Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6724
View in linear mode

Subject: "Newbie Question - Shutter Release Disabled" Previous topic | Next topic
MeanWoman Registered since 19th Sep 2012Wed 19-Sep-12 02:08 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Newbie Question - Shutter Release Disabled"

CA

Hi.. new to Nikon & DSLR & this forum.. sorry for this very newbie question but I'm pretty paranoid since I'm such a newbie to DSLRs, and I'm not sure wheather this is a normal error message.

My D3100 displays the message "Shutter Released Disabled. Recharge Battery.", however.. I've only been using it for maybe 40-50 shots and 3-5 mins of video.. is this normal for the original battery?

I've only had the camera for about 2-3 days and charged it fully once..but I don't want to wait till after my refund period is up if there is something faulty with the camera/battery.

I'm hoping to get some insight from all of you experienced users..
Thanks in advance, any help is much appreciated!

Regards,

MW

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Newbie Question - Shutter Release Disabled
MEMcD Moderator
19th Sep 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
20th Sep 2012
Covey22 Moderator
20th Sep 2012
John Bertotti Silver Member
20th Sep 2012
MeanWoman
20th Sep 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 19-Sep-12 03:22 AM
25549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Newbie Question - Shutter Release Disabled"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi _____,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Congratulations on your new D3100.

Camera batteries need several charge and discharge cycles before they reach maximum capacity.

Were you using Live View to capture the 40-50 images?
The reason I ask, is Live View drinks batteries.

BTW:

We always encourage our members to fill in their real first and last names, and have made that issue a part of our Terms of Use.

The intent is to foster a community of "real people" instead of
mysterious web-personalities with anonymous screen names. Doing this helps to establish and maintain a safe, civil and friendly environment.

Thanks in advance.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Thu 20-Sep-12 03:45 AM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Newbie Question - Shutter Release Disabled"
In response to Reply # 0

HIXSON, US

Mean,

I don't have any experience with a D3100; However, I would do what the error message says, and recharge the battery. Then continue to use the camera, and see if it happens again. You should probably try to see if the camera is faulty first, but I recommend always having a backup battery.

Hopefully, others will be familiar with this particular problem.

Charlie

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 20-Sep-12 02:42 PM
10562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Newbie Question - Shutter Release Disabled"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Battery doesn't sound like it's fully holding the charge. I always buy at least one spare for each of my cameras (for the power hungry ones I'll get two). Get a good battery, confirm it's not the camera or the charger that's the problem.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Thu 20-Sep-12 03:39 PM
569 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Newbie Question - Shutter Release Disabled"
In response to Reply # 3

Garretson, US

My D3200 documentation said you can permanently damage the battery if you discharge it to far. When the battery is to low my camera shutter is disabled as well, the way it was designed. I can only guess that yours is the same.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MeanWoman Registered since 19th Sep 2012Thu 20-Sep-12 03:57 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Newbie Question - Shutter Release Disabled"
In response to Reply # 4

CA

Thanks for all of your helpful responses.

The battery is the original genuine battery that came with the purchase, so I'm hoping it's because I haven't gone through a few charge/discharge cycles.

I'm glad to hear that the D3200 has a feature that disables the shutter to prevent battery damage - at least I know it's probably not a defective camera as I can't imagine the D3100 would be that far off from D3200...

Hopefully in a few days I'm able to see improvement in the charge of the battery...

Thanks again!! I'm not as anxious anymore

MW

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6724 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.