Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #665
View in linear mode

Subject: "Noisy autofocus on D5000?" Previous topic | Next topic
sean808080 Registered since 18th Sep 2009Mon 28-Sep-09 04:15 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Noisy autofocus on D5000?"

US

Hi all
I'm a newbie DSLR owner with a Nikon D5000 w/ stock lens that I'm pleased with. Only question I have is that I find the autofocus motor pretty noisy. Is this typical or should it be relatively silent?

Thanks in advance,
Sean808080

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Noisy autofocus on D5000?
Ramesses
28th Sep 2009
sean808080
29th Sep 2009
Ramesses
29th Sep 2009
MEMcD Moderator
28th Sep 2009
Mighty Maya
19th Oct 2009
calv1124
19th Oct 2009

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Mon 28-Sep-09 04:38 PM
2035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Noisy autofocus on D5000?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Sean:

Welcome to Nikonians.

The AF motor should be very quiet. I am assuming that the “stock lens” is the 18-55 VR. Since the D5000 does not have a focusing motor and if there is a problem, it resides with the lens. However, can you describe the noise, what type of noise it is, and how loud?

Best Regards,

Ramesses

A Nikonian in Kemet

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos

sean808080 Registered since 18th Sep 2009Tue 29-Sep-09 12:43 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Noisy autofocus on D5000?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for the reply. Yup it's the 18-55 with the motor built in. I recorded the lens doing its thing. To me it sounds like an old car starting or gears noise.

I tried recording it here:

http://audioboo.fm/boos/66615-noisy-autofocus-on-nikon-d5000

You may have to turn up the volume to hear it after I stop jabbering.

Thanks again.
S

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Tue 29-Sep-09 04:08 PM
2035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Noisy autofocus on D5000?"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue 29-Sep-09 05:40 PM by Ramesses

US

Hi Sean:

Thanks for the audio on the 18-55 focusing. I do not have the 18-55; therefore it is hard for me to say if it is normal or not. It does not sound that bad, imho. I believe that Marty has an excellent suggestion to go to your local dealer to check their 18-55. It is the only way to know for certain.

Does it take this long to focus or it was just for recording the sound. If it takes this long, it seems that the lens is hunting. In other words, it is having trouble focusing, which might mean a different problem. I think that the 18-55 should snap into focus much quicker than it does.

One thing that you can do is to bring it close to focus manually and then AF it. If it takes this long, then the lens is having problems auto focusing. This could be the lens or even the camera. You can also try the camera with another lens. Unfortunately, I do not know what you have because your profile has very limited information.

Best Regards,

Ramesses

A Nikonian in Kemet

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 28-Sep-09 08:01 PM
26463 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Noisy autofocus on D5000?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Sean,

Welcome to Nikonians!
As Hektor states AF-S type lenses should be almost silent.
If you have a Dealer close by see if their Demo camera makes the same noise. If not return the lens for exchange with your dealer or send it in to Nikon for repair.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Mighty Maya Registered since 19th Oct 2009Mon 19-Oct-09 04:57 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Noisy autofocus on D5000?"
In response to Reply # 2

AU

Hi Sean,

Yes I know exactly what you meant. I bought my partner a D5000 twin VR kit two weeks ago, but haven't been able to play around with it until this morning.

It seems that when attached with the 18-55mm VR lens, the D5000 / the lens makes that noise when it 'hunts' the object with the autofocus.

Anybody has similar problem???

Have you been able to find out more about yours? Or better yet, have you fix the problem?

I own a D80 and 18-200mm VR lens as well as a 50mm f/1.8 lens, and never experience this problem before.

Does that mean that there's something wrong with certain D5000, or certain 18-55mm VR lens?

Maybe I should try the D5000 body with different lenses / 18-55mm VR with different camera body.

Help...

calv1124 Registered since 12th Oct 2009Mon 19-Oct-09 09:00 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Noisy autofocus on D5000?"
In response to Reply # 0

AU

It's the normal sound haha
I guess it's just the lens motor, but yea, it does sound weird.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #665 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.