Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6772
View in linear mode

Subject: "Back button focus (AF-On) with the D5100" Previous topic | Next topic
PRW Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Apr 2002Tue 25-Sep-12 10:51 AM
228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Back button focus (AF-On) with the D5100"

Plymouth, GB

Just a quick question.

I use the AF-ON button to focus with my D300, with the AF removed from the shutter button.

I am considering buying a D5100, and I know you can set the back button to AF-ON, but I cannot see a setting to remove AF from the shutter. Is this done automatically when setting the back button to AF-ON? I don't want the shutter to focus at all.

I have searched the internet, only to get conflicting information, and the downloaded D5100 manual is pretty vague.

Cheers

Kind regards,
Paul

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

www.paulwheelerphotography.com/
www.flickr.com/photos/paul_wheeler/

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

PRW Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Apr 2002Wed 26-Sep-12 09:16 AM
228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Back button focus (AF-On) with the D5100"
In response to Reply # 0

Plymouth, GB

Can I ask a fellow Nikonian with a D5100 to just test the setting on their D5100 and let me know the answer. Make sure your camera is set to an AF-C mode, and focuses with the shutter button, then go to Custom setting f2, Assign AE-L/AF-L button. Make a note of the setting you are using, and then set this to the last option AF-ON. This should now allow you to auto-focus with the AE-L/AF-L button, and hopefully remove AF from the shutter button.

There are many advantages to using this setting: Set the camera to AF-C focus mode. Now if you hold down the AE-L/AF-L button you get AF-C. If you press and release you get AF-S, and if you don't press it you have manual. (You may also have to change the shutter priority (option a1) to release for this to work. In addition set option c1 to ON, allowing you to half press the shutter to lock exposure.)

Hopefully I've not missed anything. Try it, especially if you shoot sports or wildlife

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Paul

PRW Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Apr 2002Wed 26-Sep-12 12:35 PM
#2. "RE: Back button focus (AF-On) with the D5100"
In response to Reply # 1

Plymouth, GB

Question answered

I went out and got my hands on a D5100, and tried out the settings for myself.

Assigning the AE-L/AF-L Button to AF-ON does automatically remove the AF function from the shutter button, as I was expecting. (On the D300 there is a separate setting for removing AF from the shutter.)

Kind regards,
Paul

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6772 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.