Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #664
View in linear mode

Subject: "D5000 & GPS" Previous topic | Next topic
glm Registered since 16th Sep 2009Mon 28-Sep-09 11:03 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D5000 & GPS"

AU

I am considering getting GPS for my D5000 and I am keen to hear the views on using a GPS and which one to buy for it, Nikon branded & third party.

We travel quite bit and I think it might be a worthy investment.

Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D5000 & GPS
snapsh0t
28th Sep 2009
ennbr
04th Oct 2009
bob1217 Silver Member
07th Oct 2009
snapsh0t
07th Oct 2009
gkaiseril Gold Member
07th Oct 2009
snapsh0t
23rd Oct 2009
gkaiseril Gold Member
28th Sep 2009
glm
29th Sep 2009
greenwing Gold Member
30th Sep 2009
phantomsailor
03rd Oct 2009
greenwing Gold Member
05th Oct 2009
snapsh0t
05th Oct 2009
williamsong
26th Nov 2009
mikerryan
08th Jan 2010
KyleandStan
06th Aug 2010
REEDWATERS Silver Member
11th Aug 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
11th Aug 2010

snapsh0t Registered since 30th Aug 2009Mon 28-Sep-09 07:30 PM
157 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D5000 & GPS"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 28-Sep-09 07:31 PM by snapsh0t

GB

The Nikon GP-1 is so expensive I wouldn't even consider it. I've been using ebay item 370260641559 with my D90 and it seems to work as expected. I needed to put a strip of tape under the foot to make it a bit firmer in the flash shoe but that's been the only problem. I believe there's a supplier in the USA that also sells it. Item 170388341342 is also a possibility and looks like a more polished product.

Whichever one you go for, I recommend using the KUSO EXIF viewer to look at the GPS data. It has the advantage that it'll drop the co-ordinates straight into maps.google.com.

Jonathan

ennbr Registered since 07th Feb 2009Sun 04-Oct-09 11:13 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D5000 & GPS"
In response to Reply # 1

US

My feeling is that you get what you pay for. I started out with an external pocket GPS they all work if you don't mind third party software to marry the GPS data to your images. And don't forget the extra time in post to add the GPS data. Or if you forget to sync the time between the external GPS and the D5000 the GPS locations won't lineup with your images.

After several months I then purchased the Nikon GP-1 it was well worth the money for the convenience of having the GPS data embedded into my pictures as they are taken.

My only complaint is the cable connecting the GP-1 to the D5000 is to long it could be half the length.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

bob1217 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jan 2009Wed 07-Oct-09 02:26 AM
311 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D5000 & GPS"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 07-Oct-09 02:29 AM by bob1217

Monroe, US

I'm not very familiar with the D5000. However, before Nikon introduced their GP-1, I successfully mounted a Geko 301 GPS unit to my D300, using the Nikon MC-35 GPS cord. I attached the Geko to the hotshoe using, of all things, a rubber cushion that fits between a toilet tank and bowl (don't laugh, it worked really well and it only took 2 minutes to find it on my workbench and cut it down to size!). The Geko 301 was at that time the smallest hand-held unit on the market, so it was very lightweight, plus I could use it off-camera for hiking. The MC-35 cord was quite long and bulky, so I attached the extra cable to the bottom of my camera using velcro for a strong but easy on/off attachment. The only watchout is that you'll need to cover your serial number so that the tape from the velcro doesn't lift off the serial number if you ever decide to take the velcro off.

This rig worked well, and all of the GPS data was automatically logged into the exif file. I didn't have to do anything at all for the info to show up in the exif data. If you want the coordinates to be translated into a city or town alpha name, there are plenty of programs that will do that for you (if you post online, Flickr does it automatically when it reads the coordinates from the exif data).

It's not quite as sleek as the GP-1, but it does the job and the GPS can be removed and used conventionally. BTW, the MC-35 cord allows the use of a flash in the hotshoe while the GPS is connected. In that scenario, you can mount the GPS on a straight flash bracket ($10), or you can just let the GPS dangle while the flash is in the hot shoe. Or if the D5000 permits (?), you might be able to keep the GPS in the hot shoe and fire your flash off-camera in Wireless Commander mode.

Please visit my Nikonians gallery

snapsh0t Registered since 30th Aug 2009Wed 07-Oct-09 07:31 AM
157 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D5000 & GPS"
In response to Reply # 9

GB

The D5000 doesn't have the 10-pin connector so an MC-35 can't be used with it.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 07-Oct-09 02:10 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D5000 & GPS"
In response to Reply # 9

Chicago, US

Like the D90 the D5000 uses the MC-DC2 remote release and the port that this corded remote plugs into not only supports the shutter release but also has a data port like the D90 and like the D90 does not have the 10 pin accessory port. So you use the same cord, GP1-CA90, that the D90 uses. This cord is supplied with the GP-1.

