Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6605
View in linear mode

Subject: "Decisions & Trade Offer" Previous topic | Next topic
Wj9dwest Registered since 17th Jul 2012Tue 28-Aug-12 01:33 AM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Decisions & Trade Offer"
Tue 28-Aug-12 01:35 AM by Wj9dwest

Scappoose, US

I have a houseful (just ask my wife!) of film Nikons, but I lucked into an opportunity to do the photos for a book. Since the subjects will be transient (not transients), it will be hard to wait a week for film to be developed. This points me to digital, that I have little experience with. I had originally thought about buying a P7100 because it would be unobtrusive. My local camera shop said that the image quality would not be "book-quality", so now I'm thinking about a D3100 - small, light, & great image quality. Has anyone else had to make this type of decision? What are your thoughts? As an aside, anyone want to trade a D3100 w/18-55mm for a F4S w/ both battery packs, 28-85mm zoom, 50mm AF 1.8, SB-28(i thkni) strobe &'all boxes?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 28-Aug-12 02:07 AM
10799 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Decisions & Trade Offer"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I'll pass on the offer, but I can say without hesitation that you can and will get publication-quality prints with the D3100. Just watch the higher ISOs. Also - 16MP is a LOT, so if you've never shot with that high a resolving power, treat the handling aspects with kid gloves - shoot supported.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Tue 28-Aug-12 07:37 AM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Decisions & Trade Offer"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 28-Aug-12 07:50 AM by jpFoto

US

The D3100 is a very nice camera, but for a few dollars more you can get the D3200 which has the best sensor of any Nikon DX camera made to date. Keep in mind that your other lenses, unless they are AF-S lenses, will not auto-focus with any of the D3000-D5000 series cameras. Also, for the same price as a D3200 you could get the D5100 which would probably be my second choice, or maybe even my first choice, depending upon my needs.

As for the F4s, it was the best 35mm film camera that I have ever owned. I sold mine about four years ago. I'm not going back, and I think that once you get one of these "state of the art" digital cameras that your film days may be coming to an end too.

jP

Wj9dwest Registered since 17th Jul 2012Wed 29-Aug-12 01:47 AM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Decisions & Trade Offer"
In response to Reply # 2

Scappoose, US

Just to let you all know, I've decided to use my F4 & shoot film. I've done it before & it justnfeels right. Thanks fornall the advice!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6605 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.