Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6781
View in linear mode

Subject: "My new D5100" Previous topic | Next topic
dsobo Registered since 15th Sep 2012Wed 26-Sep-12 01:41 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"My new D5100"

US

D5100 in hand
I finally received my D5100 after much review between the D3200 and the D5100. I am very excited to get to know this great camera that Nikon has put out. I am sure this will suit my needs for many years till I am ready to move up. My next purchase will be a zoom lens, I will be researching the best one I need for the funds I have. Any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated. My needs for zoom at this time are for sports action and long range in general. Also any other ideas that the Nikonians family could suggest would be helpful as well.
1. Tripod
2. Flash

Nikon family for life.

Thank you in advance.

David~

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: My new D5100
MEMcD Moderator
26th Sep 2012
coolmom42 Silver Member
26th Sep 2012
Fortkentdad
29th Sep 2012
DPNIK51
03rd Oct 2012
Tippi Silver Member
04th Oct 2012
dsobo
04th Nov 2012
jimmills Silver Member
04th Nov 2012
MEMcD Moderator
04th Nov 2012
MontyG
06th Nov 2012
mguffin
12th Nov 2012
KnightPhoto Gold Member
15th Nov 2012
dsobo
16th Nov 2012
KnightPhoto Gold Member
08th Dec 2012
casacristeva
08th Dec 2012
KnightPhoto Gold Member
08th Dec 2012
casacristeva
08th Dec 2012
KnightPhoto Gold Member
08th Dec 2012
casacristeva
08th Dec 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 26-Sep-12 02:09 AM
24996 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: My new D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi David,

Congratulations on your new D5100.
As long as you will be shooting Sports outdoors in daylight conditions, the Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S VR DX is the value leader and optically excellent. More so given the price.

I would recommend reading the FAQ's pinned at the top of the Tripod forum before choosing one.

I would recommend getting an SB-700 or a used or refurbished SB-600.
While the SB-400 is much cheaper, it is only slightly more powerful than the built-in Speedlight.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Wed 26-Sep-12 02:40 PM
2788 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: My new D5100"
In response to Reply # 1

McEwen, US

I agree, this is a very good lens. I have it and it's never let me down. It's sharp at maximum focal length.

If you want to go longer, there is a Sigma 150-500 mm zoom that many people here are very fond of, and the price is much better than the Nikon 500 mm.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Fortkentdad Registered since 01st Sep 2012Sat 29-Sep-12 03:06 PM
175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: My new D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

Fort Kent, CA

I bought my D5100 in July this year and have really enjoyed it - I am very much in the "just learning" phase of this hobby. Snapping lots of pictures and working at getting past the "auto-everything" setting.

I have Nikon's AF-S 55-300 DX VR Zoom Lens which I bought with the camera. I've found it works great with the D5100. I had a Sigma 300 zoom lens from a Nikon SLR but learned it would not autofocus but would fit and 'work' on my D5100 so if auto-focus is a concern you'll need to get a newer lens with that capacity built in.

I did lots of research on line about the flash - thought I'd get away with a cheaper alternative to Nikon's SB-700. But after spending hours mulling it over decided that for my first flash at least I'd get a Nikon. It works flawlessly with my camera and can be the 'master' if I add another flash. The D5100 does not have the flash master control built in like some more expensive Nikon's so the SB-700 (or 900) attached adds that capacity.

I'm using Adobe Elements 10 to catalogue and edit my pictures - again a bit of a learning curve but not too bad. It really can ehance the image in many ways. I recommend it fully.

Have fun with your camera.

FKD
Alberta CANADA

DPNIK51 Registered since 09th Jul 2012Wed 03-Oct-12 05:24 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: My new D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

Spartanburg, US

I've had my D5100 about 1-1/2 years now with a 18-105 and the 55-300 Both are great especially the 55-300 but I use the 18-105 more. I want a Tamron 18-270 for a good walk around lens.

Good luck and have fun with your camera! Good choice!

Dan Patton
https://www.facebook.com/DanPattonFotoz

Tippi Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jan 2003Thu 04-Oct-12 07:01 PM
171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: My new D5100"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I have the Vr version of this tamron lens, but not the latest one. It is pretty good. Not as good as my 28-75, which won't AF on this camera.
The larger lens is heavy compared to my 18-105 so I don't use it all that much, but it gives me the option for AF longer range.

ts

dsobo Registered since 15th Sep 2012Sun 04-Nov-12 12:30 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: My new D5100"
In response to Reply # 5

US

After much research I have decided to go with the Nikon 70-300 although I really wish I could afford the f2.8 version.

Thank you all for your kind words I am really getting lots of use and great pictures. My greatest fan ( my lovely wife) has dedicated a wall in our home for my work and is very proud of what I have shot so far. I will be uploading to my gallery soon.

