Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6589
View in linear mode

Subject: "How do I turn of the shutter noise D3200" Previous topic | Next topic
maddieraz Registered since 24th Jul 2012Sun 26-Aug-12 06:14 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How do I turn of the shutter noise D3200"

Twickenham, GB

Hi I like street photography and now experimenting with shooting from the hip. It would really help if I could turn off the sound the shutter makes but I cannot work out how. Is this possible with the D3200?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How do I turn of the shutter noise D3200
gkaiseril Gold Member
26th Aug 2012
maddieraz
26th Aug 2012
greenwing Gold Member
26th Aug 2012
maddieraz
26th Aug 2012
jpFoto
26th Aug 2012
maddieraz
26th Aug 2012
pistnbroke Silver Member
27th Aug 2012
maddieraz
27th Aug 2012
pistnbroke Silver Member
27th Aug 2012
maddieraz
27th Aug 2012

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 26-Aug-12 06:43 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How do I turn of the shutter noise D3200"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Unlike the P&S cameras that have an electronic shutter, not mirror to move and a simulated shutter click, dSLRs have 2 mechanical shutters that move up and down at different times, needs to stop down the lens's iris, and mechanically move a mirror up and out of the way before the shutter leaves move. All of these subsystems create real mechanical noise just like a hammer hitting a nail but not as loud.

You can purchase "blimps" to dampen the noise but with such an odd looking camera, you might bring more attention to yourself

George
My Nikonian Galleries

maddieraz Registered since 24th Jul 2012Sun 26-Aug-12 07:04 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How do I turn of the shutter noise D3200"
In response to Reply # 1

Twickenham, GB

Thanks George, I will just have to make other noises to distract from the sound of the shutter going off

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Sun 26-Aug-12 08:14 PM
1301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How do I turn of the shutter noise D3200"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

You can't get rid of the sound altogether, but try Quiet mode to dampen it down a bit.

Chris

maddieraz Registered since 24th Jul 2012Sun 26-Aug-12 08:18 PM
#4. "RE: How do I turn of the shutter noise D3200"
In response to Reply # 3

Twickenham, GB

Thanks where do I find quiet mode?

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Sun 26-Aug-12 09:16 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: How do I turn of the shutter noise D3200"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 26-Aug-12 09:22 PM by jpFoto

US

There are a couple of different ways to do it, but the easiest is use the button over the trash button to select the release mode. The top choice is single, the next is continuous, then self timer, then remote 2 second, remote and finally Q for quiet.

You can also use the bottom left button, the information/edit button, on the back of the camera and then toggle over to the release modes and do the same thing.

It's detailed on page 31 of the downloadable Reference Manual. (It's also on the CD that came with the camera, but there is no printed version with the camera.)

jP

maddieraz Registered since 24th Jul 2012Sun 26-Aug-12 09:35 PM
#6. "RE: How do I turn of the shutter noise D3200"
In response to Reply # 5

Twickenham, GB

Hi jp that does seem a little quieter, thanks for the tip

pistnbroke Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Mon 27-Aug-12 10:29 AM
184 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: How do I turn of the shutter noise D3200"
In response to Reply # 6

GB

The D3200 is already very quiet ..much quieter then my D7000....much more important for street work to use a plain strap and cover the Nikon logo with tape...

Your camera will take the vertical grip for a D3100 or 5100 by the way.

maddieraz Registered since 24th Jul 2012Mon 27-Aug-12 10:42 AM
#8. "RE: How do I turn of the shutter noise D3200"
In response to Reply # 7

Twickenham, GB

That's a great tip, I am also checking out the Gordy straps. Currently I am practicing shooting from the hip, great fun.

pistnbroke Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Mon 27-Aug-12 10:57 AM
184 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: How do I turn of the shutter noise D3200"
In response to Reply # 8

GB

shooting from the hip ..10-20mm sigma lens

maddieraz Registered since 24th Jul 2012Mon 27-Aug-12 11:22 AM
#10. "RE: How do I turn of the shutter noise D3200"
In response to Reply # 9

Twickenham, GB

I have only recently invested in the lenses I have so cannot afford a new one right now. I have a 35mm and the 18-200

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D5300/D5200/D5100/D5000/D3300/D3200/D3100/D3000 (Public) topic #6589 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.