Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6822
View in linear mode

Subject: "Extra battery questions....." Previous topic | Next topic
adinis Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jun 2012Tue 02-Oct-12 03:20 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Extra battery questions....."

US

So I have a D3000 and the stock 7.2v 1080Ah battery that came with it. I wanted extra batteries and got two non branded 7.4v 2000mAh Li-ion batteries. I charged them about two months ago and had them stored in the camera bag. Yesterday I went to Liberty State Park in NJ and used those batteries along with an aftermarket battery grip for the D3000. After only about 80 pictures I noticed that my batteries started to die out. So I have a few questions, (a) when using a battery grip do both batteries work at the same time or one at a time? , (b) is the voltage on the non branded batteries and issue?, (c) should I maybe look into other replacement batteries, if so any recommendations(looking to maybe get something more affordable than stock nikon)?, (d) did they die out so fast because they where stored too long without being used?

Another question, since I have 3 batteries and only have one charger, stock, any recommendations on a dual battery charger? Been looking all over the net and can't seem to find one that would work with the EN-EL9a batteries.

Thank you in advance for your answers and recommendations.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Extra battery questions.....
blw Moderator
02nd Oct 2012
adinis Silver Member
03rd Oct 2012
MEMcD Moderator
03rd Oct 2012
adinis Silver Member
03rd Oct 2012
adinis Silver Member
03rd Oct 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
03rd Oct 2012
adinis Silver Member
03rd Oct 2012
MEMcD Moderator
03rd Oct 2012
blw Moderator
04th Oct 2012

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 02-Oct-12 06:37 PM
26562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Extra battery questions....."
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I have no idea how aftermarket battery grips work. I don't actually have any Nikon MDB-xx's either, but I am pretty sure that they use the batteries sequentially.

The 7.4v should not be a problem, but I don't have one of these so I'm not really so sure. The camera almost certainly has an internal voltage regulator, though.

Generally speaking, third party battery experience has not be very good, with the very notable exception being the batteries for the D1/D1h/D1x, which are by all accounts vastly superior to the Nikon ones. Otherwise, it seems to be at best a 50/50 proposition. My impression from reading Nikonians over 8+ years is that you're a lot more likely to be satisfied with Nikon batteries. I realize that this makes no sense, as battery technology is not an ultra-secret kind of thing - but go back and read the dozens or even hundreds of threads. I would guess that even if you successfully replace this set with another set of third party batteries, you're probably exceeding the price of the Nikon ones in the first place, so probably this is a case of false economy.

I do think that leaving them sitting for several months is inviting trouble, although I'm surprised that they were down so far after just two months. And hopefully you didn't mean that you got a total of 80 frames on the three batteries? If you really mean 80 total, you might consider working without your grip for a while, to see if it is the main issue with battery drain. No Nikon DSLR I've ever used has consumed anywhere near that much current - you should be able to do 80 frames on just a single stock battery even if you're using LiveView and flash. I literally don't think I've ever run out of battery in a day, on any of the Nikon batteries - even the old EN-EL3 in the D100.

If it were me, I'd have gotten one additional EN-EL9a and been done with it. Swap them when one gets low and charge the low one.

Note that I'm hardly a Nikon-only guy. I use lots of third party stuff, but batteries seem to be one area where this just isn't a great idea.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

adinis Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jun 2012Wed 03-Oct-12 02:55 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Extra battery questions....."
In response to Reply # 1

US

>And hopefully you didn't mean that you got a total of 80 frames on the three batteries?

I meant i got about a total of 80 pictures while using the aftermarket grip and the two non branded batteries (no flash used, and the D3000 does not have Liveview). I had not used the original Nikon battery on that day, i did take it with me just in case i needed it. What i did notice was that when i put in one of the non branded batteries directly on the camera it was dead, i then inserted the other non branded and it had drained by 1/3 (my D3000 shows batteries as 3 bars). So i only got 80 pictures out of a non branded battery, even though it is labled as being stronger than the original. I guess as they say "you get what you pay for" i think the batteries where less than $10 each, but it is ridiculous to spend close to $40 for a Nikon battery.

I will admit that i probably did not have to go out and get a battery grip and two extra batteires, since i am not a daily photographer, i would probably use the camera maybe 3 times a year. The good thinh about the battery grip i got is that is came with a AA battery adapter so i could always use that if i really need more juice. I will continue to search for a dual battery charger and that would be more than enough, or just give in and get an original Nikon battery.

Thank you for your helpfull insight.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 03-Oct-12 03:36 AM
25643 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Extra battery questions....."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Antonio,

>a) when using a battery grip do both batteries work at the same time >or one at a time?

When using Nikon Grips, specifically the MB-D200, MB-D100, and the MB-D80 (the only three Grips that use Dual Batteries in the grip) the batteries are used one at a time. First one battery is used, and when depleated the second battery is used.

>(b) is the voltage on the non branded batteries and issue?,

There have been issues with many third party batteries over the years. Some have good luck with them, others nothing but problems.
The third party batteries, I tried several years ago in my D200 would not even allow the camera to power up when turned on. The Nikon batteries I replaced them with have continued to work perfectly to this day. That was about 6 years ago.

>(c) should I maybe look into other replacement batteries, if so any
>recommendations(looking to maybe get something more affordable
>than stock nikon)?,

Personally I would recommend getting a Nikon battery and not looking back.

>(d) did they die out so fast because they where stored too long >without being used?

While all batteries lose power when not used for long periods of time, getting only 80 shots on two batteries seems very low for sitting for only two months. I have had batteries stored for a lot longer than two months and they held about 90% of their charge.

>Another question, since I have 3 batteries and only have one
>charger, stock, any recommendations on a dual battery charger?

