nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6695
View in linear mode

Subject: "Canon analog FLash with a D3100" Previous topic | Next topic
Nikontherapy Registered since 29th Aug 2012Tue 11-Sep-12 11:54 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Canon analog FLash with a D3100"

US

have a D3100 , since I am a stay- home- mom -of -3 -year -old -twin -girls/ I have a minimum budget for photography which is my hobby-therapy.Anyway, My father brought me this awsome, prestine condition flash ( speedlite 300tl) which is part of his SLR Canon T80. I have heard @ my photography class that you should never but a canon flash on a Nikon camera or you might fry your Nikon DSLR. How true is that? I have a idea of using this flash as off camera flash or as slave one . I called B&H they recommended me to buy a
Interfit INT492 Hot Shoe and Strobe Flash Trigger Set . I noticed that this Speedlite worths around $ 150 in prestine condition! Is that worth it to sell it and get me another one ? Or Should I invest US$ and get me the interfit hot shoe and strobelight trigger? Thanks for your help!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Canon analog FLash with a D3100
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
12th Sep 2012
Nikontherapy
12th Sep 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
12th Sep 2012
12th Sep 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
12th Sep 2012
Nikontherapy
12th Sep 2012
12th Sep 2012
Nikontherapy
15th Sep 2012
17th Sep 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 12-Sep-12 03:16 AM
27014 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Canon analog FLash with a D3100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Alessandra,

>have a D3100 , since I am a stay- home- mom -of -3 -year -old
>-twin -girls/ I have a minimum budget for photography which is
>my hobby-therapy.Anyway, My father brought me this awsome,
>prestine condition flash ( speedlite 300tl) which is part of
>his SLR Canon T80. I have heard @ my photography class that
>you should never but a canon flash on a Nikon camera or you
>might fry your Nikon DSLR. How true is that?

It depends on the Sync voltage of the flash unit.
According to Photo Strobe Triggering Voltages the 300TL is safe to mount on your D3100 or any other Nikon DSLR.
You will have to set the D3100 in Manual exposure mode and Manual ISO mode and the 300TL in Manual flash mode for it to work.
You will have to set the aperture on the camera based on the flash to subject distance using the table in the 300TL Manual. You could also use a flash meter or the trial and error method using the histogram.

I have a idea of
>using this flash as off camera flash or as slave one . I
>called B&H they recommended me to buy a
>Interfit INT492 Hot Shoe and Strobe Flash Trigger Set . I
>noticed that this Speedlite worths around $ 150 in prestine
>condition! Is that worth it to sell it and get me another one
>? Or Should I invest US$ and get me the interfit hot shoe and
>strobelight trigger? Thanks for your help!

To use it as a remote you will have to set your camera in Manual exposure mode and Manual ISO using the Speedlight in Manual flash mode too.
With a Nikon SB-600 or SB-700 you will be able to take advantage of i-TTL flash control and set the camera in any exposure mode you want to use.
If you have experience using Manual flash and Manual exposure you know what to expect. If not there is a significant learning curve, especially if you want to shoot quickly as in snap-shots. If you don't have experience, I would recommend selling it and putting the money towards a used SB-600 or new SB-700. You can then use any exposure mode and take full advantage of i-TTL flash control.
The SB-400 is only slightly more powerful than the built in flash and is not compatible with wireless CLS Speedlights.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Nikontherapy Registered since 29th Aug 2012Wed 12-Sep-12 03:37 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Canon analog FLash with a D3100"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Marty, Thanks so much for this website Photostrobe trigger!
WOW , I was using a Vivitar 2800 on my hot shoe and Nikon
costumer service said ok! This speedlite generates only 3.75V
against whatever the 3 photographers said, higher , of course!
anyway, I had a brief on flash topic during my course, but I
will go back in October.
I do not have the manual for the speedlite 300tl, do you know
where I can get it ( for free, please) thanks once
again-Alessandra

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 12-Sep-12 03:48 AM
3438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Canon analog FLash with a D3100"
In response to Reply # 3

Hatboro, Pa, US

The manual.

http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes_meters/canon_speedlite_300tl.pdf

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 12-Sep-12 04:27 AM
27014 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Canon analog FLash with a D3100"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks, Len.

You beat me to it.

Best Regards,
Marty

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 12-Sep-12 03:36 AM
3438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Canon analog FLash with a D3100"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

I don't recommend using this flash no matter how many gadgets you get trying to make it work. The problem is there is no way to control the light output because it must interface with the Canon body to work in auto mode. You'll just get frustrated and still not get a properly exposed photo.

If you want something that will work you can get something like a Nikon SB-15. It has two Auto modes where all you need to do is set the ISO on the flash, put the flash in Auto 1 or Auto 2 and the flash will tell you what to set the lens aperture to. You can get one in excellent condition for about $12. I got one that came with an old film camera I bought on ebay. It works perfectly on my D3200.

I don't know about Canon flashes frying Nikon cameras but some very old flash units had very high sync voltages and could fry any modern digital camera. The old Vivitar 283 is one that comes to mind.

Len

Nikontherapy Registered since 29th Aug 2012Wed 12-Sep-12 08:03 PM
#6. "RE: Canon analog FLash with a D3100"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thks for your answer, will a sb-12 flash be suitable to my D3100 too?

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 12-Sep-12 08:38 PM
#7. "RE: Canon analog FLash with a D3100"
In response to Reply # 6

Hatboro, Pa, US

>Thks for your answer, will a sb-12 flash be suitable to my
>D3100 too?

No. The SB-12 has a different mounting foot so it can only mount on the Nikon F3 film rewind knob. It won't even mount on the D3100.

Len

Nikontherapy Registered since 29th Aug 2012Sat 15-Sep-12 10:49 PM
#8. "RE: Canon analog FLash with a D3100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Guys...I am so embaressed! Guess what! I took this flash to my hubby's retirement party , and ....I have never tested the flash on the hotshe!!!!!!!! All these questions that you guys were kind enough to answer me were in vain! I could use the flash as a off camera flash , period or try to put it on an umbrella . THe speedlite 300tl does have zoom ( 24-85 mm) and works on 2 modes hi and low . I would guess would be something between full capacity and 1/16 . I hope it would be like 1/8 .Any other thoughts about the usage of this great flash, thanks!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 17-Sep-12 05:46 AM
#9. "RE: Canon analog FLash with a D3100"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Hi Alessandra,

See page 30 in the Manual for the Guide Number Chart for Manual Hi.
The top chart is in meters, the bottom chart is in feet.

For Manual Lo you will have to divide the Guide Number shown in the chart by 4.

There should be a sticker with the chart on the flash unit as well.

It appears that Manual Hi is Full Power and Manual Lo is 1/4 Power.

Assuming you are using direct flash, you will have to find the GN in the chart based on your ISO setting and the Zoom setting of the Flash head. Then use the formula:
Aperture = GN/Shooting distance (Flash to Subject distance)
to determine the Aperture setting you will have to Manually set in the camera.
When you use Manual Lo you will have to divide the GN shown in the table by 4 and plug that number into the equasion to determine the Aperture setting.

If you want to use an umbrella or other light modifier you will have to use a light (flash) meter or the Trial and Error Method to set the correct Aperture.

The beauty of a Nikon SB-600, SB-700, SB-800, SB-900, SB-910, or even an SB-400 or your built in flash is you can let i-TTL flash control do all the calculations for you instantly.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6695 Previous topic | Next topic