Thank you.

David~

jimmills Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Dec 2010Sun 04-Nov-12 03:32 PM
119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: My new D5100"
In response to Reply # 6

Fort Walton Beach, FL, US

I think you made a good choice. That lens has a lot of bang for the buck. If you want to see how it performs, there are 18 photos in my gallery. Every one of them was taken using the 70-300 mm VR like the one you went with. Most, if not all, were taken with the lens racked all the way out to 300mm.

Jim

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 04-Nov-12 09:35 PM
24996 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: My new D5100"
In response to Reply # 6
Sun 04-Nov-12 09:36 PM by MEMcD

US

Hi David,

Keep in mind that there are two versions of the Nikkor 70-300mm currently available.
Make sure you get the Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR and not the AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G which doesn't have an AF motor built into the lens and will not AF when mounted on your D5100.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

MontyG Registered since 26th Jul 2012Tue 06-Nov-12 03:02 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: My new D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

This is the tripod I bought (it was on sale for $149.95). At first I didn't think I would like the pistol-grip head, but now I actually enjoy using it. I use the tripod for both stills and video.

The included rock bag is handy for placing my ART USB Dual Pre (I use it as a preamp for XLR microphones when recording performances).

mguffin Registered since 25th Nov 2011Mon 12-Nov-12 04:02 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: My new D5100"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Most of my indoor shooting is chasing the kids around, so flash power wasn't the issue. I got the SB-400 with my D5100 because it's the smallest flash that I can bounce off the ceiling...

Also, the 55-300 seems to be a great value...

Mike

D610 ~ Fuji X-E1 ~ Ricoh GR

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 15-Nov-12 02:28 AM
4088 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: My new D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

Hi David (and others),

What tipped you over the edge in going D5100 over the D3200?

I am advising a lady from work and am curious what differentiated it for you? Sounds like you did a fair bit of analysis.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

dsobo Registered since 15th Sep 2012Fri 16-Nov-12 01:20 AM
#12. "RE: My new D5100"
In response to Reply # 11
Fri 16-Nov-12 01:30 AM by dsobo

US

What convinced me was the close proximity that it had in respect to the D7000 as far as all the characteristics. It was giving me the ability to be close as possible to a beginner pro class body without spending the extra money at this time. I may be off a bit on my aspects of comparison but it is the one i ultimately I chose and I m very satisfied with my results.
Awesome photos Jim!

Also I am very sorry for replying so late.

David~

http://StealthFoto.zenfolio.com

#dsobo130

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 08-Dec-12 01:16 PM
4088 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: My new D5100"
In response to Reply # 12

Alberta, CA

Thanks David,

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

casacristeva Registered since 08th Dec 2012Sat 08-Dec-12 11:53 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: My new D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

ES

Hi,

am new to this and I am looking to upgrade from the D50 to the 5100...

I would like to know if my D50 lenses and accessories will fit the 5100.

Many thanks and seasons greetings.......

Stece

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 08-Dec-12 01:21 PM
#15. "RE: My new D5100"
In response to Reply # 13

Alberta, CA

The answer is YES and NO!

The lenses will fit and you can photograph with them but whether they will function identically depends on:
- are they Screwdriver focus or AF-S focus lenses? The former will not autofocus on the D5100 but will on the D50.
- a whole range of issues and questions also apply to lenses manufactured in the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's regarding metering.

Let's keep it simple, what lenses do you have?

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

casacristeva Registered since 08th Dec 2012Sat 08-Dec-12 01:30 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: My new D5100"
In response to Reply # 15

ES

Hi,
thank you so much........

at present am using TAMRON AF 18-200 XR Di II (on the lens)

original lens motor went belly up, also have 200mm zoom..... all work with autofocus, also use the infra red remote too....

the body connections seem to be playing up and my wife says I can upgrade lol!

Steve

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 08-Dec-12 01:47 PM
#17. "RE: My new D5100"
In response to Reply # 16

Alberta, CA

Yes that lens will function identically on the D5100. For the IR-remote, I'm guessing you are referring to the ML-L3 wireless remote which also works.

Isn't it GREAT when the "chief financial officer", also known as "management", gives the go ahead on these kinds of things

Good luck with your new camera, they are a great bargain right now!
Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

casacristeva Registered since 08th Dec 2012Sat 08-Dec-12 05:07 PM
#18. "RE: My new D5100"
In response to Reply # 17

ES

thank you very much for your help....... am looking forward to getting it very soon.

I am the gadget person and my lovely wife is not into anyhing like, shoes, clothes, bags, make-up etc

so lucky am I! wish you and everyone here festive greetings

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6781 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.