Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6845
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wild life Photography" Previous topic | Next topic
donaldmcdougall Registered since 29th Sep 2012Sat 06-Oct-12 08:09 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Wild life Photography"

ZA

I want to photograph wild life at night with my d5100. For this i would like to interface an IR beam the camera via a potential free contact or a optocoupler. The other challenge is to power the camera and equipment off a 12V battery. Has any one done this, or part of this?
Kind regards, Donald.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Wild life Photography
donaldmcdougall
08th Oct 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
08th Oct 2012
donaldmcdougall
09th Oct 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
09th Oct 2012
donaldmcdougall
11th Oct 2012
donaldmcdougall
26th Oct 2012

donaldmcdougall Registered since 29th Sep 2012Mon 08-Oct-12 07:10 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Wild life Photography"
In response to Reply # 0

ZA

Hi, i found that the EP-5A Power Connector and the AC Adapter EH-5B will supply power to the d5100 continuously. This solves my second problem if there is AC power available.
I was contemplating buying a pirate battery (i have seen warnings that this in not a good idea as they fail) and making a voltage regulator board to supply the required power and mounting it inside a battery case with a cable to the 12V battery.
Has any one seen this done?

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 08-Oct-12 11:37 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Wild life Photography"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Nikon does not make an IR remote control that includes an interrupt trigger for the D5100. There is the ML3 for the more advanced Nikon dSLRs that interfaces through the wired trigger control so the camera can goto sleep and the IR remote will wake the camera when the IR beam from the transmitter is interrupted.

The IR for the D5100 has a time out feature so the ML-L3 or similar remote would not work.

You might look for a 3rd party product that uses the wired remote port of the D5100 and can trip the focus and then the shutter release. This would allow your camera to sleep between camera shots.

Bumford Time Machine

George
My Nikonian Galleries

donaldmcdougall Registered since 29th Sep 2012Tue 09-Oct-12 10:17 AM
#3. "RE: Wild life Photography"
In response to Reply # 2

ZA

Hi George, thanks for that. I looked up the ML3 remote trigger and it would be ideal except that it is for the 10 pin connector. My camera, the d5100 does not have the 10 pin connector. Is there an adapter from this 10 pin connector for the d5100?

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 09-Oct-12 03:12 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Wild life Photography"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue 09-Oct-12 08:14 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

There are, follow the link for the Bumford Time Machine, they have a camera cord to interface your camera to their control unit.

If you are good at electronic look for the Arduino chip and various projects for camera and flash control projects. It will require some assembly and programming.

Harbortronics has a number of products for wildlife and outdoor photography.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

donaldmcdougall Registered since 29th Sep 2012Thu 11-Oct-12 06:03 AM
#5. "RE: Wild life Photography"
In response to Reply # 4

ZA

Hi George, it took me some time to digest the information you gave me, thanks a lot. The websites were most helpful. I have a constraint with $ (money) and being in South Africa the exchange is against me. With this in mind I went down to the local electronics shop and bought some IR diodes and Photo transistors. I intend on making my own IR beams. What I want is a simple system just to trigger the Camera, of course this may grow. I think for the cable I will buy one of those cheep wired remotes and hack that.

donaldmcdougall Registered since 29th Sep 2012Fri 26-Oct-12 08:02 PM
#6. "RE: Wild life Photography"
In response to Reply # 5

ZA

I Have been doing some development of this idea. i built a transmitter and receiver circuit with limited success. i found this link http://pcbheaven.com/circuitpages/Long_Range_IR_Beam_Break_Detector/?p=0
The advantage of this is that it will use a lot less current than i was wanting anticipating, because it has a timer that only transmits a signal with a low duty cycle. When i get the spares and build it i will give a report on how it works.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6845 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.