Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6652
View in linear mode

Subject: "extension tubes" Previous topic | Next topic
TashSt Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for her great compositional insight and talent, as she is always willing to experiment with new perspectives. This is particularly evident in the exceptional, captivating images she posts in the Nude Forum where she always shares in the Nikonians spirit.
Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2011Thu 06-Sep-12 05:20 AM
543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"extension tubes"

AU

hi all

i have a bit of a rookie question. I bought an (admittedly cheap) extension tube, but my D5100 doesn't like it. It tells me that there is no lens attached when I use it. Is there something I have to turn off in the camera? I didn't get one with AF and bells and whistles since I was going to use it for macro and I don't use af anyway.. maybe I should have just splashed out.

any ideas? the extension tube is a Nikon brand one... my macro lens is a Tamron, but it didn't work with the standard nikkor either...

www.impressstphotography.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: extension tubes
blw Moderator
06th Sep 2012
TashSt Silver Member
06th Sep 2012
aolander Silver Member
06th Sep 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
06th Sep 2012
MEMcD Moderator
06th Sep 2012
TashSt Silver Member
06th Sep 2012

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 06-Sep-12 10:04 AM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: extension tubes"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

It's cheap because it doesn't work on most modern cameras! I'd guess it's a PK-13 or PN-11? At any rate, the problem is that this extension tube is just that: a tube. It has no mechanism for transmitting aperture settings from the lens, and since the camera now does not know how the lens is operating, it can't meter.

The only extension tubes that will meter on your camera are the ones from Kenko. They have the required electrical contacts to meter.

The old Nikon tubes are very well made but they only work on cameras that can meter with non-CPU lenses, basically the D300, D7000 and the FX ones.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

TashSt Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for her great compositional insight and talent, as she is always willing to experiment with new perspectives. This is particularly evident in the exceptional, captivating images she posts in the Nude Forum where she always shares in the Nikonians spirit.
Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2011Thu 06-Sep-12 01:22 PM
543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: extension tubes"
In response to Reply # 1

AU

Ah, thanks Brian.

I'll look at the Kenkos..

anyone wanna buy a cheap extension tube?

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Thu 06-Sep-12 01:45 PM
3191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: extension tubes"
In response to Reply # 2

Nevis, US

Which Nikon tube do you have? I might be interested.

Alan

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Thu 06-Sep-12 02:39 PM
2937 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: extension tubes"
In response to Reply # 2

Hatboro, Pa, US

>Ah, thanks Brian.
>
>I'll look at the Kenkos..
>
>anyone wanna buy a cheap extension tube?

Just to add to what Brian said, the Kenko tubes will autofocus with all nikon AF and AFS lenses provided your camera body supports both type lenses. Of course AF is not very useful when taking macro photos with tubes. However it is useful if you want to use AF on longer lenses just to reduce the lens to subject distance.

Len

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 06-Sep-12 03:58 PM
25663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: extension tubes"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Tash,

Since the extension tube has no connections with the camera body you must use a lens that has an Aperture Ring (like your Tamron SP AF 180mm f/3.5 Di LD Macro) and set the camera in Manual Exposure mode and Manual ISO. The extension tubes will not work with G-Type lenses that do not have Aperture Rings.

The cameras meter will not work so you will have to use a hand held Light Meter or the Trial and Error method (using the cameras histogram) to set the exposure. It isn't as hard as it sounds.

You will have to set the Aperture (f/#) on the lens via the aperture ring and the shutter speed and ISO on the camera body.
Focus the lens before you stop down the aperture because the more you stop down the aperture the darker the viewfinder will get.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2011Thu 06-Sep-12 11:52 PM
#6. "RE: extension tubes"
In response to Reply # 5

AU

you've just made my cheap tube useful.. thanks you! (This will also force me to use manual mode - a good thing)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6652 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.