See page 114 of your D5000 manual for instructions on how to attach the GP-1 GPS unit.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

snapsh0t Registered since 30th Aug 2009Fri 23-Oct-09 07:42 AM
#13. "RE: D5000 & GPS"
In response to Reply # 12

GB

In KUSO, right-click on one of the GPS co-ordinates then go down to 'Locate Spot on Map by GPS' and select Google Maps.

Jonathan

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 28-Sep-09 07:36 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D5000 & GPS"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 28-Sep-09 07:42 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

I would consider a GPS that can log position and then add the GPS as a post processing step. This will allow for shooting with multiple cameras or geotagging images for a group. Depending upon what GPS you get, you may have a GPS that can be used for directions, hiking and geocaching. There are handheld models for 1/2 the price of the Nikon unit.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

glm Registered since 16th Sep 2009Tue 29-Sep-09 09:03 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D5000 & GPS"
In response to Reply # 2

AU

The Nikon is certainly over the top in price. I was having a look at a brand called Solmeta.

Has any one ever heard of used this brand?

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Wed 30-Sep-09 02:08 PM
1293 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D5000 & GPS"
In response to Reply # 3

Yorkshire, GB

Solmeta GPS units are sold by the Nikonians shop. They have a few advantages over the Nikon GP-1, like recording orientation and (iirc) being able to run from their own battery and not drain the camera. But the price is up there with the GP-1.

https://www.photoproshop.com/usa/product_info.php/cPath/134/products_id/779?osCsid=1fc35f74343e1ac64c7ea26be951b3ab

For now, I have an external GPS track recorder & add the geotags after the shoot. I don't like bits & pieces strung off the camera.

Chris

phantomsailor Registered since 03rd Oct 2009Sat 03-Oct-09 10:37 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D5000 & GPS"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 04-Oct-09 11:35 PM by phantomsailor

Norwich, US

The GN-1 GPS for Nikon referred to in Reply 1 from E-Bay (without cables or manuals at $116) is available at http://www.pc-mobile.net/nikongps.htm for $95 and includes cables and manuals.

No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen.
Minor White

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Mon 05-Oct-09 06:18 PM
1293 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D5000 & GPS"
In response to Reply # 5

Yorkshire, GB

The cable looks a bit stretched on the D5K, don't you think?

Chris

snapsh0t Registered since 30th Aug 2009Mon 05-Oct-09 06:59 PM
#8. "RE: D5000 & GPS"
In response to Reply # 7

GB

Agreed. I wonder if there's a good reason for the remote socket being the other way up from the D90's or if Nikon's engineers just felt like a practical joke....

Jonathan

williamsong Registered since 16th Nov 2009Thu 26-Nov-09 08:55 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D5000 & GPS"
In response to Reply # 8

US

I am using a brand new Easytagger gps which you may find it here at www.e-geotag.com

It can geotag in real time, when you take the photo, the gps information is already in the EXIF and it also has a 2Gb micro SD card to store at least 3 years way points. With that, it can allow one to geotag images from any other digital cameras.

It also has the features below

Barometric altimeter integrated

Built-in 2 axis magnetic sensor to show direction

Auto geotag indoors by memorise the last received GPS signal when losing satellites

mikerryan Registered since 25th Dec 2009Fri 08-Jan-10 12:27 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D5000 & GPS"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Geotagging is fun and meaningful. I now in use with an Easytagger GPS now and I just take photos and then upload it to Google Earth. I also upload and save my trails there.

KyleandStan Registered since 05th Aug 2010Fri 06-Aug-10 06:33 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: D5000 & GPS"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Try solmeta geotagger Products. I got one solmeta geotagger PRO.
It works pretty good. I am happy with this Product.

REEDWATERS Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jun 2010Wed 11-Aug-10 05:56 AM
58 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: D5000 & GPS"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 11-Aug-10 05:58 AM by REEDWATERS

Hedgesville, US

OK, so why a GPS? Tell me that I'm wrong but I can think of a VERY few situations where it can really be helpful.

Reed

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 11-Aug-10 02:05 PM
#18. "RE: D5000 & GPS"
In response to Reply # 17
Wed 11-Aug-10 02:07 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

That is your opinion. Realtors can use the GPS data to mark and link to locations on map. Researchers can establish the location of the photographer when taking images of natural features, plants, etc and return the the same location to take a comparison shot or relocate the location. Hikers can use GPS to document their location on trails. Travelers can use it to map their travels.

Non-photographic use, notify emergency personnel of your location when off the hard surface road and you run into trouble, like a trial on Mount Washington in January. The GPS is use with my camrea can even aid in providing driving directions, so I do not need to buy a $1,000.00 builtin GPS unit for my car or I can add a GPS unit to a car that does not have one.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #664 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.