The Nikon MH-22 (D3 Series) and the MH-26 (D4 Series) both priced north of $300.00 have duel slots but only charge one battery at a time. Charging three batteries sequencially on after the other on your charger shouldn't be that much of a problem. If you really feel the need, get another Nikon MH-23 Charger.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

adinis Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jun 2012Wed 03-Oct-12 03:03 PM
#4. "RE: Extra battery questions....."
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 03-Oct-12 03:08 PM by adinis

US

>Personally I would recommend getting a Nikon battery and not looking back.

I might consider that but then again i am not one to use my camera that often, maybe 3 times a year, so the original and the two non branded are more than enough, plus the battery grip came with a AA adapter so i could alway use that if needed. Also spending $40 or so on a battery is just ridiculous.

>The Nikon MH-22 (D3 Series) and the MH-26 (D4 Series) both priced >north of $300.00 have duel slots but only charge one battery at a >time. Charging three batteries sequencially on after the other on >your charger shouldn't be that much of a problem. If you really feel >the need, get another Nikon MH-23 Charger.

$300 is way too much for my actual needs, plus the fact that it only charges one at time even though it is a dual charger it makes no sence. Will probably maybe get a regular charger or just keep looking for and actual dual charger online.

Thank you for your insight.

adinis Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jun 2012Wed 03-Oct-12 03:25 PM
#5. "RE: Extra battery questions....."
In response to Reply # 4

US

So i found this little charger that seems to be a great buy

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00711WD2O/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

not only can it charge dslr batteries but also small usb powered devices. Cant wait to get it.

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Wed 03-Oct-12 07:07 PM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Extra battery questions....."
In response to Reply # 5

HIXSON, US

Whoa! Did you see all the reviews for that product??? That's right, there was not one single review. Lot's a luck beta testing that baby. Hope it doesn't burn your house down.

My experience with non-Nikon batteries hasn't been all that bad, but the research to find the just right one was time consuming. I recently was about to charge one of those & realized that it had its own charger & I couldn't charge it on the Nikon Charger. No problem. My D80 & D300 both use the same batteries & I am a nut for spares. Hard to get a wedding party back together because you scrimped on batteries. Or waste a trip to the Grand Canyon, etc.

The other thing about the dual charger is that it talks about charging up to 3 times faster than normal chargers. That ain't necessarily a good thing. If you are in a hurry, maybe. But usually faster charges mean less charge & less life of the battery. Then you would need another charger to recondition your battery. Be very cautious of the heat level of a fast charger.

I do have a little problem with your thinking. Why would you need a dual charger if you don't shoot enough to warrant good batteries? Sometimes we value our own time so little that we'll spend hours trying to save $10.00. Even Nikon has battery recalls. The batteries for my D7000 were going for about $100.00 during the recall. That is one fine battery. Will a 3rd party be so dilligent about getting in touch with you if a series of their batteries are causing shorts or other problems???

If you're on here seeking advice from the pros.... Why are you seeking advice that you're not interested in even considering?

Marty gave you some damn good advice. He won't get a penny if you take it or don't. Have fun with your 3000.

Charlie

adinis Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jun 2012Wed 03-Oct-12 07:36 PM
#7. "RE: Extra battery questions....."
In response to Reply # 6

US

You are absolutely right, the item did not have any reviews (95% of the time i do go by reviews) and after reading your post and 5 seconds of thinking about it i decided to cancel the order. I was not able to cancel it but i will be returning it when i get it, will not even bother tring to test it out.

I did not get it because of the "fast charge feature", i ordered it because i could charge 2 batteries at the same time. But since i have the original battery and the AA adapter for the grip i should have no issues having available power.

Thank you for the insight

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 03-Oct-12 11:42 PM
25643 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Extra battery questions....."
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Antonio,

>I might consider that but then again i am not one to use my
>camera that often, maybe 3 times a year, so the original and
>the two non branded are more than enough, plus the battery
>grip came with a AA adapter so i could alway use that if
>needed. Also spending $40 or so on a battery is just
>ridiculous.

Since you only shoot 3 times a year, you really don't need a duel charger.
While it might be a little more convienient it you won't use it enough to make it worth your effort to find one. It takes less than two hours to charge a fully depleted battery and is not much effort to switch them out.
If you charge the batteries the night before you need them you might not even need a back up battery.

From my point of view $40.00 for a battery is dirt cheap.
At least compared to the EN-EL4a ($110.00), and EN-EL18 ($154.00) .

>$300 is way too much for my actual needs, plus the fact that
>it only charges one at time even though it is a dual charger
>it makes no sence.

Neither one will charge your EN-EL9a anyway.

Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 04-Oct-12 12:02 AM
26562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: Extra battery questions....."
In response to Reply # 4

Richmond, US

> Nikon MH-22 ... it only charges one at time even though it is a dual charger it makes no sence.

Well, I have one of these, and I think it works just fine. I might run two batteries down in a long day at a race - meaning two different cameras. For me, that means I shot about 2000 frames on one camera and probably 800 on the other one. I get back to the hotel, plop the batteries into the MH-22, put a fresh set in the cameras, and hit the sack. In the morning, they're both charged, and they go into the bag. It certainly seems to make a certain amount of sense. I don't really care that the batteries got charged sequentially while I was inspecting the back of my eyelids...

> i am not one to use my camera that often, maybe 3 times a year

Given that statement, I'm not at all certain that you need three batteries at all, and probably even two is overkill. Even given that your camera and battery don't have the capacity of the EN-EL4a's that go in the MH-22, I'd be pretty surprised if you can't get 500 frames in a charge. Do you really need to go further than that?

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6822 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.