using to idenitfy that a lens is in place).

Based on the compatibility charts (from Nikon too) I assumed this lens would work on my D3100 with AF. Any help? Am I doing something wrong or do I have an old lens or something?

And yes, I am an amateur.
thanks in advance.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: AF-S 55-300 lens on D3100 "lens not attached" messa...
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
16th Oct 2012
Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot
16th Oct 2012
redwriter99
16th Oct 2012
briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills
16th Oct 2012
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
16th Oct 2012
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine
17th Oct 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 16-Oct-12 02:59 AM
26985 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: AF-S 55-300 lens on D3100 "lens not attached" message"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Mike,

Welcome to Nikonians!
The Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S VR DX is fully compatible with the D3100.

The dot on the top of the lens barrel at the back of the lens should be at the 12 o'clock position when the lens is mounted on the camera. It is only an alignment mark and has nothing to do with how the camera detects the lens.

Are you inadvertantly pressing the lens release button on the camera body?

Is the lens fully seated and locked in the mount?
Try rotating the lens back and fourth in the mount to check.
If the lens is fully seated and locked in the mount and the problem continues, remove the lens and clean the electrical contacts on both the camera body and the llens mount. Make sure all of the electrical contacts on the lens project out the same distance. They are spring loaded and can get jammed in.
The remount the lens: align the dot on the lens with the dot on the camera body then rotate 1/4 turn counter clockwise until it locks in the mount. it should work.
If not it is more than likely a problem with the lens.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Tue 16-Oct-12 10:31 PM
52430 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: AF-S 55-300 lens on D3100 "lens not attached" message"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

I would also clean the contacts.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

redwriter99 Registered since 15th Oct 2012Tue 16-Oct-12 10:58 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: AF-S 55-300 lens on D3100 "lens not attached" message"
In response to Reply # 2

US

thanks for the advice. I made sure that I heard the soft-click to make sure I had positive engagement on the lens. still same message. I tried cleaning the contacts with a q-tip and made sure that each ball/target was not depressed (spring loaded). still couldn't get it to work. I put an old lens on the camera body and it recognized it no problem. Assuming it's a problem with the lens. I plan on returning it for another unit.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 16-Oct-12 11:12 PM
29326 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: AF-S 55-300 lens on D3100 "lens not attached" message"
In response to Reply # 3

Paignton, UK

As Marty said, the little white "dome" is just a physical indicator to help you align the lens when mounting. It has no other function, and isn't part of the problem here

The "dome" is a recent innovation from Nikon - Nikkor lenses launched prior to the last year or so have instead a simple white painted dot to fulfil the same function.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 16-Oct-12 11:35 PM
26985 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: AF-S 55-300 lens on D3100 "lens not attached" message"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Mike,

Since another lens works on your camera, there must be a problem with that copy of the 55-300mm. Exchanging it for a new one makes the most sense. A wire or electrical connection in the lens must have broken or worked its way loose during shipping.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 17-Oct-12 02:23 PM
10877 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: AF-S 55-300 lens on D3100 "lens not attached" message"
In response to Reply # 0

US

A loose fit on the lens mount to the camera can sometimes cause this. Even if you hear the bayonet "click," it's still possible that the electronic contacts are intermittent. This happens every so often when I deal with certain third-party Teleconverters. I find that twisting just a little bit more in the mounting direction clears that error. Unfortunately, that really requires a mechanical (i.e., shop) fix because it can happen at any time.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6886 Previous topic | Next topic