Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #683
View in linear mode

Subject: "Event Photography" Previous topic | Next topic
hithmojr Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2007Thu 01-Oct-09 01:32 PM
431 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Event Photography"

Northern Virginia, US

I've been asked by an associate of mine to shoot his band after work tonight. This was a last minute request. I haven't shot a concert since 1976 (Chuck Mangione!) and I'm looking for some starting points on settings. I grabbed the following as I ran out the door this morning:

- D300
- NIKON AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4D
- NIKON AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6G IF-ED
- SIGMA APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG MACRO HSM
- SB800

I typically shoot high school/college sports and landscapes.

I would appreciate suggestions from those w/experience in this area.

Thanks in advance!

Chuck

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Thu 01-Oct-09 03:23 PM
2672 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Event Photography"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Use your 50 f1.4. I shoot local bands using a D300 and the 50 with the aperture wide open, ISO 1600, on aperture priority. Depending on the lighting you'll get widely varying shutter speeds. I don't use a flash because it affects the colors you see from the light show, but I wouldn't argue against taking shots with and without flash.

I'm assuming you can move around. With a D300 you may have to stand quite a bit back from the stage to get the whole band in with the 50, and a wider lens (for example 35mm) might be nice. But I just use the 50 and find I can zoom with my feet, standing back to get the whole band in, and moving to the stage to get shots of the individuals.

If the venue has its own light show you may be able to any of your lenses and get shots when the lights are brighter, but f1.4 surely is nice in dark venues. If you take lots of photos and delete the bad ones, you'll end up with a few nice ones to show the band.

I shoot sports too, and you'll find you can get away with much slower shutter speeds shooting bands, so don't think you need 1/320 to get good shots.

Randy

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 01-Oct-09 03:41 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Event Photography"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

You may even get some shots with your Sigma 2.8 at 70mm. The Nikor 18-200 might work at 18mm but because of the variable aperture, it would be problematic at the higher focal lengths.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #683 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.