Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6612
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D5100-Subject is to dark; cannot adjust exposure;..." Previous topic | Next topic
Danielrd Registered since 29th Jun 2012Fri 31-Aug-12 01:58 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D5100-Subject is to dark; cannot adjust exposure;Use the flash"

greenbelt, US

I continuously receive this error(subject is too dark; cannot adjust exposure. use the flash) and (lighting is poor; flash recommended) throughout the day an every single time at night. I even bring the issue forward to my professor and he don't understand why this error comes up. Do you think my D5100 is malfunction? Is there a way I can stop this from happening? I called Nikon directly an there feed back make no sense at all.
It seems like this camera can't be used at night without the error popping up recommending the use of flash. Appreciate the feedback sincerely.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D5100-Subject is to dark; cannot adjust expos...
JosephK Silver Member
31st Aug 2012
Danielrd
01st Sep 2012
JosephK Silver Member
01st Sep 2012
Danielrd
01st Sep 2012
aolander Silver Member
31st Aug 2012
Danielrd
01st Sep 2012
JosephK Silver Member
01st Sep 2012
Danielrd
01st Sep 2012
dlhotka
31st Aug 2012
Danielrd
02nd Sep 2012
dlhotka
02nd Sep 2012
Canon_kev
29th Sep 2012

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Fri 31-Aug-12 02:47 AM
4614 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D5100-Subject is to dark; cannot adjust exposure;Use the flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Human eyes often think there is more light than there really is.

What we need is a accurate description of the lighting conditions and the settings of the camera. Can you upload an example with the full EXIF data included?

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 D,
17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Danielrd Registered since 29th Jun 2012Sat 01-Sep-12 01:40 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D5100-Subject is to dark; cannot adjust exposure;Use the flash"
In response to Reply # 1

greenbelt, US

sorry for the late response. this is the EXIF data from a picture i have on ViewNX 2. its a picture of a flower.
File Info 1
File: _DSC0138.NEF
Date Created: 8/29/2012 2:55:41 PM
Date Modified: 8/30/2012 5:21:24 PM
File Size: 14.2 MB
Image Size: L (4928 x 3264)

File Info 2
Date Shot: 8/29/2012 14:55:41.40
Time Zone and Date: UTC-5, DST:ON
Image Quality: Compressed RAW (14-bit)
Artist:
Copyright:
Image Comment:

Camera Info
Device: Nikon D5100
Lens: VR 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6G
Focal Length: 46mm
Focus Mode: AF-C
AF-Area Mode: Auto
VR: OFF
AF Fine Tune:

Exposure
Aperture: F/5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/160s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Exposure Tuning:
Metering: Center-Weighted
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 100

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 01-Sep-12 03:42 AM
4614 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon D5100-Subject is to dark; cannot adjust exposure;Use the flash"
In response to Reply # 4

Seattle, WA, US

That is a good half. Can you save the pic as a jpg and upload it to your gallery so we can see what you are seeing?

Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

Danielrd Registered since 29th Jun 2012Sat 01-Sep-12 07:27 AM
#9. "RE: Nikon D5100-Subject is to dark; cannot adjust exposure;Use the flash"
In response to Reply # 6

greenbelt, US

finally uploaded some pictures. some of the good ones. I'll post the bad ones in a few. Its in my gallery as requested.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Fri 31-Aug-12 02:51 AM
3296 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D5100-Subject is to dark; cannot adjust exposure;Use the flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

It's not an error. The camera is trying to be "helpful" in cases where lighting is poor, backlit, etc. What exposure modes are you using and which lens?

Alan

Danielrd Registered since 29th Jun 2012Sat 01-Sep-12 01:44 AM
#5. "RE: Nikon D5100-Subject is to dark; cannot adjust exposure;Use the flash"
In response to Reply # 2

greenbelt, US

the exposure currently used is the A(aperture). and sometimes P. I pretty new to dslr. P,S,A select automatically. I prefer manual mode but I was told its best to learn those P,S,A first and foremost. Then gradually move into manual mode. Did you guys start of dslr that same way? appreciate the response.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 01-Sep-12 03:50 AM
#7. "RE: Nikon D5100-Subject is to dark; cannot adjust exposure;Use the flash"
In response to Reply # 5

Seattle, WA, US

My first film SLR had only P, A, and M modes. Started in A, pretty much stayed there. I run my DSLRs in A mode 95% of the time, Manual mode for special needs. If I don't like what the camera is picking for a shutter speed, I usually set the EV compensation or use the AE-Lock, rarely going to manual mode. I don't recall ever using shutter-speed priority; have only "played" with Program mode.

Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

Danielrd Registered since 29th Jun 2012Sat 01-Sep-12 05:26 AM
#8. "RE: Nikon D5100-Subject is to dark; cannot adjust exposure;Use the flash"
In response to Reply # 7

greenbelt, US

ok, i see... i don't quite understand the EV compensation and AE-Lock at the moment. reference manual it is. I see the AE-Lock it all the time on the camera but never understand its function. So the A mode is pretty much preferred more than others. I actually got a few pictures I can post so you guys can see of the A mode. I can't remember the link where the pictures need posting.

dlhotka Registered since 23rd Jul 2012Fri 31-Aug-12 03:36 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D5100-Subject is to dark; cannot adjust exposure;Use the flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver, CA

As Alan said, it's not an error message, but a warning. Your camera will still take the photos.

Just as a test I actually managed to even overexpose a shot while the message was showing (yeah I exaggerated every setting possible).

I think what it also might mean is that the subject has no lighter tones (don't cameras try to expose at 18% grey?) and so the camera literally can't see enough to decide how to expose the image.

---------------

Visit my Nikonians Gallery!
Critique welcome!

Danielrd Registered since 29th Jun 2012Sun 02-Sep-12 07:01 AM
#10. "RE: Nikon D5100-Subject is to dark; cannot adjust exposure;Use the flash"
In response to Reply # 3

greenbelt, US

i try taking pictures in the night time with A,P,S,M an its slow or sometimes don't snap at all. it always ask for the flash. i try adding more ISO but the same issue occurs.

dlhotka Registered since 23rd Jul 2012Sun 02-Sep-12 12:31 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon D5100-Subject is to dark; cannot adjust exposure;Use the flash"
In response to Reply # 10

Vancouver, CA

The camera no letting you snap at all occurs by default when it can't get a focus lock. There is an option to turn that off in the custom settings menu, option a1.

Does the autofocus assist light turn on? It should come on by default to help the camera focus in low light conditions, you can check that it's custom setting a2.

I don't know what you are shooting but areas with contrast help the camera to focus better, so basically not a solid color wall.

---------------

Visit my Nikonians Gallery!
Critique welcome!

Canon_kev Registered since 29th Sep 2012Sat 29-Sep-12 02:42 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Nikon D5100-Subject is to dark; cannot adjust exposure;Use the flash"
In response to Reply # 11

GB

Part of the problem maybe because you are using centre weighted average metering rather than matrix metering. Adjust your metering to matrix and that will help.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6612 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.